Class Action on Keys ...

Joe_Meehan

Top Post Dawg
TDI
NB TDI, 2002.5, Silver
I got my Class Action Notice in the mail today. It indicates my option to opt out of the suit.

As I read it, it appears there is a class action suit due to VW's exclusivity when it comes to new keys or programming of keys.

It also came with a new page for the owner's manual advising owners to contact VW right away if a key is lost, so that key can be deactivated.

I also includes a phone number to call to find out who in your area may have the ability to change or make new keys, including the programming required.

ericy

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Golf TDI (wife's car)
Joe_Meehan said:
I got my Class Action Notice in the mail today. It indicates my option to opt out of the suit.
Yeah, we got two in the mail today. One for my car, and one for my fiancee's.

Not sure what it means though. Typically the only one that gets any money in these deals are the lawyers. If VW is forced to make this easier (i.e. hand out the SKC), I guess something good comes out of it all.

owr084

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Passat GLS, 2005, Stonehenge Gray
Got two last Friday. As much as I hate lawyers and class action suits, I hate things like digital rights managements and anything else that effectively prevents me from doing whatever I want to what I bought even more. I should not have to pay VW to get the code to unlock or start my car. It is my car, dammit. And the same goes for all those codes needed to unlock various devices in the car.

RabbitGTI

Top Post Dawg
TDI
B4 Passat Sedan
I got one too, but I"m not gonna read all that crap. Does it mean I can go to Menards and get a key made for $1.25 :gomersmilie:

crappietroll

TDI
2005 Passat Wagon 2.0
umm

The way I understand it, as I speed read while watching tv, is that if you have already purchased a backup key and need the code that VWgoA would reinburse you.

Maybe someone can clarify or pay more attention when they read it.

daedalus

Veteran Member
TDI
05 Variant TDI Black w/Gray
I have not recived a letter. Is there any more detail on what the suit seeks and which model years are included? A scanned or attached copy of the letter you got would be appreciated.

DeezlBug

TDI
2001 NB TDI w/ALH, automatic
The VW "Smart Key Replacement Page" is here:
http://www.vw.com/myvw/yourcar/smartkey/en/us/

The class action settlement notice is posted on VW's website here:
http://www.vw.com/myvw/yourcar/smartkey/en/us/assets/glasserClassActionNotice.pdf
It is exactly the same as the two I got in the mail.

The list of "Authorized Independent Repair Facilities is here:
http://www.vw.com/myvw/yourcar/smartkey/en/us/assets/GlasserIndependentRepairFacilities.pdf
There aren't many.

From my reading of the pamphlet, it doesnt appear that VW will reimburse anyone for anything. What it does say, is that VW must overnight deliver a new replacement key, must make the key reprogramming codes available, and must mke the equipment to reprogram keys available. To whom exactly, I'm not quite clear. It mentions independent locksmiths, repair centers, and the like, but its not too specific exactly what that means. I have two fobs from my wife's '02 Jetta that was totalled in December, and only one key & fob for her current money pit '01 NB. I hope to discover how to get the Jetta fobs reprogrammed to the NB on the cheap.

DeezlBug

TDI
2001 NB TDI w/ALH, automatic
The class action suit covers VW's and Audi's 2007 and earlier, if I recall correctly.

TT71

Veteran Member
TDI
06 Jetta DSG
I scanned through mine on friday. The only interpretation that stuck in my mind are
1. The lawyers will get richer.
2. The victims meaning you and I get this mailing that the lawyers are getting richer. Thanks to us buying a VW.
I'm not being too cynical, Am I?

compu_85

Gadget Guy
TDI
... None :S
Did you look at how small the list of non vw service centers is :rolleyes: What a joke.

The Immo is easy to defeat anyway if you have the right tools. They're spendy, but they do work.

-Jason

vtyankee

TDI
2006.5 Jetta Package 1 Campanella White
ericy said:
Yeah, we got two in the mail today. One for my car, and one for my fiancee's.

Not sure what it means though. Typically the only one that gets any money in these deals are the lawyers. If VW is forced to make this easier (i.e. hand out the SKC), I guess something good comes out of it all.
Not always! I had a '97 ES300 "sludgemaker" Lexus and after 4 years of Lexota literally laughing at our attempts to get compensation for an engine they knew to be defective someone in Louisiana filed a class action lawsuit and we got repaid every cent for the used Camry motor we put in it as a replacement.
Because I would never, ever buy from Lexota again I eventually stumbled upon TDI's. Had Lexota not been arrogant theives I would have gotten a Prius. Not only that but I have cost them several truck and auto sales from my friends as well.
Heres to liberal tort laws! :D

WilliamJ1

TDI
2002 GLS
I received my letter last week also, and since I bought my car used it came with one key. I have suprisingly (for me) not lost it in over a year.

So I called my local dealer, and they told me it was $150 for *each* blank key, $75 labor to program it; it would take a week to get the codes reset. Oh, and a Valet Key was $50.

Hmm, that doesn't sound very helpful. I may have to call one of those on their key list, or try another dealer. Or is this the norm for replacements?

wfg97079

Veteran Member
TDI
for the first time in 17 years, none
hmm

I have a FOB that I got a blade cut for, but it needs to ber programmed. Does this letter mean anything as far as how I can get this coded?
WilliamJ1 said:
I received my letter last week also, and since I bought my car used it came with one key. I have suprisingly (for me) not lost it in over a year.

So I called my local dealer, and they told me it was $150 for *each* blank key, $75 labor to program it; it would take a week to get the codes reset. Oh, and a Valet Key was $50.

Hmm, that doesn't sound very helpful. I may have to call one of those on their key list, or try another dealer. Or is this the norm for replacements?

Joe_Meehan

Top Post Dawg
TDI
NB TDI, 2002.5, Silver
wfg97079 said:
I have a FOB that I got a blade cut for, but it needs to ber programmed. Does this letter mean anything as far as how I can get this coded?
As I understand it VW now has to sell the tools and information needed to independent shops, like locksmiths. That should result in lower cost to you.

wfg97079

Veteran Member
TDI
for the first time in 17 years, none
Ok, so who will be the first club member to get a setup to do it?

txpigeon

TDI
2003 Jetta GLS Wagon, his (Tornado Red early MY) & hers (Mohave Beige late MY)
I just read through the fine print. Basically, it says nothing will change. The only way I can see to be able to get the SKC is through the GEKO system. The locksmiths and independent shops are still required to buy or lease the equipment from VW or their distributor. If all US owners were to send an objection stating that the settlement should include free delivery of the SKC to any owner requesting it, that might change. Otherwise, it might be best to opt out so that you're not bound by any terms of the settlement.

Duane

sustainable builder

TDI
tdi Golf 2004 2002 6.6 duramax chevrolet
talking about keys my battery died in one key fob and put in a new battery but still doesn't work, anyone knnow how to fix it. The other key fob works just fine.
2004 vw golf tdi upsoluted

mrGutWrench

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'03 Jetta Wagon, 5-speed, 563K Miles (July '23)
txpigeon said:
(snip) Otherwise, it might be best to opt out so that you're not bound by any terms of the settlement.
Duane
__. But what does it get you to opt out? It appears to me that if you opt out, VW will continue to ignore anything you want and hose you at every opportunity; if you opt in, VW will tell you that the settlement gives them the right to ignore anything you want and hose you at every opportunity. So, where's the beef?

mrGutWrench

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'03 Jetta Wagon, 5-speed, 563K Miles (July '23)
sustainable builder said:
talking about keys my battery died in one key fob and put in a new battery but still doesn't work, anyone knnow how to fix it. The other key fob works just fine.
2004 vw golf tdi upsoluted
__. Does the little red light on the fob light up when you press the button? If not, it could be a bad battery or maybe you got it put in backward. Or maybe the fob is just bad. Does the key work to start the car?