Transmission Speed Sensor GEAR???

Combine17

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Golf GTD
Im in the process of replacing my speed sensor.

turns out there is a gear inside the transmission? But it looks broken to me!

I tried google for answers but cant find anything...can anyone confirm that if its broken.

Here is the picture. Its the left side (near the gear) i think the whole rod is suppose to be bigger because when i look inside the transmission hole where the rod was i think i i see another piece...plus the end of the rod seems to be broken off (near the gear)

Can i get this new part from somewhere....where do i go from here? :S

AndyBees

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Silver 2003 Jetta TDI, Silver 2000 Jetta TDI (sold), '84 Vanagon with '02 ALH engine
Based on the two I have laying on the shelf, looks like you got it all out! Not broken!

Why did you have to remove it?

rt_hawk

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Audi Q7 TDI S-Line
I just replaced my VSS too and it does look broken to me. Mine had aproximatley an extra inch on yours. Dealer would be the best bet to get the bottom piece for the VSS. If you have an auto that sensor (g68 I think) just runs the speedo and cruise, so it won't effect shift points or driveability. Good luck!

Combine17

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Golf GTD
what does VSS stand for?

so is it broken or no? and it came unscewed while i was replacing my speed sensor...so i took it out to see what it is and thats what i found....anyone know the part number or cost? idparts doesnt have it :(

car is 2001 Jetta TDI, 5 Speed

rt_hawk

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Audi Q7 TDI S-Line
VSS - Vehicle speed sensor, I think it's broke... there should be a taper on the end of the shaft you use to check the fluid level in the differential...I'd just take it to the dealer, they can get the part number and part.

rt_hawk

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Audi Q7 TDI S-Line
I'd see if it works with the new speed sensor, if it does throw some black rtv on the threads, to prevent differential leaks, and call it good.

AndyBees

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Silver 2003 Jetta TDI, Silver 2000 Jetta TDI (sold), '84 Vanagon with '02 ALH engine
Well, if part of it is still in the tranny, the new one will not screw all the way down!

Combine17

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Golf GTD
Thats the thing...i cant tell if its floating around in the tranny or of its just sitting there...its screws all the way down.

but the real reason why i changed the speed sensor was because of "slow down shudder" When i had it unplugged the slow down shudder didnt happen. Now when its plugged in it still happens.

So i dont get it...does it have to do something with the broken gear end? or a blown fuse maybe?

Combine17

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Golf GTD
also i had my injection quantity changed before...it was good for about half hour..then i shut off the car and let it sit for another half hour....started it up and the quantity jumped back to the original posistion it was at (when it was shuddering) i believe it was at 1. and i changed it to 3.

KLXD

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'98, '2 Jettas
Wadaya mean by bigger? Longer?

Take a picher that shows the end better where you think it's broken. It looks ok to me.

Except the oil. Looks nasty.

Combine17

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Golf GTD
so most likely mine is broken....would that have any effect on "slow down shudder" ....like i said when my speed sensor was disconnected i didn't have a slow down shudder problem.

rt_hawk

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Audi Q7 TDI S-Line
Slow down shudder is caused by injection quantity being off, should be between 3 and 5 mg. Go to TDI 101, go to the how to's and look up hammer mod. You need vag com to do it, your IQ can only be adjusted so much electronically, your pump probably needs a physical adjustment.

Last edited:

AndyBees

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Like this...http://i1140.photobucket.com/albums/n569/rthawk110/2648273b.jpg

The manual one may be different, the one in the pic is for a 01m, the taper is used to check the fluid level.

Its to check the "differential oil" which is separate from the transmission fluid in the 01M Automatic! (per the Bentley)

I just checked the two VSSes in my stock. One of them is obviously from an automatic because the part past the gear is just a little over 1.5 inches long and does have the smaller end for checking the differential oil level.

The other VSS between the gear area and the threaded area is shorter. I do know it come from a 5-speed. However, I cannot elaborate on the gear and beyond because I have cut that part off for custom use in my conversion project.

rt_hawk

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Audi Q7 TDI S-Line
Good to know, I knew the 01m and whole separate differential fluid jazz, but I didnt know that the 5 speed requires a different VSS gear. The Germans were slacking on that design, should have made it fit both and stream lined production! VSS forward design!

Combine17

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Golf GTD
i understand slow down shudder happens because of injection quantity. Read about that ALOT lol.

But what i dont understand is why it doesnt happen when i have my VSS unplugged. Would it not happen because the injection pump doesnt know the speed of the car AT ALL? (since the VSS is unplugged) Because as soon as i plug in the VSS the shudder starts again...even at idle it happens half the time.

rt_hawk

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Audi Q7 TDI S-Line
There are 3 speed sensors for this car, or maybe that is just for 01m cars.... I think the VSS just gives input to the speedo and cruise. So I have no idea how unplugging it helps SDS...

indysoto

Veteran Member
While replace VSS speed sensor automatic replace 75w90 synthetic

While your at it, replace your old brown muck with 75w90 synthetic gear oil.. I used a mightvac with 100ml bottle and a custom 3.5 ft hose, shove it down the hole VSS hole and I sucked out about 540ml so thats 6 times you take the bottle off, replaced w 750ml of fresh..

PS. Be really careful of the plastic, do not torque very much at all, mine was 22mm socket after top came off with wrench.

Yes I realize this thread is old.

rt_hawk

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Audi Q7 TDI S-Line
Why did you need a 100ml bottle? I did the same thing with my mightyvac 7201 actually, took out the old, filled with brand new shiny synthetic gear oil. Then traded off the 01m for a 06. And now I’m in a 2017 Jetta with a 1.4 gasser. I moved to Boston to start working in the science field again and driving my truck and having a second car around wasn’t going to work in the land of no parking and constant road rage. Still have my triumph though. Ahhh memories, thanks for the stroll down memory lane Indysoto...

indysoto

Veteran Member
Why did you need a 100ml bottle? I did the same thing with my mightyvac 7201 actually, took out the old, filled with brand new shiny synthetic gear oil. Then traded off the 01m for a 06. And now I’m in a 2017 Jetta with a 1.4 gasser. I moved to Boston to start working in the science field again and driving my truck and having a second car around wasn’t going to work in the land of no parking and constant road rage. Still have my triumph though. Ahhh memories, thanks for the stroll down memory lane Indysoto...
Thought about getting that monster but it was rather painless the regular mighty vac bottle is 120ml taking 100 at a time does not spill all over the engine bay upon fill/pour/repeat ;)