Phase 2 Emissions Recall

MichaelB

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Passat SE DSG
what is the maintenance interval for the new DPF?
/QUOTE]
There is no maintenance interval you just run it to failure. Well if you want to be proactive you could spend the money and replace it at let's say 150k. If it ain't broke don't replace it. Kind like well I never want my starter or alternator to fail so every 5 years or 150k so I'll just replace it. But as with all things, in life, they will eventually fail. With the whole dieselgate debacle there has not been very much recorded info for a failure /replacement interval as many cars have been sold back or had failed emission components replaced by the extended warranty.

Last edited:

Jetta_Pilot

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Passat Highline TDI Candy White (SEL Premium) long gone 2002 Jetta TDI
Has anybody else received their Phase 2 notice? I'm probably going to go with it, but just wanted to know if anybody has already gone through the Phase 2 Modification. What is it? Is it just a DPF replacement? If that is the case what is the maintenance interval for the new DPF?

http://www.fuelly.com/car/volkswagen/golf/2015/allenazali/355004
The Phase 2 is quite an extensive job lasting up to about 9 hours of work for the dealer. You get a free rental while your car is being done.

tadawson

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat TDI SEL, 2015 Passat TDI SEL
Replacing DPF and (iirc) NoX filter, and adding one sensor (which requires a pipe change to add the needed bung . . . ). DPF/NoX replacements are for longevity . . .

Rodmiser

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta s\DSG 2015 & 1&2 FIX
Job #2

PARTS
1 1KO-298-101-B CON. KIT 1KO- 298-1
1 1KO-253-301-CC PIPE 1KO-253-301-cc
1 1KO-298-201-A GASKET SET 1KO-298
80 G-O13-A8J-SO COOL.ADD. G-O13-A8J
1 1KO-298-101-EX CONV.KIT 1KO-298-1

2.5 DAYS

OK now need to top the tank and check out fuel MPG. Sound a little loud.
Started Monday back WED. at 1230 HOURS.

43027 miles or 69245 K

Last edited:

pikewrench

TDI
CKRA, 2013 & 2015 Passat
Just got my 15 done today, dealer had it several days. They will provide a rental if you need one. There is suppose to be another 02 sensor along with more plumbing. It looks as thought the engine cover on top has been replaced.

allenazali

TDI
2015 Golf manual
I took my car in today, in Friday morning for Tues out

They gave me a nice Passat gasser, but in no way compares to having 56k on my Diesel, its all subjective, so I will say the Chevy Bolt is nice, I drive that at work. The guys didnt look to pleasent with this job, they said that the Diesel scandal really hurt sales. Im sure the monkey experiements dont help either. I just pray this DPF installation doesnt turn into napalm death.

SilverGhost

Veteran Member
TDI
'05 Golf - totaled :(, wife's '13 Beetle - buy back, TDIless
Just a note on Phase 2 - it may be broken up into 2 different parts and done at different times. Depends on whether you owned since new or its a buy back or was never sold until Phase 1 AND what mileage the car has (cutoff depends on manual vs DSG).

So, part A is add a NOx sensor into exhaust behind exhaust flap.

Part B is replace Emissions module (AKA DPF/DOC/SCR).

Some cars will get it all, other cars will get first part now and come back later for second part.

Jason

allenazali

TDI
2015 Golf manual
Vw dtla

I got a call today to pick up my 15 Golf TDI. It took 4 business days from the time I took it in. The service guys were not all smiles and I don't think it was personal. I will be happy to pick up my car. I am not sure if I should ask for a run through of what they did. I can imagine that it is not easy because you have to train maintenance people to be shop mechanics. The service at DTLA is above fair, and if my car keeps running, I have no reason to complain.

The car itself has been good to me 56k something miles. I am thinking about replacing my tires at 60 or 65k. AC runs like a champ. Life is good.

Lightflyer1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Beetle tdi dsg
Just a note on Phase 2 - it may be broken up into 2 different parts and done at different times. Depends on whether you owned since new or its a buy back or was never sold until Phase 1 AND what mileage the car has (cutoff depends on manual vs DSG).

So, part A is add a NOx sensor into exhaust behind exhaust flap.

Part B is replace Emissions module (AKA DPF/DOC/SCR).

Some cars will get it all, other cars will get first part now and come back later for second part.

Jason
This is correct. Mine is a stop sale new 2015 Beetle tdi, DSG. It just went in for the Phase 2 fix and got the new sensor, the pipe to install it in and a software refresh to make use of it. At 9500 miles currently I will have to go back at some point and get the second part B done.

allenazali

TDI
2015 Golf manual
work desc.

performed 23y8 emissions recall. Installed gen 3 phase 2a kit and exhaust pipe, nox sensor. Installed 2b and 2b
sub kit , doc/scr/dpf assembly. Performed software update via guided functions. After repairs performed
dpf ash load reset and cooling circuit fill. Completed inform tool

SilverGhost

Veteran Member
TDI
Ask someone who has done a turbo on these cars, how hard it is to get that DPF out. At about 9 hours warranty time and figuring it always takes longer than that, I can see why to plan on it taking a couple days.

Jason

GTOguy

TDI
'13 Beetle TDI 6spd, Rawtek/Malone 2.0 Eco
I just got my early '13 beetle back from getting the fix and would they have had to pull the DPF on my car? The reason I'm asking is I had to reinstall all of my stock stuff and in doing so I had to loosen and lower the front suspension. In doing so I worked at it and got it real close to the point that the wife could not notice anything change in the steering but when we got it back the steering wheel was a little off center and the dealership said we need to schedule for an alignment. I don't know what the differences are in the parts that need to be changed between a non-DEF car and a DEF car but I wouldn't think that they would have to pull the DPF on mine.

wilkius

TDI
Mk7 Golf TDI
Mine is completed on my 15 Golf MT.

Dealer had done about 6 of them before mine and they got it completed in a day. Offered but declined a rental as I live literally a block from the dealer.

Only a short trip with it since but all seems good.

Comes with an oil change and I'm right in between intervals so I'll have it done at no charge at another date.

dubStrom

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 A4 Jetta (sold), 2010 JSW (sold), 2013 Passat 6MT traded for 2014 JSW with 6MT-TOTALED in November 2016, 2003 ALH 5MT conversion (sold), wheezing 2015 GSW/DSG and a new 2021 Tacoma Access Cab 4x4 p'up
oil change?

If there was mention of a free oil change in my phase 2 invitation letter, I missed it. I need to look at it again. I am at ~1000 miles from 20k oil change (should get a fuel filter too).

I have 4 dealerships in the area, so I will ask before committing. The extended warantee to 160k, or 11 years on the DPF, HPFP, and turbo (all CLEARLY stated in the phase 2 letter) is worth it. I am going for it.

ilyago

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Jetta S DSG
I am at 30K on my 2015 Jetta S TDI (stop sale edition). Going in for the phase 2 fix next week. Do I have a choice of doing phase 2A and 2B or just 2A? What are the pros and cons of doing just 2A vs 2A plus 2B ? I am thinking of having 2B done once I reach 80K+ miles on the car.

Lightflyer1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Beetle tdi dsg
You aren't supposed to get 2B until 45k miles or more, but they have done some early who were somewhat close as you are. I would discuss it with the dealer and insist only 2A be done as specified, if that is what you want.

SilverGhost

Veteran Member
TDI
You get what the chart says you get. Below a certain mileage (that depends on manual/DSG) you only get an additional sensor and software. Above that mileage you also get a new DPF.

When I asked our reps about when people would be able to come back for second half (2B) they shrugged and squirmed. MY OPINION on that response is you might NOT automatically get a DPF at some time in the future.

Jason