First impression of a fixed 3.0L TDI Gen 2

DK

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 TDI Golf 6 speed
For what it's worth, my 2014 Golf 6 speed is fixed. All payments made by VW and Bosch are safely in the bank, and the car runs beautifully. Got 44.5 mpg on the last tank. That was with winter fuel and non conservative highway driving. Waiting made no sense for me.

MBQ

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Golf TDI 4Dr DSG
Up to now, the opinions for the fix vary a great deal. Some say it does not change much, some say(myself included) it's a totally different car, not in a good way.

So maybe we should get together to test drive each other's fixed car:)

DK

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 TDI Golf 6 speed
Yes. I've noticed the different opinions. Probably not all dealers have quality people working on the cars. Maybe some fixes are better than others.

nayr

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Audi Q7
replacing a catalyst, pressing a button on a computer and installing a sticker is pretty hard to **** up.

Mythdoc

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Touareg, 2015 Q5, 2015 Golf
replacing a catalyst, pressing a button on a computer and installing a sticker is pretty hard to **** up.

Yet it is happening. One fellow posted on the Touareg forum that after he called VWoA it was determined that the dealer had had no idea how to install his car’s new software properly.

bhuizer

TDI
2014 Toureg TDI, 2014 Q5 TDI, Past: 2012 Touareg TDI, 2012 Jetta TDI
After living with my fixed Touareg this week, my opinions are about the same. Mileage is slightly down, but not by much. I’m averaging about 26-28 mpg on my trips to and from work with winter blend fuel. That’s not far off from what it was previously. The engine gets up to temp much faster than before which is a plus for me on cold mornings, even though that probably means using more fuel on start-up. I assume they are cranking up the EGR to get the exhaust system up to temp quickly which adds to the engine noise as well. The engine quiets down once it warms up. The transmission almost shifts like you are in sport mode when the engine is cold, it’s wants a lot of revs. Power is very similar to before at least on my car, but shift points are a little different and gives the power a slightly different feel.

I don’t have much to complain about.

dyehead

TDI
2013 Q7 Prestige
My '13 Q7 TDI feels down on power. The comments I've read about having to put your foot down a lot harder are accurate to me. I feel like the turbo lag is far worse, but it's more that it shifts way too early, almost feels like it's starting in second gear.

When I put it in Sport, the shift patterns feel closer to what it used to be in normal (maybe a little later shifting than before the fix)

My MPG is down by the estimates.

Mostly feel disappointed that it feels neutered when I was used to a fun SUV that I could loop around corners.. now I depress the gas and ...wait... wait...wait.. push harder.. wait..wait.. push harder... OH THERE IT IS, but now it's too late.

The Audi team had it for about 36 hours, I don't think they had the parts. They didn't refuel it for me either. For reference I'm in So. Cal and Rusnak Pasadena Audi is who did my service.

I am supposed to receive my payment within about 2-3 weeks. I still have heard zero from Bosch. I called them and they say they have my claim but are unwilling to provide any details as to when I should be expecting payment. Supervisor even said they didn't know and that they were "waiting for all of the claims to be reviewed." What the hell does that even mean? Am I expecting to wait until the last person files their 3.0 info with VAG?

Anyway.

TL:DR Diesel fix as advertised. Car feels neutered. Anyone know if there's something that can be done - aftermarket-wise to modify the shift patterns back? Trying to quickly accelerate into moving traffic from either a dead stop or a slow roll has become very unpredictable. Thanks :)

Arcadewilco

TDI
2014 Q7
I've been driving the wife's 2014 Q7 that I had fixed second week of November. I posted else where but the engine is louder at idle. Its not as quick as before and there is 5-10% loss in MPG. Might look into a chip in another 4 more months. Its registered in Montana so I don't care about emissions. Time to roll coal and get the MPG back. j/k

pashman

TDI
2016 Audi A7 TDI Prestige Havanna Black
To make sure my question is clear, for those of us who agreed to the "fix" settlement, took Bosch's two payments and VW's first installment payment, is there a deadline by which we must schedule our "fix" to take place?
I'm going on the 14th for my first half of the VW money as my '16 A7's fix cannot be scheduled yet. I have not received anything from Bosch. Should I have? And if so, is it too late or does my model not apply?

Update: Just filed a claim. Looks like I have $1500 coming to me. Do they pay right away?

Last edited:

Mythdoc

Veteran Member
TDI
Assuming a fix is announced for the PC segment, I am going to run my Chipwerke tuning module over the top of the new software. I’ll report results. Since I have the paddle shifters, I am already used to overriding the shift points of the transmission program.

MBQ

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Golf TDI 4Dr DSG
Assuming a fix is announced for the PC segment, I am going to run my Chipwerke tuning module over the top of the new software. I’ll report results. Since I have the paddle shifters, I am already used to overriding the shift points of the transmission program.
If they approve a fix similar to the Q7's, I want the PSC lawyers to push, very hard, for a buyback. The fix destroyed what the vehicle is supposed to be.

I will be very interested in seeing a dyno between a fixed 3.0L TDI and a newer 3.0T gasser. I felt the power/torque is worse in a fixed 3.0L TDI than in a 3.0T gasser, at least in the 30-60mph range.

Last edited:

Mythdoc

Veteran Member
TDI
If they approve a fix similar to the Q7's, I want the PSC lawyers to push, very hard, for a buyback. The fix destroyed what the vehicle is supposed to be.

I will be very interested in see a dyno between a fixed 3.0L TDI and a newer 3.0T gasser. I felt the power/torque is worse in a fixed 3.0L TDI than in a 3.0T gasser, at least in the 30-60mph range.

Did you call VWoA to report your experience? You were one of the early adopters. Perhaps they should redo the procedure on your vehicle, see if it changes anything.

MBQ

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Golf TDI 4Dr DSG
Did you call VWoA to report your experience? You were one of the early adopters. Perhaps they should redo the procedure on your vehicle, see if it changes anything.
I unloaded them in a Newyork minute right after. Didn't call VWOA but I wish I did.

dyehead

TDI
2013 Q7 Prestige
I called Audi to tell them about my experience. They said they will call me back to follow up about it, but recommended I bring it back to my dealer.

My dealer said there's nothing he can do other than get the foreman to take a test drive with me to see the throttle lag that I'm getting. He thinks it's the new shift timing that the updated software put in (duh).

My main concern is merging with or pulling through oncoming traffic. You can't pull into traffic like before, it's not safe.

Mythdoc

Veteran Member
TDI
It would be great to know whether the dissatisfaction centers around the Q7 or if it is widespread among all models. Posts about the Cayenne and the Touareg, from what I have found, seem more positive on the whole.

Dpthomas

TDI
2013 Touareg TDI Sport
Also: is it stated anywhere in the 3.0 materials we owners received from VW a deadline by which we must submit to the "fix"? I have read through the materials multiple times, and also searched the online sites, and I cannot find it anywhere.
To make sure my question is clear, for those of us who agreed to the "fix" settlement, took Bosch's two payments and VW's first installment payment, is there a deadline by which we must schedule our "fix" to take place?
Gen 1 eligible vehicles have a 9/30/19 deadline and Gen 2 eligible vehicles have a deadline of 4/30/2020.

Nash_TDI

Veteran Member -TDIClub Enthusiast
TDI
2000 Silver Jetta TDI
Got my touareg fixed yesterday. Noticed pulling out of lot the car is completely neutered withiin the first mile. Not sure how long I can stand it. I kinda have a heavy foot and car is not the same. Trying to decide if the car will relearn my driving habits or not.

Seriously considering a tune immediately.

bird67

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Touareg TDI*
Got my touareg fixed yesterday. Noticed pulling out of lot the car is completely neutered withiin the first mile. Not sure how long I can stand it. I kinda have a heavy foot and car is not the same. Trying to decide if the car will relearn my driving habits or not.
Seriously considering a tune immediately.
Nash, will you please repost here after you've driven it a while? Maybe 500 miles or so? I'm sure I'm not the only one who would be interested in your impressions. Your first impression is very discouraging - so only hope is that the car can "learn" your driving preferences and/or grow back its testicles.

Lionel_Hutz

TDI
Touareg
We had our Touareg "fixed" last week. Traded it in for a CX-9 within a week and will never go back to VW. The repair made the Touareg randomly fall flat on its face, to the point that it could be dangerous trying to pull across an intersection. Diesel noise was more pronounced, plus a host of new pump and whining noises. It also held gears longer in city driving, which will definitely affect MPG. Glad to be done with the dieselgate mess, but furious with what CARB/EPA let VW get away with on these models.

flargabarg

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Touareg Lux TDI
If I owned one of these I would be tempted to get a Sprint Booster, because it sounds like they changed the throttle mapping and that is a cheap fix.

bird67

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Touareg TDI*
Two posters on this site - Dyehead and Lionel-Hutz - are among those who have posted bad outcomes following the "fix." According to sigs, both are in California. Any possibility that meeting Cali air quality standards makes the fix affect performance differently than in non-Cali air quality standard locations? Obviously it's a tiny sample size...but until there are enough miles on enough "fixed" vehicles to draw legitimate conclusions, we get to speculate together. I'm interested because I've decided to forego the "fix" (and the 2nd half of my bribe money) for a while, or until my extended warranty expires, whichever comes first.

OmniGLH

TDI
Porsche Cayenne Diesel
Had my 2014 Cayenne fixed last week. I'm in Chicago.

Don't notice any increased noise - though the coldest I've seen the coolant temp is ~50F after sitting in an open-air garage during the day while I'm at work (home garage is heated.) Some folks on Rennlist have speculated that it just doesn't get cold enough to generate the extra noise folks are complaining about.

Torque converter seems to stay "open" much longer when cold - now doesn't lockup until 4th gear until the car fully warms up. This doesn't surprise me - more revs = more exhaust flow = more heat in the converter = converter heats up faster = lower emissions sooner into the drive cycle.

Once fully warmed up though I can't say I feel that much of a difference, now that I've put ~500 miles on it. The initial drive or two after picking it up felt different but it seems once it "learns" its normal. Enough so that I bet if I wasn't *looking for* a difference I might not be able to tell.

Fuel mileage doesn't *appear* to be unchanged.... tho time will tell. Weather tanked here in the last week, and I do recall a difference in fuel economy in the winter. Last full tank was a little short on overall distance but I also don't know that the dealer *completely* topped it off (gauge did read "F" though, and I took it in with ~30 miles remaining.)

bhuizer

TDI
2014 Toureg TDI, 2014 Q5 TDI, Past: 2012 Touareg TDI, 2012 Jetta TDI
Had my 2014 Cayenne fixed last week. I'm in Chicago.

Don't notice any increased noise - though the coldest I've seen the coolant temp is ~50F after sitting in an open-air garage during the day while I'm at work (home garage is heated.) Some folks on Rennlist have speculated that it just doesn't get cold enough to generate the extra noise folks are complaining about.

Torque converter seems to stay "open" much longer when cold - now doesn't lockup until 4th gear until the car fully warms up. This doesn't surprise me - more revs = more exhaust flow = more heat in the converter = converter heats up faster = lower emissions sooner into the drive cycle.

Once fully warmed up though I can't say I feel that much of a difference, now that I've put ~500 miles on it. The initial drive or two after picking it up felt different but it seems once it "learns" its normal. Enough so that I bet if I wasn't *looking for* a difference I might not be able to tell.

Fuel mileage doesn't *appear* to be unchanged.... tho time will tell. Weather tanked here in the last week, and I do recall a difference in fuel economy in the winter. Last full tank was a little short on overall distance but I also don't know that the dealer *completely* topped it off (gauge did read "F" though, and I took it in with ~30 miles remaining.)
I couldn't have said it better in regards to power, my opinions are the same. I can't tell when it's warming up if it is the loose converter or excess EGR that pulls the power down. Regardless the thing gets up to temp quick. I can't stand the shift patterns while warming up, it feels like its in sport mode while driving around town and wont upshift. Once it's warmed up it's fine.

I just put fuel in mine last night after running through the first tank. I could have went a lot further as the low fuel light just came on, but just decided to fill up. I had 575 miles on the trip meter and put in 24 gallons, which puts it right at 24 mpg hand calculated. That's with winter blend fuel, probably an hour or more of total idle time throughout the tank to defrost in the mornings, and 75% hwy (60mph), 25% city driving on my 15 minute drive to work. Take it for what it's worth.

Last edited:

dyehead

TDI
2013 Q7 Prestige
As I've posted in the other thread - Audi has had my car for a couple of days and is still looking into it. The shop foreman agreed that the driving characteristics have been changed drastically. I share the same symptons as Lionel Hutz.

Freeway driving is no problem, it's the stop-and-go city driving that is more a crap shoot. I'm not racing between lights, but I do like to move when needed and it's kinda scary.

Q5TDI

Veteran Member
TDI
Q5
This thread is concerning. Someone should write a letter to Judge Breyer at the Northern District of California (the judge handing the case) and to the EPA and CARB, notifying them of these issues.

Mythdoc

Veteran Member
TDI
This thread is concerning. Someone should write a letter to Judge Breyer at the Northern District of California (the judge handing the case) and to the EPA and CARB, notifying them of these issues.
I’m sure it’ll go right to his desk and he’ll get right on it. Not. The class attorneys are supposed to be our recourse.

Q5TDI

Veteran Member
TDI
Q5
I’m sure it’ll go right to his desk and he’ll get right on it. Not. The class attorneys are supposed to be our recourse.
All righty then, a letter to the "class attorneys." Class attorneys is quite the oxymoron.