Setting camshaft timing after changing cambelt

laser

I have recently had the cam timing belt changed on my 2001 130BHP TDI PD Bora (called Jetta mk4 in US I think) at an independent (read non-VW) garage, however, I have since learnt that they did not have the proper VW tools, VAG-com, etc.

I spent quite a bit of time last week reading TDIClub forums and realise now that this job should probably have been done by the dealership. In order to find out a little more I have got hold of the demo version of VAG-COM and checked the DTC fault codes. Sure enough I have the following error...

19464 - Camshaft Position Sensor (G40): Signal Out of Range
P3008 - 00-00 - -

How worried should I be? The engine seems to be running just as it did before the belt was changed, fuel economy doesn't seem to have been affected. However, I am concerned about longer term problems.

I would welcome any advice about how difficult it is to resolve this problem and where I go from here. Does the error code unequivacally indicate that the mechanical timing has not been set correctly by the garage, or could it be simply that they forgot to plug in the sensor.

I know that I messed up /images/graemlins/frown.gif, so constructive comments would be appreciated.

Kind regards,

laser

GoFaster

Moderator at Large
TDI
2006 Jetta TDI
I haven't worked on a P-D engine but I DO know that they have a cam position sensor as well as a crank position sensor, and the message you're getting is consistent with those sensors not lining up properly. Whether that's due to an initial fault which has been corrected by the shop but was never reset, or whether it's an ongoing issue, can only be found out by trying to reset the code and then see if it comes back.

I believe the P-D requires a crankshaft locking tool in addition to a camshaft locking tool.

MOGolf

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 Golf GLS TDI Reflex silver, rough road suspension and steel skid plate, 2004 Passat Variant, Candy White, rough road suspension and geared balanced shaft module, and much, much more. 2016 LR RR HSE TD6, 2019 Jaguar I-PACE
It's hard to say that you messed up. I agree with the point that GoFaster was making: we don't know when the code was set. Therefore you don't know if it was there before the belt change, there as a result of the change, or a recent occurrence. Getting the code cleared and then seeing if it returns will help in determining whether it is something to get fixed.

Maybe having a shop with the proper tools verify the timing alignment would put your mind at ease. Or send me a plane ticket. /images/graemlins/smirk.gif

One other possibility is that the sensor got knocked too far off from the sensor wheel teeth. Again, a shop with the proper knowledge of the engine could determine that.