West Michigan Fall TDI GTG - October 2017

rocketeer928

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta GLS TDI 5-speed
Thanks to Kirk, Linda, and their family for hosting the GTG. My first there and I had a great time. Nice to see IBW whom I've known for years from my New England homeland and meeting a lot of new folks. Nice also to have my beat-up fat fives refinished for the winter tires.

Late night for me, as I was second to last on the RocketChip list. I'm looking forward to Jeff getting my RC5 Euro ECU back to me soon.

Thanks Kirk for driving my car and addressing my vibration issue (or not an issue); Also taking me for a ride in Mike's Jetta.

Prayers are with Frank. He and I were texting a lot during the GTG. ;) I was hoping to meet him for the first time; maybe next year.

r90sKirk

Veteran Member
TDI
All TDI's - No gassers! Luxo-Tourer = 13 Passat (hands down, the nicest car we've ever owned), Most fun = MK4 Golf
Brought Frank home from the Hospital tonight (he's feeling better, thanks to good medication), and he's off to Missouri with wifey to recover, hope this doesn't set him back for too long.

Despite the rain, I thing we all stayed reasonably dry Saturday, enjoyed the turn-out. It was great to see Paramedick and Growler again! And like I said before, the "Longest Distance Driven to this GTG Award" goes to Paul (Pkhoury) all the way from Texas!

It was great to see Peter there as well, appreciate you making the time to drive all the way out from the far east!

Thanks to Jeff (Mister Rocketchip) for scheduling and managing another full day of tunes for us Michiganders.

Thanks to all my "local" friends for helping out and pitching in:
- Gordy P.
- Dan B.
- Doug V.
- good ole Matt Whitbread
and special thanks to my sidekick and best TDI tech Jordan!

Hopefully next year, we'll have a drier forecast - look forward to Fall of 2018 for the next one.

Kirk

DarrinGT

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Golf TDI 2 Dr, 2001 VW Jetta TDI
Big Thank you to Kirk and Linda for hosting, I had a great time meeting the group, didn't even noticed it was raining! The food was excellent as well, and what a great bunch of dieselheads.

The TDI Toyota was Sweet! Thanks for bringing it!

Thanks to Jeff for the waking up Sarge with the Stage 3 tune with Launch Control. WOW is that Fun! it works awesome.

Thanks again!

Celco

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Golf 4dr ALH 5-speed
Glad everyone had fun. Sad I wasn't able to make it, but traveled lot for work that week already and took the opprotunity to sleep in and not drive for 5-6 hours round trip on saturday. Really wished i would have been able to make it though. Really looking forward to coming up next year.

But a big thanks to Kirk and everyone involved for keeping the community together. Cheers!

Stinkyfingers

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta Variant, '03, Made in Germany, silber, 486,000+ miles and still singing!
Sorry to have missed another fix-and-eat party at Kirk's. Family commitments had me in NY and then to a meeting in NJ. Hope to be there next year. Want to do a radio knob swap. ;-)
JohnD

TDI Owner/Operator
TDI
2015 Passat TDI SEL
OK, know it's been a week now - was busy the past week and yesterday since weather was summer-like was doing yard chores all day. Now I'm taking care of the overdue business of posting the GTG pictures but first need to thank Kirk and Linda for being gracious hosts to all of us attendees for another year in a row! It was another fantastic GTG with only bummer being Frank was not with us due to the ATV accident he suffered the day before - glad to hear he is out of the hospital and on the mend!

Below two TDI's are contradicting each other's messages = which one is correct? :p

Last edited:

TDI Owner/Operator
TDI
2015 Passat TDI SEL
Had a couple of conversions in attendance - first up is a 80's Toyota pickup...

...and a Smythe Ute A4 conversion:

TDI Owner/Operator
TDI
2015 Passat TDI SEL
There were used parts for sale - Kirk's granddaughters were in charge so Kirk could concentrate on hosting duties and socialize :

This is 'Sarge' the Smythe Ute conversion being tuned by Rockertchip:

TDI Owner/Operator
TDI
2015 Passat TDI SEL
There was a little rain at times...

...but that did not dampen the spirits of all who were there!

TDI Owner/Operator
TDI
2015 Passat TDI SEL
These are the awesome cheddar and jalepeno hot dogs which were just the ticket for the hungry masses!

Franko6

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
Jetta, 99, Silver`
I am very sorry that a moment's lapse of attention not only took me to the ICU at Butterworth Hospital Downtown Grand Rapids, but here now almost 10 days later, I may return to light duty work. I broke transverse processes on L1, 2 and 3, plus the three bottom left rear ribs, one in the front right rib and bruised the bottom of both lungs. No surgery, but also, no belly-laugh jokes are required for at least another two weeks. Gordy, you have a wicked sense of humor...

Part of the purpose of the GTG was to pick up new dedicated CNC equipment. I will be making the trip back to Kirk's in probably a couple of weeks, as weather and my body will allow.

For the people that stopped by down town to visit, I appreciate the extra effort to brighten my day. For those whom I missed, I promise, there is to be another time, soon, and then, there is always next year's event.

auntulna

Veteran Member
TDI
05 GLS Passat wagon, mit panzer plate
Well, at least it's just a flesh wound. We expect you to come out fighting again soon.

But seriously, it's OK to be a senior statesman here, change your sig to Ol' Franko6. You want people to keep thinking you've forgotten more than they'll ever know, you know? I'll bring a new helmet to the shop next week, if you promise to wear it. With decals.

TDI Owner/Operator
TDI
2015 Passat TDI SEL
Is there a more local group forum?
I have a TDI car I'm parting out and want to target for local people?
Should post it in the 'TDI Cars for Sale/Wanted' section as parts cars are listed there well as complete runners:

http://forums.tdiclub.com/forumdisplay.php?f=51

And you can also post it here in a new thread with a link to the ad in the 'TDI Cars for Sale/Wanted' section so those local to you who check here can be aware of your parts car. Don't forget to put your location in the subject line too. Good luck with parting yours out!

pkhoury

That guy with the goats
TDI
2013 JSW, 2003 Jetta Ute, 2 x 2002 Golf, 2000 Golf
Any word if a similar event will happen in 2018?