2015 Gen 3 Fix Phase 2

dutchsher

TDI
Mk4 Jetta TDI Auto, 15 Golf TDI DSG
You are new here so don't take this the wrong way. Since you are quoting mileage for such short trip parts you must be using the on board display, which is known to be off. Really only hand calculated full tank averages have any value here as the fuel computer isn't a reliable option. Please report back with hand calculated filled tank to filled tank averages. You spreadsheet means little with unreliable info input. Many here use fuelly to record their tank averages. More precise actually calculated tank averages are the only reliable method to judge fuel economy. Welcome to tdiclub and good reading!
However, if the readings on his car (accurate or not) haven't changed to whatever it was churning out before or better, then either way it's good news. This means regardless of the actual mpg, it's the same whatever it actually is. I have also experienced the same results on my car. Mileage has been about the same for me.

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Passat SEL, 2017 Alltrack SE; BB 2010 Sedan Man; 2012 Passat,
ECU programming can very easily skew the dash MPG computation. Heck the cluster has an adjustment setting for that exact same reason. More along trust but verify with MPGs are concerned.

Lightflyer1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Beetle tdi dsg
Yes if they are flashing the ECU, you have no idea if something changed for the fuel calculation. Besides that partial readings for all those little trips aren't very accurate in and of themselves. Hand calculated multiple full tank readings are best for judging anything like this.

Fixmy59bug

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Passat TDI SE
Welp....

Looks like I am getting the exhaust modification done today...

The lady up in our titles office called me today and said Vw will not release the title until the recall is done. I bought the car 3 days before the recall was released, but the deal wasnt funded until after.

So either I complete the recall or the bank will cancel the deal because they cant get the title.

Sad panda...

JettaCR7

TDI
2015 Jetta TDi
Finally got my car back today. They did the oil change free of charge. Car has a different feel to it though. Might be because I’m used to the 2018 Passat they gave me as a loaner. ?*♂

Lightflyer1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Beetle tdi dsg
Welp....

Looks like I am getting the exhaust modification done today...

The lady up in our titles office called me today and said Vw will not release the title until the recall is done. I bought the car 3 days before the recall was released, but the deal wasnt funded until after.

So either I complete the recall or the bank will cancel the deal because they cant get the title.

Sad panda...
Why sad? It already had Phase 1 done and most have reported no change with Phase 2. If you are tuning nothing lost there anyway. More parts to sell off if that is the case.

Fixmy59bug

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Passat TDI SE
I was going to postpone a little bit and milk the warranty.

Of course, there is some disagreement about how/if that would work at all.

I was also considering getting it done soon anyways because some are reporting less frequent regenerations and better fuel economy.

I just dont like being forced to do something.

But atleast for a loaner I got a 2018 TSI Passat with Kessy and 23 miles on the ticker.

Blue_Hen_TDI

Top Post Dawg
TDI
owned: 96 B4V, 06 Golf, 12 NMS, 15 GSW
I was also considering getting it done soon anyways because some are reporting less frequent regenerations and better fuel economy.

That right there could entice me to get in sooner rather than later. What distances are people reporting between regens after P2?

My car regens like clockwork every 240 miles for about 11-12 minutes (monitored by SG2). Every regen, I lose about 30 miles until empty on my range indicator, and I average three regens per tank, so I'm losing close to 100 miles of range per tank in regens.

Lightflyer1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Beetle tdi dsg
In town and urban driving I am about the same. On highway mostly driving about 400 miles between. Just had the fix done so don't know if it has changed any yet.

moonlite

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Golf
Also for any one else who is curious on if PII changes the fuel economy, and etc. I have a spreadsheet of my driving so far this week. I drive 100 miles a day for work, 20 of those is city driving, the other 80 is all highway. Of those 20 miles in the city I have been averaging 33.5 MPG. Of those 80 miles on the highway, the lowest I have averaged was 44.2 ("spirited" driving as I call it). The highest has been 59.8 MPG. My overall average for my 400 miles of driving this week has been roughly 52.2 MPG. Not too bad!

After the dealer resolved the issues from the installation of PII, the wagon seems to function normally now. No more loss of power, weird shift points, etc. As a side note, I also had my DSG serviced at the same time as PII since I was slightly over 40K.
A little history, I purchased the 2015 Golf SE with the DSG and 23k miles in 1/2018 as a CPO from a VW dealer. I was stoked on the performance of the newer TDI's torque band (great low end) and the sport of the Golf with 225/45/17 Michelin's. I was getting 33 mpg on a few tanks (using Fuelly) because I couldn't keep my foot off the floor :D

With that said, I just picked up my 2015 Golf with the P2 completed. Since it has only 32k miles, they just added the second NOx sensor and flashed the ECU and DSG. My dealer said it would fix the 1-second loss of power just after it shifts from 2nd to 3rd gear, with 1/2 to 3/4 throttle when in sport mode. While I was reluctant to be one of the first few to get the P2 fix, I said go for it.

I'm interested in what people are feeling after they drive their TDI's after the P2 fix, in terms of the torque at 1/2 to full throttle in the lower RPM range, 2-3k. It might be a placebo effect, but for myself, it feels like there is less torque in the lower RPM's than pre P2. It feels similar in the upper range between 3-4k. I'm kicking myself for not recording some 0-60 MPH sprint times before I had VW perform the P2 fix. Maybe I wouldn't have noticed anything if I didn't know it was modified. The bummer part... is that the 2nd to 3rd gear shifting issue is still there :rolleyes:

Anyone up for dyno testing?

Last edited:

tdi4ty

TDI
2015 VW Golf Sportwagen TDI DSG
However, if the readings on his car (accurate or not) haven't changed to whatever it was churning out before or better, then either way it's good news. This means regardless of the actual mpg, it's the same whatever it actually is. I have also experienced the same results on my car. Mileage has been about the same for me.
I never knew if I could trust what the on-board computer read, however, after a hand calculation this week, it seems to be within a few .00's of what the trip computer and my spreadsheet calculated. For example; I recently completed my first full tank since PII. I filled up with 10.2 gallons of diesel ($3.16 per gallon in OH which was roughly $32.33 total). I drove 520 miles until the light came on (how I typically do). I figured there was at least another 40-50 miles or so of range until completely empty (but I did not count that portion). It came out to 50.98 MPG for the first full tank. Its pretty darn close to what the trip computer was telling me and considering I am 90% highway and 10% city driving, not too shabby.

Fixmy59bug

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Passat TDI SE
I got my car back today in time for my lunch break. They had to keep it overnight because even though they pinned my subframe to keep it aligned, and it still threw the alignment out of whack. The steering wheel turned left, but the steering pulled right. Odd, I know.

But they corrected it today and I took it for a drive......

I would swear it is more responsive at light throttle. Before the fix, it had the slightest dead spot (almost DBW lag-like) if I barely touched the throttle, but now it just goes.

joesmoe3

TDI
2015 Golf TDI SE DSG
We just picked up our car from the dealer. Interesting with this Phase 2 mod is they attached a new Monroney sheet. Curiously, the new sheet is identical to the original with the exception of the addition of a statement, "This vehicle has received an Emission Modification"

Initial driving indicates it hesitates a little at throttle application which may require a slightly more energetic right foot over time.

moonlite

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Golf
Shifting Issue

Yesterday, my Golf did the momentary loss of power after the 1st to 2nd gear shift and 2nd to 3rd gear during a 3/4 acceleration. This is the first time I had it do this with a 1st to 2nd gear shift. The dealer said there is a service bulletin thread stating that the P2 would resolve my shifting/power loss issue. However, this is not the case for me, it possible made it worse.

On another note, the lower end torque is back, after 100 miles of spirited driving. Maybe the computer had to get longterm data before it could have all its power?

Is anyone else having similar shifting issues?

93celicaconv

Veteran Member
TDI
Turned in my 2010 Jetta TDI Cup Edition to VW, DSG, Nav, Sunroof / Replaced with a 2015 Passat TDI SEL Premium
That right there could entice me to get in sooner rather than later. What distances are people reporting between regens after P2?

My car regens like clockwork every 240 miles for about 11-12 minutes (monitored by SG2). Every regen, I lose about 30 miles until empty on my range indicator, and I average three regens per tank, so I'm losing close to 100 miles of range per tank in regens.
Just a thought - if you were driving say 60 MPH during the 12 minutes the regen was in progress, you would be getting 12 miles under your belt during the regen process. If your mileage to empty drops 30 miles for every regen, 12 of those would be normal driving miles, so you are actually only loosing 18 miles per regen, or 54 miles per tank. Something to consider.

Blue_Hen_TDI

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Just a thought - if you were driving say 60 MPH during the 12 minutes the regen was in progress, you would be getting 12 miles under your belt during the regen process. If your mileage to empty drops 30 miles for every regen, 12 of those would be normal driving miles, so you are actually only loosing 18 miles per regen, or 54 miles per tank. Something to consider.

You're not following. I always mentally capture my trip odometer plus distance to empty for a total tank figure. When the regen is over, that total tank figure is roughly 30 miles less.

Example: Regen starts at 240 miles on trip odo. Distance to empty is 610. That's an 850 mile tank I'm working on when the regen starts. When the regen is over, my trip odo is 250 and distance to empty is now 570. I'm now on an 820 mile tank. Thirty miles lost due to regen.

93celicaconv

Veteran Member
TDI
Turned in my 2010 Jetta TDI Cup Edition to VW, DSG, Nav, Sunroof / Replaced with a 2015 Passat TDI SEL Premium
You're not following. I always mentally capture my trip odometer plus distance to empty for a total tank figure. When the regen is over, that total tank figure is roughly 30 miles less.

Example: Regen starts at 240 miles on trip odo. Distance to empty is 610. That's an 850 mile tank I'm working on when the regen starts. When the regen is over, my trip odo is 250 and distance to empty is now 570. I'm now on an 820 mile tank. Thirty miles lost due to regen.
I got you. Now it makes perfect sense.

I guess the question is more like - what was the regen process prior to the emissions scandal, and what is it now. Regens existed prior to the emissions scandal because of the need to clean the DPF. Not sure if the mileage loss per regen was the same back then or not. Most likely the frequency of regens increased, at least a little for 2015 Gen 3's.

Blue_Hen_TDI

Top Post Dawg
TDI
I got you. Now it makes perfect sense.

I guess the question is more like - what was the regen process prior to the emissions scandal, and what is it now. Regens existed prior to the emissions scandal because of the need to clean the DPF. Not sure if the mileage loss per regen was the same back then or not. Most likely the frequency of regens increased, at least a little for 2015 Gen 3's.

That I can't speak to because I bought mine new (stop-sale) with Phase 1 already applied. I am pretty excited about the prospect of Phase 2 potentially decreasing the number of regens, per some of the anecdotes.

audiq7tdi

TDI
audi
post P2 fix

Can someone help me to bring my car back the way it was before p2 fix
It's been 4 months now when I got this fix done and has been noting but disaster.
shifting wired, loosing power between shift, accelerator slow response, so annoying engine sound I feel engine is running on higher rpms than it shows
does anyone has same or a like issues
thanks

Blue_Hen_TDI

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Can someone help me to bring my car back the way it was before p2 fix
It's been 4 months now when I got this fix done and has been noting but disaster.
shifting wired, loosing power between shift, accelerator slow response, so annoying engine sound I feel engine is running on higher rpms than it shows
does anyone has same or a like issues
thanks

Assuming you have a Q7 (3.0L TDI Gen 2), you may want to visit this thread which discusses your model: http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=483472

This thread is for discussion of the Gen 3 (EA288) 2.0L TDI in the 2015's.

tdi4ty

TDI
I've put roughly 750 miles on the vehicle now since P2. Anyone else that has this completed, do you smell anything, as if the car is burning something other than fuel/oil? After driving to and from work I am still getting a horrid burning smell. While I am noticing some smoke is still resonating from a few of the new components. It smells similar to if wires or plastic is burning off. It also filters through the vehicle once it reaches its optimal operating temp, so the smell is soaking into the vehicle. I thought maybe it just needs time to break in, but it still smells awful.

Nutty 5.0

Veteran Member
TDI
15 GSW SEL TDI 6MT
I've put roughly 750 miles on the vehicle now since P2. Anyone else that has this completed, do you smell anything, as if the car is burning something other than fuel/oil? After driving to and from work I am still getting a horrid burning smell. While I am noticing some smoke is still resonating from a few of the new components. It smells similar to if wires or plastic is burning off. It also filters through the vehicle once it reaches its optimal operating temp, so the smell is soaking into the vehicle. I thought maybe it just needs time to break in, but it still smells awful.
I haven't noticed any smells but only at 250 miles. It's worth checking the new wiring that was installed: make sure it's not touching anything on the turbo/exhaust. I tidied mine up a bit better as I can see they could potentially make contact.

tdi4ty

TDI
I haven't noticed any smells but only at 250 miles. It's worth checking the new wiring that was installed: make sure it's not touching anything on the turbo/exhaust. I tidied mine up a bit better as I can see they could potentially make contact.
Thanks for the photos, that definitely helps. And considering this is the second new wiring that they had to install, I won't hold my breath if this is the culprit.

Nutty 5.0

Veteran Member
TDI
15 GSW SEL TDI 6MT
Thanks for the photos, that definitely helps. And considering this is the second new wiring that they had to install, I won't hold my breath if this is the culprit.
Sorry to hear that. Don’t get me wrong, I don’t blame the techs. But take a look under the hood by the firewall near the turbo. They have the new wiring routed pretty close to the turbo and why I tidied up the wiring there. There’s only so many places to anchor the new harnesses. I doubt they have much time to detail the way most of us enthusiasts would do things. I noted some of the high temp snap covers were ripped too. I’ll be deleting soon so not worried, but I accept that these modifications aren’t vetted like the rest of a normal manufactured car would be. I love the car; it’s a great distance daily and being a hard core Mustang enthusiast with some featured in magazines and advertisements, it’s still a blast to drive.

I’d recommend those getting this done to have some patience.