MN Chat Thread

TDICADDGUY

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2012 BMW X5 35D
I jacked up my car recently and had one of the rear springs fall out of its perch and when I set it down the rear spring snapped 2 of the coils off. Do any of you have a MK4 rear spring I could buy off you? Or know of a junk yard or similar that would be a good place to look? My suspension is stock but need a temporary fix.
Looks like U-Pull has several MKIVs in both lots (East Bethel and Rosemount). You might try to find one with the same paint code, but any MKIV spring should work.

http://www.upullrparts.com/

3L3M3NT

Veteran Member
TDI
04 Jetta GLS TDI, 04 RTDI
In case you guys come straight to this thread, I'll put the link to a poll I put together to see who is interested in attending a GTG or two in Sturgeon Bay, WI.
This way I can get an idea if I should have one GTG or two and when to have them.
Sturgeon Bay GTG Poll

brokaw101

TDI
2002 Jetta TDI Manual tran 234k
I’m selling my 2002 Jetta TDI with 233k on it. I’m going to be very honest about my little baby. She still runs. Had an auto to manual swap in 2012. Current needs - rear drivers side brake caliper, exhaust repair which is throwing CEL, new tires, and potentially a flywheel problem but it could have been a bad starter out of the box. It hasn’t left me stranded in over two months with this issue and still starts. Uses a bit of oil but nothing major. She was hit while parked by a metro transit bus a year ago so the drivers front quarter panel is banged up along with the typical fender rot on the drivers side. Headliner is starting to sag as well from the intelligent sunroof drainage. Had a new fuel injector pump installed in 2014. The clutch was new in 2012 as well. The headlights have been restored multiple times and back to hazy right now. I clay barred her last fall and she’s been in a garage ever since I bought her. The arm rest console is out of whack like many and the passenger side airbag cover is dinged up, the cup holder needs to be replaced and the middle air vents are not perfect due to some punks that just wanted to vandalize but not steal while I was parked at work. The front windshield is cracked. I can replace it under full glass coverage if you desire.

I was a smoker and she enjoyed many, many long road trips. Typical commute was 58 miles a day since 2006 when I bought her. If you’re not concerned about looks, my baby is meant for you. I’ve car shopped for 5 years and finally have come to the point that we need to part ways.
Oh one last flaw- the drivers seat cable is broken so she’s positioned for me to drive her.

I think I have pointed out all her flaws. Bar none the best damn car I’ve ever owned and the toughest love I have ever contemplated leaving.

She can be seen in Hopkins or Saint Paul. I will take any serious offer. Just want her to have a good home or her parts used for your dearly beloved.

I can email photos upon request.

DI fan

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta wagon
Has anyone seen any Alh cars at U-pull in east bethel? I checked Rosemount last weekend and came up empty. FYI I’m looking for a fuel filter clamp. I some how lost mine when was doing my last major service on the car.

TornadoRed

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI wagon, silver; 2003 Jetta TDI wagon, indigo blue; 2003 Golf GL 5-spd, red (PARTED); 2003 Golf GLS 5-spd, indigo blue (SOLD); 2003 Jetta TDI wagon, Candy White (SOLD)

[486]

Top Post Dawg
TDI
02 golf ALH
Has anyone seen any Alh cars at U-pull in east bethel? I checked Rosemount last weekend and came up empty. FYI I’m looking for a fuel filter clamp. I some how lost mine when was doing my last major service on the car.
mine's got a big hose clamp going from the bracket around the filter, the clamp screw of the stock bracket had siezed and broken off

DI fan

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta wagon
mine's got a big hose clamp going from the bracket around the filter, the clamp screw of the stock bracket had siezed and broken off

I made a weak attempt at doing the same thing and gave up quickly due to he fact that there wasn't much room to get a driver on hose clamp.

Since a came up empty at east bethel I think I may make another attempt.

[486]

Top Post Dawg
TDI
02 golf ALH
Gotta unbolt the bracket and clamp it to the filter then put the filter back down in there and bolt it back to the fender

DWNUNDR

TDI
03 Golf TDi
is midwest motorworks still open?

Merkerguitars still active?? hasnt replied to a pm for a while...

Anywhere else you recommend to go get my p0299 sorted.. Ive been having some issues off and on with the limp mode etc.. over the last year ive replaced vacuum hoses, the valve thingy on firewall, just recently replaced the MAF and for the last month it was running amazing after the new MAF... well now Im getting the P0299 code often... kinda boosts but no real power...

Namakan

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Golf, 2011 JSW (gone), 2004 Jetta (gone)
As far as I know Eric is still at Midwest Motorworks but I don't see him on the site at all. I have his cell but of course don't want to broadcast it here.

You might try http://www.nurtechnik.com in Burnsville. I've used them a few times to sort out a few things which is convenient as they are right by my office. They have one tech that does a lot of VW TDI stuff and normally there are several CR cars there as well. I don't recall his name but talk to David and see if they can help you.

JFettig

Vendor
TDI
B5 Passat, 2010 Jetta
Namakan, Rat is the guy you're referring to, he does good work.

As far as I know, Eric is still at MM. merkerguitars at the google mail is your best way to get ahold of him.

DWNUNDR

TDI
03 Golf TDi
thanks I spoke with Rath at Nur Technik and will be dropping it in there on monday after seeing the owner at Midwest was arrested a while back for putting a gun to his wifes head... shame he did good work last time fo rme...

TornadoRed

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI wagon, silver; 2003 Jetta TDI wagon, indigo blue; 2003 Golf GL 5-spd, red (PARTED); 2003 Golf GLS 5-spd, indigo blue (SOLD); 2003 Jetta TDI wagon, Candy White (SOLD)
thanks I spoke with Rath at Nur Technik and will be dropping it in there on monday after seeing the owner at Midwest was arrested a while back for putting a gun to his wifes head... shame he did good work last time fo rme...
That was what his ex-wife said. I've spoken to Bob and the county attorney told him that she did not give much credence to the accusation. Still, his own attorney recommended that he plead guilty to a misdemeanor, with probation and eventual expunging of the charge from his record. So it's probably going to work out okay.

Still, it has cost him a bunch of money. He's now working longer hours, open every Saturday though Eric only works every other Saturday. Midwest is still my top choice for TDI-specific issues, and I usually end up going there for other stuff too (brakes, suspension, steering).

TDICADDGUY

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2012 BMW X5 35D
If you're still looking, or if anyone else needs MKIV parts, a guy in Eagan is parting one out on one of the FB groups. Not sure if TDI or not, but asuming so since it was in the TDI group.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/24097854515/permalink/10156389364909516/

DWNUNDR

TDI
03 Golf TDi
That was what his ex-wife said. I've spoken to Bob and the county attorney told him that she did not give much credence to the accusation. Still, his own attorney recommended that he plead guilty to a misdemeanor, with probation and eventual expunging of the charge from his record. So it's probably going to work out okay.
Still, it has cost him a bunch of money. He's now working longer hours, open every Saturday though Eric only works every other Saturday. Midwest is still my top choice for TDI-specific issues, and I usually end up going there for other stuff too (brakes, suspension, steering).
yeha they did good by me when mine threw a timing belt.. issue is I live in Jordan.. thats like over 1.5 hrs to take the car there.. thats 2 vehicles there and back each time...

good to know it will all work out with him.. too bad about it all though

TornadoRed

Top Post Dawg
TDI

TornadoRed

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Delvac 1 ESM 5W40 is on sale for $21.99 through June 9th at Mill's Fleet Farm. With the $12/gallon rebate that brings the price down to $9.99/gallon.

Edit: with the three gallons I already had and the ten additional gallons I bought Saturday, I am all set for the next 11 oil changes. Or roughly the next 18-20 months.

Last edited:

[486]

Top Post Dawg
TDI
02 golf ALH
Hey, I think I saw your golf over by the new brighton post office a few weeks ago. Heard another louder than stock TDI left idling when I shut mine off, and sure enough, a red one over across the street.
Didn't have the notch in the hood filled in though, you get a different hood?

TornadoRed

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Hey, I think I saw your golf over by the new brighton post office a few weeks ago. Heard another louder than stock TDI left idling when I shut mine off, and sure enough, a red one over across the street.
Didn't have the notch in the hood filled in though, you get a different hood?
Yes, that was probably mine. There's a company there that does credit union title processing and we still do occasional deliveries of real estate documents. (But about 95% fewer than what it was like, before so much of it went digital.)

I'm still running without a grill, until I get around to ordering a new hood release lever. (The last one I ordered, they sent the wrong part; I returned it and never heard from them again.) So my Golf is fairly easy to spot. Also, I've removed the "GOLF" and "TDI) lettering from the rear hatch, so it's incognito except maybe for an occasional puff of diesel exhaust smoke. Lastly, if you get close enough to look at the interior, there is no front passenger seat -- makes it easier to haul longer items like 10' copper tubing, PVC conduit, slotted steel struts, etc.

[486]

Top Post Dawg
TDI
02 golf ALH
Yes, that was probably mine. There's a company there that does credit union title processing and we still do occasional deliveries of real estate documents. (But about 95% fewer than what it was like, before so much of it went digital.)

I'm still running without a grill, until I get around to ordering a new hood release lever. (The last one I ordered, they sent the wrong part; I returned it and never heard from them again.) So my Golf is fairly easy to spot. Also, I've removed the "GOLF" and "TDI) lettering from the rear hatch, so it's incognito except maybe for an occasional puff of diesel exhaust smoke. Lastly, if you get close enough to look at the interior, there is no front passenger seat -- makes it easier to haul longer items like 10' copper tubing, PVC conduit, slotted steel struts, etc.
Didn't even go around back, just thought "Hey neat, only ever seen one red diesel around here." ;)

Mine's set up similar without the passenger seat, can only fit around 9' inside the hatch though. Shocks a lot of people into laughter when they see just how much stuff you can haul with one!
Just recently stuck some resistors on the airbag wires to the seat so I can put it in and pull it out without ignoring a light on the dash.

TornadoRed

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Didn't even go around back, just thought "Hey neat, only ever seen one red diesel around here." ;)
Mine's set up similar without the passenger seat, can only fit around 9' inside the hatch though. Shocks a lot of people into laughter when they see just how much stuff you can haul with one!
Just recently stuck some resistors on the airbag wires to the seat so I can put it in and pull it out without ignoring a light on the dash.
I have a bungee cord to hold the hatch down when I haul long stuff. My other Golf has all its passenger seats, for when I need or might want to haul passengers, so I don't expect to reinstall the passenger seat in the red one any time soon.

[486]

Top Post Dawg
TDI
02 golf ALH
Talk about seeing you guys out and about, just ran across a green lowered 4dr mk4 golf, had the top half of a tdiclub plate frame. Running south on 35w in blaine between lexington and radisson. Got a thumbs up and all. c:

Neat wheels, looked like the steelies with dog dish hub caps they stuck on the newest body style beetles, but I'm pretty sure those are 5x114...