jetta tdi a4 2000 headlight wiring harness

edfcmc

Veteran Member
TDI
I am trying to replace my headlight assembly (passenger side). I have been able to figure everything (removing the front bumper cover) except for the removal of the wiring hiring. I cannot determine what holds the wiring harness in place. I dont want to break the the holding mechanism.

How do I remove the wiring harness? Is it just like the one that connects to the MAF?

Anybody? Thanks in advance.

dieseldorf

Top Post Dawg
TDI
ex- 1996 wagon, ex-2000 Jetta
are you speaking about unplugging the connector from the rear of the headlight assy /images/graemlins/confused.gif

If so, it's very straightforward. The configuration is probably similar to the MAFS where they're using a locking mechanism of some sort...it's been a while since I've had one apart but I do NOT recall there were any tricks involved.

edfcmc

Veteran Member
TDI
Yes. the wiring connector at the rear of the assembly.
I tried to release it last night, but it wouldnt budge and I didnt want to break the connector/.

dieseldorf

Top Post Dawg
TDI
let's ask Lito. He most likely has a picture of the connector /images/graemlins/smirk.gif

tongsli

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2000 Jetta TDI, 2004, Jetta Wagon TDI PD
Well, I'm not sure about a picture, but the headlamps are susceptable to sand, water and other junk.

You pull back on it just like the MAF. They are identical. So if you can remove your MAF, then you know how to remove the headlamp harness.

Try pushing the harness IN a little first, then pull back on the little tab.

Sometimes I use a VERY large flat blade screw driver(twisting it slightly) to put gentle pressure on the plastic tab.

Also, try taking some Electronics parts cleaner, or WD 40 and spray the top part of the housing to loosen things up.

L

dieseldorf

Top Post Dawg
TDI
[ QUOTE ]
Try pushing the harness IN a little first, then pull back on the little tab. Sometimes I use a VERY large flat blade screw driver(twisting it slightly) to put gentle pressure on the plastic tab.

[/ QUOTE ]