Dreaded p2002 fault

ytjetta

TDI
2014 Jetta SportWagen TDI DSG
The check-engine light came on during the extremely hot weekend. Using the obd-eleven thingy, I read off the "particulate trap bank 1 efficiency.." i.e., the p2002 fault. Also noticed that the tailpipes are sooty black most probably due to DPF failure. Drove it to dealer this morning and awaiting their verdict. hopefully it will be covered by the extended emissions warranty.
Did any of you had DPF failure this early in mileage? Let me know.
ytjetta
2014 JWS TDI
47400 miles

TurboTaco

TDI
2011 Golf TDI
The check-engine light came on during the extremely hot weekend. Using the obd-eleven thingy, I read off the "particulate trap bank 1 efficiency.." i.e., the p2002 fault. Also noticed that the tailpipes are sooty black most probably due to DPF failure. Drove it to dealer this morning and awaiting their verdict. hopefully it will be covered by the extended emissions warranty.
ytjetta
2014 JWS TDI
47400 miles
From what I've seen it should be!
Good luck. Keep us posted.

Vpstang

TDI
Jetta Sport wagen
I just had a DPF replaced last week under warranty.
2012 JSW with 124k

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

calimustang

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 JSW DSG (buyback, RIP), 2014 JSW TDI, 2015 Passat TDI, 2013 Jetta TDI.
My old JSW lasted on original DPF until 180k something. I took mine out at 46k on 2014 JSW. Selling for someone who needs it.

ytjetta

TDI
Just got a call from dealership tech. Quoting from the diagnosis and fix written in the invoice:

" THE HOSE THAT CONNECTED TO MASS FLOW SENSOR GOING OFF POSITION, RE- INSTALL, ERASED FAULT, AND DROVE VEH ABOUT 10 MILLES."

They said the excess air intake was causing the problem and that the DPF will regenerate in due time.

calimustang

Veteran Member
TDI
Hard to believe. Just wait...... it will pop the light again shortly after you drive away. That will force them to replace DPF. Stupid band-aid service of theirs. Geez.

TurboTaco

TDI
2011 Golf TDI
Hard to believe. Just wait...... it will pop the light again shortly after you drive away. That will force them to replace DPF. Stupid band-aid service of theirs. Geez.

Don't expect anymore from dealerships honestly / unfortunately.

I'll give them benefit of the doubt though. They do get paid for warranty work so I'd think it's in their interest to replace parts.

ytjetta

TDI
Hoping too that the fault has gone away for good and that the DPF will regenerate back. Drove it back home about 30 miles on the highway and nothing so far. in the meantime, I will clean the existing soot off the exhaust pipes to see if the car produces soot in the next few days.

Last edited:

ytjetta

TDI
From now on, I will be checking every, say 10k, the hose connections around the mass flow sensor for tightness.

ytjetta

TDI
CEL popped again after 300 miles you predicted. Took it back to the dealership this morning. Waiting to hear from them..

ytJetta

calimustang

Veteran Member
TDI
Yikes.... I hate to be right. Ive seen others posting same behavior pattern and same stealership treatment with bandaid service.... now the karma is biting their arse.

Matt927

Veteran Member
TDI
several
Time for a new DPF.

Shame you have to travel back and forth and waste more time. Makes me glad I have a great dealer service dept to use.

ytjetta

TDI
Just got a call from service. DPF and EGR systems to be replaced free of charge as per the TDI warranty.

calimustang

Veteran Member
TDI
Awesome! Thats good news. :)

PRY4SNO

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Touareg Execline
Didn't realize this was you, and I replied on the other forum. Glad to hear it worked out for you, my stealership only replaced the EGR filter.

ebain21

TDI
2012 Golf TDI 6M
Hey everyone, I'm brand new here and I've had my first TDI for a little over a year (emissions fixed when I bought it). I have a 2012 Golf TDI 6M with 65k miles. Last Friday on a longer trip (120ish miles RT), I got a MIL and brought it to a dealer on my way home. They said it was a P2002, no other faults or codes. Per their service manual, they performed a manual parked regen and said it returned no other faults or codes. They also said I just need to drive more to initiate regens, but I'm pretty sure I drive enough (30 mile RT mostly freeway commute and fairly regular longer trips) I didn't think to look at the tailpipe but now that I have it's pretty sooty and I don't recall it having a lot of soot previously. It seems like I'm driving a ticking time bomb, but luckily I have CPO for 8ish more months and emissions warranty till 2022 or 120k miles. Unfortunately I'm stuck with terrible dealer service as a result. Is there anything I can do at the dealer to initiate better service? Do I need to have the EGR fault code as well to indicate a failed DPF?

calimustang

Veteran Member
TDI
Hey everyone, I'm brand new here and I've had my first TDI for a little over a year (emissions fixed when I bought it). I have a 2012 Golf TDI 6M with 65k miles. Last Friday on a longer trip (120ish miles RT), I got a MIL and brought it to a dealer on my way home. They said it was a P2002, no other faults or codes. Per their service manual, they performed a manual parked regen and said it returned no other faults or codes. They also said I just need to drive more to initiate regens, but I'm pretty sure I drive enough (30 mile RT mostly freeway commute and fairly regular longer trips) I didn't think to look at the tailpipe but now that I have it's pretty sooty and I don't recall it having a lot of soot previously. It seems like I'm driving a ticking time bomb, but luckily I have CPO for 8ish more months and emissions warranty till 2022 or 120k miles. Unfortunately I'm stuck with terrible dealer service as a result. Is there anything I can do at the dealer to initiate better service? Do I need to have the EGR fault code as well to indicate a failed DPF?

Go to other dealership. They wasted your time. It needs DPF replaced as you said the tailpipe is sooty. Thats hard core evidence right there. They are being lazy and avoiding to do the hard job. Not cool at all in my book.

calimustang

Veteran Member
TDI
If none other than the only stealership thats only local to you then call VWoA and lodge an compliant so they will burn their arses to get you to come over and make you happy.

ebain21

TDI
2012 Golf TDI 6M
I'll give them a call and see what they'll do. I've driven 180 miles since and no codes, but I'd expect it'll throw a MIL sooner rather than later. I just don't want to cause damage to the EGR or any other components that wouldn't be covered under a warranty. This was my first time at that dealership that is reportedly far better than the one I bought it from. I've had a lot of issues with the dealer I purchased from as well. Why do I feel like I'm constantly getting the wool pulled over my eyes at every dealership? So frustrating.

Last edited:

ytjetta

TDI
I was told the part 1K0-254-708-GX is in back order nationally and that they are #300 or so in the queue. in the meantime, they told me it was ok to drive the car even if the CEL is on. Hopefully they will get it next week.

ytJetta

ebain21

TDI
2012 Golf TDI 6M
Well I think we have identical issues. 303 miles from the dealer visit and near the end of a 60 mile trip in which had plenty of opportunity for regen, I got the MIL again. I’ll give my dealer a call tomorrow and see what they say... It seems like this is a huge issue and I’m concerned with the low mileage in which failures are occurring.

I’d be concerned to keep driving it with a failed DPF. From what I’ve read, if the DPF is not functioning properly, you can clog the EGR filter and subsequently damage the intake side of the turbo. If the dealer tells me to drive on it, I’m going to push for a rental.

calimustang

Veteran Member
TDI
And best to have it on black and white paper in case VWoA wanted proof that they told you that it is “ok” to drive them with the DPF clogged.

If I were you, force them to give you a loaner while your car sits there until they get the part and replace it.

Im in Florida and no emission check here therefore I didn’t care for warranty so I opted for the deleted exhaust kit with tune and upgraded beefed up turbo and never look back.

Purchased my JSW on Sept 2018 with 27k miles and deleted job on 46k and now 51k few weeks later and am truly enjoying the newly founded power and better MPG.

ebain21

TDI
2012 Golf TDI 6M
Finally heard from the dealer. DPF bad at 65k. Service advisor thought the EGR is included in the DPF replacement, but I'm definitely going to double check that they at least inspected it. They said I could drive it while the DPF is on backorder and I told them I'll keep the rental that VW is paying for. Fingers crossed the next one lasts more than 65k miles or it's definitely getting deleted.

calimustang

Veteran Member
TDI
Good! Make sure you use black marker and mark them so you will know if its new or old.

ytjetta

TDI
Repair now completed with the replacement of the exhaust pipe (VW speak for DPF) and the aft temp sensor (EXHAUST GAS TEMPERATURE SENSOR
CIRCUIT BANK1 SENSOR 4).

ytJetta
2014 JSW TDI at 50k

calimustang

Veteran Member
TDI
Wow your car is so young. Im fully deleted on 2014 JSW since 46k miles. CP3 just installed last week

DivineChaos

Top Post Dawg
TDI
mk6 jetta sportwagen tdi
ytjetta
2014 JWS TDI
47400 miles
I have that code. It comes and goes. Waiting on a dpf replacement. about a month out now.

JELLOWSUBMARINE

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Jetta Sportwagen, 6M, red/tan, navi, pano, 83 5m diesel pickup, 82 p/u trailer,.04 5.5 TDI Passat wagon (gone), 80,81,82 diesel p/u (gone), 80,82 sportruck (gone), 59 passthru bus (long gone), 79&87 westy (gone), 57 baja bug (long gone), 73 914
The check-engine light came on... the p2002 fault. ...
ytjetta
2014 JWS TDI
47400 miles
I just had a DPF replaced last week under warranty.
2012 JSW with 124k

My old JSW lasted on original DPF until 180k something.

ebain21;5526134[B said:
] It seems like this is a huge issue and I’m concerned with the low mileage in which failures are occurring.
[/B].
Purchased my JSW on Sept 2018 with 27k miles and deleted job on 46k and now 51k few weeks later and am truly enjoying the newly founded power and better MPG.
Finally heard from the dealer. DPF bad at 65k. Service advisor thought the EGR is included in the DPF replacement, Fingers crossed the next one lasts more than 65k miles or it's definitely getting deleted.
Repair now completed with the replacement of the exhaust pipe (VW speak for DPF) and the aft temp sensor (EXHAUST GAS TEMPERATURE SENSOR
CIRCUIT BANK1 SENSOR 4).
2014 JSW TDI at 50k

Just in this thread alone it shows the incredible DPF failure rate.
My concern has been why?
Short around town vrs highway?
Would idle before shut down be helpful(turbo timer)?
What can we do as owners of these cars to eliminate this issue which has gotten worse after fix.?

I know the answer is delete/tune, but I live in a smog check area... so....

I bought an 11 as a low mile/use/around town back up car but that type of use it sees seems the worst thing I could do. I.E. DPF life. Fortunately its a CPO w/ brand new DPF and overall like new condition. The next 2 years the warrenty covers may only see 25-30k. My guess it may be saturated... but not enough...?

I think my answer is an interface sold thru Kerma (I cant remember the units name right now). It displays when your regening and soot level, amoung other input on the dash MFD