Are Torx heads the same as Star?

ymz

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI Wagon, 2003 Jetta TDI Wagon
I was looking at security bits to keep in my toolbox, and noticed that the store had both Torx and "Star" security bits... Are they the same ?????? (given the tendancy of the maufacturers to head toward propriety, I'd be surprised if they were....)

The sets come with T-10,15,20,25,27,30,40. Aside from the weird 5-point bit I'll need for my MAF, are these all that would be found ?

Thanks,

pepper10

Veteran Member
TDI
:)2002 A4 TDI , 2006 A5:)
If they are labeled with a "T" before the number as in T-15, then it is a Torx bit. They are a 6-point pattern and are used throughout our cars.

frugality

Top Post Dawg
TDI
none, 2016 GTI
The sets come with T-10,15,20,25,27,30,40. Aside from the weird 5-point bit I'll need for my MAF, are these all that would be found ?
I think more than half of the torx bits in that set would be useless. Most every torx screw you'll have on your car will be either T-10 or T-15. If I remember correctly, the belly pan has 2 T-20 screws. Nothing larger than that (but someone correct me if I'm wrong.) So you might be better off buying 2 or 3 separate drivers rather than a whole set. I have one of those drivers that has different sized torx bits stored in the handle. But I also have a separate T-10 and T-15 because it's nice to have the bit stay with the driver rather than end up in the screw. Or lost.

Here's a place that has the security bits:
http://shop.metalnerd.com/index.cgi?code=3&cat=5

pepper10

Veteran Member
TDI
:)2002 A4 TDI , 2006 A5:)
Metalnerd sell the security bit for the MAF for $4 plus shipping so around $10. I bought a set of security Torx bits at Autozone for $15. 6 bits in the set. Thought it was worthwile...

compu_85

Gadget Guy
TDI
... None :S
FWFW, most of the torque screws on the VW are the same size as the ones on Compaq comptuers. Works out nicely for me

-Jason

ymz

Top Post Dawg
TDI
>>most of the torque screws on the VW are the same size as the ones on Compaq comptuers<<

You're showing your age^H^H^H youth, sonny.... I bought a couple of Torx screwdrivers when I needed to adjust my Diablo 630 printer....

Pepper10: Unfortunately I'll need the 5 point security bit, which is a BIT more expensive... I'll order that from Roseland in Canada when I'm ready to do my brakes...

So is the MAF the only thing on the VW that will require a security bit ???

130 HP Golf

TDI
2002 Golf 130hp
Torx are 6 pointed and star are 5 pointed.
The MAF on the 2002 and later models went from Torx to 5 pointed Star security bits, metalnerd sells them both.

ymz

Top Post Dawg
TDI
>>Torx are 6 pointed and star are 5 pointed<<

Perhaps on your side of the Atlantic, where they tend to use the proper word to describe whatever it is they're trying to describe....

These "Star" bits were definitely 6 pointed.... I was just wondering if the overall shape of the opening in the bolt-head was slightly different... (like triple-square versus "normal" 12 pointed... I have some ancient relics left over from my Type 3 and 4 days....)

I'll order the MetalNerd tools from the Canadian dealer, Roseland.... give some business to the local, and eliminate the cross-border hassles...

Cheers,

MOGolf

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 Golf GLS TDI Reflex silver, rough road suspension and steel skid plate, 2004 Passat Variant, Candy White, rough road suspension and geared balanced shaft module, and much, much more. 2016 LR RR HSE TD6, 2019 Jaguar I-PACE
If it has 6 points, it is Torx screw.
If it has 6 points + a center pin, it is a Torx 'tamper-proof' screw.
If it has 6 points rounded, it is a Torx Plus screw.
If it has 5 points + a center pin, it is a Torx Plus 'tamper-proof' screw.

(corrected after I went to one of my tool supplier's webpages)

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
Torx Plus are 6 pointed, but the points are rounded. The only things I know of that use Torx Plus are some Ford truck caliper bolts and some VW/Audi head bolts. I have a set from Snap On, but have only ever used a couple sizes.

Gotta be careful, because at first glance they look like a regular Torx, and a regular Torx bit will fit in, but will not grab the fastener properly and can destroy it or the tool!

The 5 pointers I think right now are just star socketed. Snap On currently does not have these (or at least my dealer does not know of them yet).

Edit: now MOGolf's description is correct.

frugality

Top Post Dawg
TDI
none, 2016 GTI
hehehe. I caught myself thinking, "What the heck are we doing here, discussing 'when is a Torx not a Torx?' Don't we have anything better to do? Isn't there more to life?"

Then the thought passed. And I felt better.