40,000 service

JSWTDI09

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2009 JSW TDI (gone but not forgotten)
What's the 40,000 mile service run for 09-dsg-JSW?
Thanks.
That really depends on where you have it done. Some have reported dealers charging up to $1200 - but that is a rip off. Are you planning to use a VW dealer? It will be much cheaper if you find a competent VW mechanic away from the dealer. A friend of mine changed his own oil and filters, got a free tire rotation at PepBoys, and paid a local VW shop about $250 for the DSG service. That's really all that in involved in a 40k service (unless your dealer gives you a "free" car wash).:rolleyes:

Therefore I would say that it will cost you somewhere between $400 to about $1200 depending on where you take it. At a dealer, I would expect it to be around $700 to $900. Call dealers and ask, then call trusted mechanics and ask. In almost every state shops must give you an estimate before they begin work and they cannot charge you more than 10% over that estimate without your permission. Do not be afraid to ask how much it will cost before you give them your car keys.

Have Fun!

Don

c17chief

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Golf 2dr
lol, this reminds me of some dealer silliness with me. I think they must of fat fingered some extra digits for my mileage at the courtesy check after buying the car. A month later I got 20k service reminder, then a month after that the 40k. Each time they would come up I would be like *** and delete the email or throw away the mailer. About a week or 2 after the 40k one, they actually called wanting me to come in for it. I was like uhhh, the car is barely more then 4 months old and it's only got 5k on it...and it STILL took a minute for it to sink in for them by the way they reacted, like it was more likely I really did have 40k in 4 mos on it then 5k. They came back to their senses at least tho. haha.

JSWJohn

TDI
2010 JSW DSG White Gold, Cornsilk
After my last free service at 30,000 miles, I got a quote from the dealer for approximately $1200 for the 40,000 mile service. Since I live in Orange county CA, I called the guys at Wild Rose Motors and got their estimate for the same service and they quoted $700. Seems like a no brainer especially since Leonard Harviex seems to know as much about these cars as anyone around. So........I'm turning my baby over to Leonard at 40K which should be sometime mid-summer.

BlueGraphite'10TDI

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Jetta TDI 6Man
My 40k in Scottsdale only cost $287, but I have the manual. My 50k is next week, when I called and made the appt they said they would take care of the 50k service... I'll have to see it to believe it. Though it is only an oil change and rotation.

jbright

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 Jetta DSG
After my last free service at 30,000 miles, I got a quote from the dealer for approximately $1200 for the 40,000 mile service. Since I live in Orange county CA, I called the guys at Wild Rose Motors and got their estimate for the same service and they quoted $700. Seems like a no brainer especially since Leonard Harviex seems to know as much about these cars as anyone around. So........I'm turning my baby over to Leonard at 40K which should be sometime mid-summer.
I had my 40K done last month at the dealership for $653.14 total with tax. $276 of that was for the DSG service. I had a few extra things done (I change my fuel filter every 10K). I also had them change the brake fluid and they did the latest ECU reflash (no charge).

My point is, the $1200 they quoted you seems exorbitant.

Joe_Meehan

Top Post Dawg
TDI
NB TDI, 2002.5, Silver
What's the 40,000 mile service ….
Check your owner's manual. I would hope it has a list there. Dealers and a lot of fast lube places like to add on things that are not needed.

The one thing I would add is a transmission fluid drain and replacement. If it has a filter then that should also be replaced. Don't have it "Flushed" That is generally a quick and dirty fluid replacement and benefits only the dealer not you.

Plus 3 Golfer

Veteran Member
TDI
Und tschüss! 2009 Jetta 12/23/2012

Gienek

TDI
2012 Candy White JSW TDI
I did my 40k service though a local TDI guru. Cost me about 150 with labor and parts. Included were: oil change, fuel filter change, air filter.

BlueGraphite'10TDI

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Jetta TDI 6Man
Well, my invoice is as follows...
-FilterElem...$10.44
-Screw...$3.48
-Eng Oil (G-052-195-1L) 9.38x4=$37.52
-FilterElem...$43.21
-AirFilter...$29.00
-FilterElem-$22.62
-Windowwash...$4.07

That was parts, labor was $109.61.
Then with fees and tax comes out to $296.10...

So I realized they boned me on the screw and window wash, but 4 filters? Oil, Air, and Cabin... What is the 4th filter?...

All in all, not as bad as it could have been. Though the last 2 times they also did not fill my oil to the 4.3L capacity. I called and complained and they sent me a free Liter, so I have a little extra just in case.

JSWTDI09

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2009 JSW TDI (gone but not forgotten)
I did my 40k service though a local TDI guru. Cost me about 150 with labor and parts. Included were: oil change, fuel filter change, air filter.
Well, my invoice is as follows...
-FilterElem...$10.44
-Screw...$3.48
-Eng Oil (G-052-195-1L) 9.38x4=$37.52
-FilterElem...$43.21
-AirFilter...$29.00
-FilterElem-$22.62
-Windowwash...$4.07

That was parts, labor was $109.61.
Then with fees and tax comes out to $296.10...

So I realized they boned me on the screw and window wash, but 4 filters? Oil, Air, and Cabin... What is the 4th filter?...
The OP was asking about the 40k service on a DSG equipped car. The DSG service adds considerably to the service cost. Just the fluids and filter is about $120 - $150, plus the labor which will probably be at least that much as well. 40k service for a manual transmission car is a lot cheaper because the manual tranny does not require service at 40k.

P.S. 4th filter is the fuel filter. Air filter, Oil filter, fuel filter and cabin air filter are all part of the 40k service. I'm not sure what the "window wash" was all about.

Have Fun!

Don

Last edited:

BlueGraphite'10TDI

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Jetta TDI 6Man
The OP was asking about the 40k service on a DSG equipped car. The DSG service adds considerably to the service cost. Just the fluids and filter is about $120 - $150, plus the labor which will probably be at least that much as well. 40k service for a manual transmission car is a lot cheaper because the manual tranny does not require service at 40k.

P.S. 4th filter is the fuel filter. Air filter, Oil filter, fuel filter and cabin air filter are all part of the 40k service. I'm not sure what the "window wash" was all about.

Have Fun!

Don
Oh that's right. Doh! And I know he was talking about the DSG, just thought I would post my manual 40k service for others that might be following.

CedarPark68

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Jetta TDI Wagen
From the official VWoA 2011 Manual, a huge list of things to check... but in terms of real work for a TDI:

Dust and Pollen Filter: Replace
Adjust Heatlights
Oil and Oil Filter Change
Fuel Filter Change
Lubricate Pano and Clean Pano Drains
Transmission: DSG ( non-automatic ) Change fluid and filter
Rotate Tires

Everything else listed is a check/inspect

Last edited:

Rockwater

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Jetta TDI Sportwagen, manual
I'm facing my 40K service for a 2010 Jetta TDI MT which has to be done in about a week before leaving on a long trip. My local guru is booked until mid-October. A local dealer, who has been performing the free maintenance under warranty, has quoted a price of $360 for the service, which is higher than expected. The real bite is that I have been looking forward to turning over my car to the guru for long term care. That's still my plan but the lesson learned is book your guru well in advance!

dmarsingill

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Sportwagen Turned in , 2000 Z3 Coupe, 2003 Ford Expedition
Let it ride until you can get it to who you feel most comfortable with. You are going 10,000 miles between service....what's another 1000 or 2?

Donald

adimex

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 TDI Cup 6MT (sold), 2014 JETTA TDI 6MT (recalled), 2014 JSW TDI 6MT & 2015 JETTA TDI DSG
I know this is an oldie, but I was looking for this before I took the car in.

Anyways, 40K done on a '10 TDI Cup with manual transmission at the dealer.

o Labor: $185.50
o Parts: $53.50
o Total: $239.00

Dealer rate is $106.00

Plus 3 Golfer

Veteran Member
TDI

Dealer rate is $106.00
Something is wrong.

Fuel filter, oil filter, pollen filter, 4 liters of 507 oil is way more than $53.50 especially at the dealer.;)

pommeree

TDI
2010 TDI Sportwagon
Dealer rate is $106.00
Did they itemize what all was done? Can you share that?
Thanks!

adimex

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 TDI Cup 6MT (sold), 2014 JETTA TDI 6MT (recalled), 2014 JSW TDI 6MT & 2015 JETTA TDI DSG
I have a list of work done on the car. I can scan it or something, it's not with me at the moment.

Pollen filter, oil change with filter, tire rotation, top off fluids, etc.. etc... They took care of the TPMS system too :eek:.

Last edited:

BarnyardsTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Golf w/DSG, Malone Stage 2 (all emissions intact), HID's, Sunroof, Dynaudio, NAV
Im planning on doing mine on my own. I looked at IDparts.com and just the parts are about $260 before shipping. Im going to make my own DSG fill tool (~150 for a "specialized" hose with a fitting is ridiculous)

DIY Link : http://deviantspeed.com/diy-dsg-fill-tool-vw-vas6262 .

The DIY DSG fill should cost ~20 to assemble.

Also I do own VAG-com and you need it to prime the fuel system after filter replacement, check the DSG fluid temp(for proper viscosity, and most importantly to calibrate the DSG (probably clutch packs and what not) after the filter and fluid have been changed. However, VAG is really a one time fee because I plan to do all other maintainence myself. Something to look into! Good luck with getting a good price on the service should you choose to not do it yourself. Happy driving.

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Passat SEL, 2017 Alltrack SE; BB 2010 Sedan Man; 2012 Passat,
ecstuning.

btw same parts are cheaper through idparts.com and is a great member here.

Plus 3 Golfer

Veteran Member
TDI
When buying online, I find that autohausaz.com comes in with the lowest overall price for me virtually all the time because of their free shipping for orders over $50.

For example for the 40k service: air, pollen, oil, fuel, and DSG filters, DSG gasket, 5 liters of 507 oil and 5 liters of DSG Pentosin fluid comes in at about $226 shipped to your home. For a manual (removing the DSG stuff), the price would be about $113 from autohausaz. If I buy the 507 oil at my local Pepboys, I can save another $5 or so.

In addition, doing a DSG top fill with a Walmart funnel instead of "making" a DSG fill tool will save one about $15.