Radio compatability, A4 to B4

Warthog

Veteran Member
TDI
see Bio
I have the possibility to get (free!) an OEM working radio from a 2001 Jetta to install in my 1996 Passat (dead radio!). other than being sure I get the secret code,
(1) will it fit right up? (same connector for radio and antenna, etc?)
(2) anything I haven't thought of that will bugger this deal?
I done a lengthly search on both the B4 and A4 forum threads and haven't found anyone who's asked this.

Diesel_Aggie

Veteran Member
TDI
1996 B4, 1996 B4V
The plugs and antenna snap in fine. They apparently are not wired the same. I got a closeout reman A4 radio part number 1J0-035-180-CX from VW. When plugged in it lights up all the time but won't turn on. It is also an amber display instead of green. See http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=290318

Wiring is not my strong suit so I have taken no further action.

If you do find a solution that works, I'd like to buy your old radio. My dispaly is starting to slowly turn black with power on or off. Appears the coating on the rear is flaking off.

Warthog

Veteran Member
TDI
see Bio
I haven't done anything with either yet. The new radio for the Jetta is sitting on the floor with all the adaptors that need to be connected, and the Passat is at the nearby workshop getting a new A/C compressor and dryer installed. I check this thread every day or so, so I'll keep you in mind, Aggie, if I make the swap before you find another.

I better check the schematic for the Jetta: wire colors and function, and compare it to the Passat. I have the schematics on disk for both. Just takes some time.
thanks for the heads-up!!

Warthog

Veteran Member
TDI
see Bio
The 2001 Jetta radio was actually BIGGER, front-to-back than the Passat radio. Neither would it work without altering the wiring. Since it did not FIT, I have not installed it and am casting about for a working B4 or getting my existing one fixed.
Not working too hard at it tho, as radio is not one of my list-top jobs!!

Abacus

That helpful B4 guy
TDI
Only the B4V left
The 2001 Jetta radio was actually BIGGER, front-to-back than the Passat radio. Neither would it work without altering the wiring. Since it did not FIT, I have not installed it and am casting about for a working B4 or getting my existing one fixed.
Not working too hard at it tho, as radio is not one of my list-top jobs!!

Head to the local dealership. I searched for one with a code and could not come up with one used, they kept getting snatched up.

Oilhammer put me onto them at the dealership, and even the guy behind the parts counter couldn't believe they were only $30. I bought two. Factory refreshed with the codes. I am keeping one as a spare in case the backlights go out on this one, like they did on the original.

I can get the part number if you want. I love being able to see my display at night.

Abacus

That helpful B4 guy
TDI
Only the B4V left
Here is the stock B4 radio in my '97, the part number is 3AO 035 180X. The "X" designates a remanufactured unit, but I don't care, so long as it works. It looks and works like new, so it's just refurbished. It's not a 'great' one, but fits flush in the dash and provides sound, which is enough for me. As I understand it, there was more than one radio available in the B4 platform, but the parts guy at the dealership said the other part numbers yielded no stock left. They are very simple to get out of the dash and change, I did not use the 'special' tools, just a small flat blade to push in the lock mechanism on each side (I did them one at a time).

This is the replacement ordered through the dealership. It's the same radio, but this one has the code on the top. When I put it in, I did not need the code, but have it anyway. It does not come with a manual. It does have the little "VW" emblem on it, but you can't see it from the way I took the pic.

This is the box the radio came in. It also says "Heidelberg CR" on the end of the box, along with all the other numbers shown below.

Here is a picture of the invoice from the dealership showing the price. This radio was bought 2/14/11, so just last month. I also buy the large OEM oil filters through the dealership, which is the other number listed below the radio.

If anyone has a problem getting them, let me know, and I'll go back to my local dealership. There was no shipping on the radio. The parts guy did say there was a limited inventory, so if you're looking for one, don't hesitate. It's why I bought 2.

Many thanks again to Oilhammer, without whom I never would have known about them, and would be either using the OEM radio with no night display or an A3 radio that I didn't really like.

Last edited:

veedubyoo

Veteran Member
TDI
96 Passat TDI Variant
Holy handgrenade!! I just ordered two from Hartford VW here in Ct, how's $25 a piece?!! Maybe next week they'll be $20??(I'm not taking any chances...):D Made my day...now where's the beer?!

Abacus

That helpful B4 guy
TDI
Only the B4V left
Glad I could help. I'm also looking into the CD changers for the trunk. Looks like the stock B4 ones are only $39 (1HO 035-111-X), but the VW dealership parts manager said they were kinda junk and didn't last long. They had to replace them all the time when the cars were new.

DA, if you ever come to Maine (and Acadia is really nice), we'll throw some lobsters on the grill on the shoreline and have that beer.

veedubyoo

Veteran Member
TDI
96 Passat TDI Variant
Glad I could help. I'm also looking into the CD changers for the trunk. Looks like the stock B4 ones are only $39 (1HO 035-111-X), but the VW dealership parts manager said they were kinda junk and didn't last long. They had to replace them all the time when the cars were new.

DA, if you ever come to Maine (and Acadia is really nice), we'll throw some lobsters on the grill on the shoreline and have that beer.
I picked up said changer on Saturday with my radios..bear in mind it doesn't come with a magazine when it's rebuilt(part# ends in an X)..TDI doesn't come wired for it either, nor does it have the mount bracket...
And yes Acadia is awesome, great hiking there too, was there a year ago when one of our party decided to jump down a 6' rock and split her shin lengthwise from knee to ankle:eek:...rangers carried her the 1hr out, but that's another story.
And MMM to the lobstah!