VW Cross Coupe Diesel-Hybrid Concept - 131 mpg

mazot

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta Wagon, 2003, Indigo Blue
This concept plug-in hybrid diesel-electric vehicle will be shown Geneva Auto Show (March 6 - 18).

To read the entire article on Autoweek here is the link.

Tarbe

Veteran Member
TDI
Touareg and Sportwagon Sold to VW
Hopefully we will see some of this technology available here in my lifetime!

atc98002

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Passat TDI SEL Premium (sold back), 2009 Jetta (sold back), 80 Rabbit diesel (long gone)
While I would want to see it in person, I would probably replace my Tiguan in a heartbeat for this with this powertrain, not a gas rig!!!

scubagli

Veteran Member
TDI
1986 audi 4000Q ALH SWAP in progress...
Read the write up on vortex, pretty impressive...

Sent from my cerebral cortex using Tapatalk

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Passat SEL, 2017 Alltrack SE; BB 2010 Sedan Man; 2012 Passat,
they'll sell a million of them in the US!

oh wait

Padrino

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 / Golf 1.9 TDI 5-speed
And the reason why we will never see it here is:
".....with combined fuel consumption of 131 mpg (U.S.) on the European test cycle."
They don't want us to have even Ford diesel in this country but this VW...never.
Back in Europe Ford sells over 80% of his cars as diesel, the new Ford Focus 1.6TDci for example is capable of 60MPG (US) without even trying to hard :(

Engineers<3Diesel

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 VW Jetta TDI
The only way this gets better is if puppies are the only thing emitted from the exhaust pipe! Been waiting for a diesel electric for a very long time now!

kjclow

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2010 JSW TDI silver and black. 2017 Ram Ecodiesel dark red with brown and beige interior.
If they would mate the electric motors with the already EPA approved 2.0 CR TDI, we might be able to see it while I can still afford a new car. This makes a lot more sense for VWOA to offer than the Jetta hybrid.

Last edited:

RNDDUDE

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Jetta Sportwagen TDI
And you are going to wait a lot longer ;).
Well, maybe not so long. They are pretty far along on the development, and unlike most of their other desirable cars, by far the biggest market for hybrids is right here in the USA.

kjclow

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2010 JSW TDI silver and black. 2017 Ram Ecodiesel dark red with brown and beige interior.
If they would mate the electric motors with the already EPA approved 2.0 CR TDI, we might be able to see it while I can still afford a new car. This makes a lot more sense for VWOA to offer than the Jetta hybrid.
After reading the whole article on vortex, I see that the MQB frame requires a different TDI engine, so my idea above won't work.:( I don't really like the looks of the crossover but am hoping that they offer the hybrid diesel set up in other vehicles.

TornadoRed

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI wagon, silver; 2003 Jetta TDI wagon, indigo blue; 2003 Golf GL 5-spd, red (PARTED); 2003 Golf GLS 5-spd, indigo blue (SOLD); 2003 Jetta TDI wagon, Candy White (SOLD)
Assuming 131 mpg, the average person driving 20k miles a year would buy about 150 gallons of fuel a year.

Or about 300 gallons more than the person driving an existing TDI that gets about 44 mpg.

So, do the calculations and figure out how much you would save in fuel, and how much you'd be willing to pay for a vehicle that saves you 300 gallons a year.

I would want a three-year payoff period, so I would pay a premium of about $3600 (assuming 900 gallons at today's price of about $4.00/gallon).

The Golf TDI that I would buy today, if I was buying a new one today, costs about $25,650. So, it would make sense for me to pay up to $30,000 (approximately) for a comparable diesel-hybrid model. Any price higher than that would not make good sense.

wolfskin

Veteran Member
TDI
Skoda Fabia Combi TDI
Good sense TRed, but I'd always factor in a certain rate of increase of fuel prices.

The only way fuel will ever (read that: within our lifetime) get cheaper is with major economic recession, in which case it won't really feel cheaper.
(I said that on this very board back in 2008 when people said oil will go back down to 50$, I said it might, but only with a really strong economic crisis)

pknopp

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Jetta Sportwagen
A wash in cost wouldn't matter to me. It will take me forever to "break even" on our TDI over the 2.5 version (outside of the fact that RUG and diesel are very close in price where I live right now) but I still went the extra for the TDI.

I doubt I'll ever be interested in a Tiguan but if sometime in the future a diesel/electric hybrid is offered in a JSW, I'll pay more than "break even" money for it.

TornadoRed

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI wagon, silver; 2003 Jetta TDI wagon, indigo blue; 2003 Golf GL 5-spd, red (PARTED); 2003 Golf GLS 5-spd, indigo blue (SOLD); 2003 Jetta TDI wagon, Candy White (SOLD)
Right now, people are comparing the Toyota Corolla and the the Toyota Prius, and buying the Prius because the premium is not that great and the fuel savings are measurable.

They are not buying the Chevy Volt, because it costs much more than the Chevy Cruze, gets only slightly better fuel mileage, and is likely to have much higher maintenance costs.

There are no diesel-hybrid cars being offered to the public because they would cost too much compared to competing models. Even if there was, it would likely only get around 60-80 mpg and so would only save a few hundred gallons of fuel annually.

This is technology that would make more sense in buses and commercial trucks that are driven a great number of miles annually.

tomc585

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 Jetta TDI Sportwagen
Doubtful we will ever see this. The oil millionaires will never let it happen anytime soon and I'm sure the sticker price will be way beyond many of our bankrolls.

TornadoRed

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Doubtful we will ever see this. The oil millionaires will never let it happen anytime soon and I'm sure the sticker price will be way beyond many of our bankrolls.
Can you name one of these oil millionaires, with the power to veto the actions of auto company executives?

kjclow

Top Post Dawg
TDI
The so-called "oil miiionaires" don't care about how good of mileage a car gets. It still needs oil to propel itself across the road, and to be manufactured. You may be able to buy an electric car that does not require you to put liquid fuel into it, but we still do not have a way of making all the plastic, carpet, trim, seat cushions and covers, tires, fabricate the steel and body panels.... without oil.

pknopp

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Jetta Sportwagen
The so-called "oil miiionaires" don't care about how good of mileage a car gets. It still needs oil to propel itself across the road, and to be manufactured. You may be able to buy an electric car that does not require you to put liquid fuel into it, but we still do not have a way of making all the plastic, carpet, trim, seat cushions and covers, tires, fabricate the steel and body panels.... without oil.
Soy beans. Right now the quality isn't as good but it works in certain applications.

kjclow

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Soy beans. Right now the quality isn't as good but it works in certain applications.
Corn and bio waste are also being looked at but still nothing on a major commercial application. I have noticed carpet being sold lately where the fabric tufts are made from corn.

Wingnut

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Silver 2003 Jetta Wagon
This concept plug-in hybrid diesel-electric vehicle will be shown Geneva Auto Show (March 6 - 18).
To read the entire article on Autoweek here is the link.
IF we ever see this here, I hope they change the styling. It looks too much like Ford front end. VW is still missing a huge opportunity to sell a lot of vehicles if they offered a small pick-up with a diesel. There is no competition in that market in North America.

bhtooefr

TDIClub Enthusiast, ToofTek Inventor
TDI
None
You'll never actually see 131 mpg in a vehicle like this.

So, VW's using the NEDC cycle, which is 11.007 km long.

On their plug-in hybrid prototypes, they tend to not include electricity usage in NEDC figures.

This means that, in 11.007 km of driving, at 33.6 km/h average, on a fully-charged battery, they used 0.198 liters of diesel, and an unknown quantity of electricity.

However, VW does eventually give up the real figures, by stating their fuel and electricity range.

Pure electric mode has a range of up to 28 miles, and the 14.5 gallon tank has a range of 800 miles. On 772 miles, that's 53.2 miles per US gallon combined on NEDC - good, but not much better than an ordinary Golf TDI on the NEDC cycle.