DMF problems, i think, help!

n4franci

TDI
2004 Jetta TDI
I will be the first to admit I know very little about transmissions/ clutchs/ Dual Mass Flywheels.

Here is the problem:

My TDI makes a clunking noise coming from the clutch / transmission area when the vehicle is in nuetral and the clutch is NOT pressed.

I am assuming it is the DMF, but not sure. What should be my next step? Should I go dealership or somewhere else? Should I get the "G60/VR6 kit"? and does that kit include a new clutch or only a flywheel? and finally, what should I expect to spend on the parts and service, so I know I am not getting ripped off?

Thanks, you guys are awesome!:)

MCathcart

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta
Is the noise only noticed at idle? Does it "clunk" once and stop or continue clunking?

I've heard some that will "clunk" several times (really on each compression stroke) until it's running. Also listen for a "Clunk" when you turn the engine off. If it hasn't gone Metal to Metal yet I've seen some make the "Clunking" noise for a year before dying but... If you feel sure it's dying why wait for it to come out and bust the transmission housing! (If you've ever heard one go Metal to Metal, no one in their right mind would continue to drive the car.)

In my opinion, go with one of the new G60/solid flywheel clutches made for the Tdi. I put the Valeo in my wifes Jetta since it will never be rodded as long as we own it. I was very concerned about addition noise of vibration and it's great. We've put about 5,000 miles on it so far and I couldn't be happier. I can tell you this "I will Never put another DMF in a VW Tdi". I've seen them fail with 5,000 miles and I've seen'm last past 160k.

Try to find a Tdi Guru in your area.

What is your Tdi? (year and model)
How many miles?
Do you have plans for adding more HP?

Capt. Mike

n4franci

TDI
2004 Jetta TDI
the noise is only at idle ( about 1000 rpm).
its a 2004 jetta tdi, not sure the model tho, old body style.
70,000 miles
no plans to add more hp.

what exactly is a VR6? as compared to a G60 flywheel.

hid3

Banned
TDI
Golf V 1.9 TDI-PD 105 HP
I have the same problem (failing DMF). Pressing the clutch a bit helps the problem. Will change of my driving style (holding clutch pressed while in neutral) prolong the life of the tranny/DMF? I can't afford the DMF replacement yet...

PDJetta

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'04 Jetta GLS TDI Pumpe Duce Platinum Grey w/ Leather
"what exactly is a VR6? as compared to a G60 flywheel."

The clutch disc and pressure plate is from the Volkswagen VR-6 (6-cylinder gasoline engine) and the flywheel is from a Volkswagen G-60 Corrado. The G60 flywheel will bolt up to the TDI crankshaft (while the VR-6 flywheel won't). The VR-6 clutch and pressure plate will bolt to the G-60 flywheel and it has more clamping force than the stock TDI clutch, so is a nice upgrade when "chipping" the car for more power.

The G-60 flywheel is a single hunk of machined steel, which works quite well, and is trouble free. I have this set-up in my TDI and love it. The kit is under $400:

http://www.dieselgeek.com/servlet/Detail?no=445

It's crucial to replace these bolts when the tramnsission is re-installed (as part of the clutch job):

http://www.dieselgeek.com/servlet/Detail?no=280

--Nate

Last edited:

n4franci

TDI
2004 Jetta TDI
Thanks PDJetta, that is great information!

hid3, it sounds like we have identical issues. The noise in my jetta is minimized as well when I hold the clutch down.

$373 for a flywheel and clutch! why does that seem too good to be true? I realize a huge portion of the cost in transmission work is labor, but the VW dealership quoted me $1800, that seems extreme even for the dealership. I wonder what I will spend to have a transmission shop install the flywheel and clutch. Any ideas?

hid3

Banned
TDI
Golf V 1.9 TDI-PD 105 HP
Anyone know what EXACTLY failed in the DMF? Maybe it's just a matter to replace bolt/spring/cover or some other small part instea of all the DMF?

Also, should I replace only flywheel or also the clutch (even mine is good!)?

PS: I have 6 speed tranny so no 'vr6' or other kits suit for me....

RichmondKYtdi

n4franci, total from a guru (Jon Hamilton, awesome, new parts and install) ran me around 900 bucks. I had my DMF and clutch replaced a little less than a year ago. The two flywheels had seized together. The replacement VR6 kit is stronger BUT a bit louder noise at neutral (the dual flywheels create a quieter idle). Write to Oilhammer and see what it runs, he would be someone i would trust and could quote you a price.