2010 sportwagen A/C help

distra45

TDI
2010 Jetta Sportwagon
I have a 2010 Jetta Sportwagen and the A/C quit a couple weeks ago. I have the the VCDS software and I need some trouble shooting advice. The A/C control valve has just been replaced, but the system will still not come on and blow cold air. I can activate fans with the software, but the pressing the A.C. button does not start the small fan on the passenger side. No fault codes that I can see...or maybe I'm not looking in the right spot. Any troubleshooting help would be appreciated.

cliballe

TDI
2010 Jetta
In VCDS can you go into the Auto HVAC Module, Advanced measuring values and look at a few locations? Check 007 Center Vent Temperature, 008 Compressor Current, 009 Compressor Load, 016 Coolant Fan Activation, 024 Engine Speed, 061 Refrigerant Pressure and post a screenshot of those results.

distra45

TDI
2010 Jetta Sportwagon
Engine Speed 800/min
Refrigerant pressure-MUX 5.6 bar
Compressor current: specified value 0.820 A
Compressor load 1.6Nm
Coolant fan activation:actual value 9.6%
Coolant fan activation: specified value 0.0%
Center vent temp 29.7C

08-Auto HVAC -- Status: Sporadic communication error 1000

https://photos.app.goo.gl/sOe7vT7fjGLHiF8w1

Last edited:

cliballe

TDI
2010 Jetta
Had you just started the car, or did you run it a while before taking those readings? The refrigerant pressure and fan speed isn't adding up for me.

When I had an issue with my RCV the pressures were higher than yours (~12 bar) and the fan still worked too (~50-70%). After the compressor was replaced the refrigerant pressures went up to ~17 bar at idle.

distra45

TDI
2010 Jetta Sportwagon
It had been running about 10-15 min when I took these readings. The compressor wheel is spinning, but the center bolt and flange are not. The coolant fans turn on with the output tests.

cliballe

TDI
2010 Jetta
So I'm guessing the shear plate feature of the compressor hub was tripped? Are you able to turn the center part of the compressor hub by hand? If not I'd say your compressor has seized internally.

distra45

TDI
2010 Jetta Sportwagon
I replaced the compressor this weekend and checked for leaks. System held a vacuum so I recharged it. Compressor runs, fans run, cold air is coming out of the vents. Still not sure why the compressor went, but I hope this one last a few years.