What did you do to your MKIV today?

tdidieselbobny

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'03 Galactic Blue Jetta TDI, '15 Silk Blue Golf Sportwagen TDI
After listening to some rear brake scraping on my way to pick up rest of parts from PO in Maryland,I decided to tackle them yesterday. I online ordered them from Advance on my way back Friday,picked them up yesterday.The PO had a set of rear Brembo rotors,so I didn't use the ones I ordered(only got the rebate with Gold pads,not the platinum ones). The right rear caliper was dragging,so I ordered that. Getting down to work, both sides were shot, they all were worn on angle from top of pad to bottom, right side worse-almost nothing left on bottom of inner pad.When I removed pads on driver side,I noticed the piston boot was torn and piston didn't look too good,so luckily my local Advance had one that I online ordered and picked up before they closed(I like Advance as I used a 25% discount code that you can find). Everything back together,will check for leaks this morning. I re-hooked up the trailer wiring power,I had to cut a spot out of the wire underneath car that PO had routed-there was some insulation missing and green corrosion. I plan on buying a trailer at Tractor Supply,hope the harness works.... have a few more new goodies to put on...

TDI-WNC

TDI
2000 Jetta TDI 5-speed
2000 TDI Jetta, 240K miles.
Fixed no start problem by replacing relay 109.

Drove one day, ran fine, next day no start. Found youtube video that was on the mark.

Turn key, no glow plug or CE light. No 12V at fuel shutoff solenoid on injector pump. Off to VW dealer for a 109 Relay (eeeeek $58 with tax). After lots of plastic removal and 7 screws could finally access the relay. Swapped it out, and it fired right up.

30 second fix, 1 hour plus to disassemble/reassemble lower dash.

romad

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2005 Jetta GLS Wagon "Cranberry"
2000 TDI Jetta, 240K miles.
Fixed no start problem by replacing relay 109.

Drove one day, ran fine, next day no start. Found youtube video that was on the mark.

Turn key, no glow plug or CE light. No 12V at fuel shutoff solenoid on injector pump. Off to VW dealer for a 109 Relay (eeeeek $58 with tax). After lots of plastic removal and 7 screws could finally access the relay. Swapped it out, and it fired right up.

30 second fix, 1 hour plus to disassemble/reassemble lower dash.
Don't toss that old relay - you may be able to fix it:
http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=354064

tdidieselbobny

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'03 Galactic Blue Jetta TDI, '15 Silk Blue Golf Sportwagen TDI
I replaced the driver door trim piece/handle. I tried wiping the grey sticky coating off the old one , but didn't turn out too well- I didn't realize they were so cheap-I bought a black one off ebay for $10, fits perfect and along with new master switch control, I can lock/unlock doors from switch and the rear windows now work:D....

babydoll

TDI
01 jetta 5 spd 01 golf 5 spd cruze diesel 9 spd auto 17
I bought a parts car for my [2000] tdi auto 164333 miles bent valve leather, sunroof complete car , nothing like have all the parts need setting in the back, think I will move the interior to my 2001 [ heated seats and all] just got my $300 2001 on the road last week [ same mileage] its a 5 speed , think its going to do well [ 300 miles and its down to 1/2 tank, [ full egr delete and straight ext , evry mod] I have a 2017 chey cruze diesel 9 speed auto , it has not been out of the garage since I put the jetta on the road, just love tdi s

STDOUBT

Veteran Member
TDI
dos jettas
My maiden voyage brake job. Just pads and rotors.
Actually did not replace the front rotors because the Fremax High Carbon I got online just seemed kinda crappy frankly. And my OE
fronts still had a good 2mm to go (at 116k) so they just got new Textar pads.

My Uncle-in-law helped me along, I did most of the grunt.
By the time we got to the second rear, we had pretty well figured out the metalnerd piston smasher. Not super impressed,but it worked.
Rear rotors replaced with coated Fremax (also made in Brazil) and we'll see how they hold up, and Jurid pads.

Normal shout out to gearheadgarage dot us!!! for saving me $300 to DIY in style.

OlyTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
'04 Golf
What did I do to my MkIV today? I backed out of the garage with the hatch open. Hatch a bit taller than garage door opening.

Gonna cost a grand easy.

I've had this car for 12 years and the garage for 20. Never, ever have done something this stupid.

JDSwan87

Black Swamp Thing
TDI
2001 Jetta TDI, 5 speed Lagoon Blue Metallic(sold); 2005 Jetta TDI Wagon auto
What did I do to my MkIV today? I backed out of the garage with the hatch open. Hatch a bit taller than garage door opening.

Gonna cost a grand easy.

I've had this car for 12 years and the garage for 20. Never, ever have done something this stupid.
That sucks

BobnOH

not-a-mechanic
TDI
New Beetle 2003 manual
Filled the back of the car with skid plate, some replacement TB covers and all the maintenance bits. Driving up to Marysville in the morning, Jon Hamilton, for a general inspection and all the aforementioned stuff. I'm getting too old and fat to do this stuff. It's hard to give it up. Car came with no maintenance/repair records.

mr.loops

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 jetta, 2003 Bora 1.8T
Polished my headlights yesterday with a 3M restoration kit and gave the paint a claybar and wax. Waxed her again today, and she looks beautiful! ...and MAN the headlights are better when they aren't foggy.

Sent from my Moto G (5S) Plus using Tapatalk

Nice work on the headlights!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

tom2turbo

TDI
2004 Jetta TDI Wagon
Suspension Refresh

170k west coast miles. Tire shop said the struts were "not leaking but are just old and needed replacing." They missed the obvious sagging front springs.

I pulled together all the new bits and pieces collected from various vendors this past year and installed them. My son was in town adding several tons of able assistance.

Blistein TG front and rear
VR6 auto Supplex front springs
Strut mounts, bump stops, dust boots, spring perches
TT control arm bushings

We gained 50mm front clearance and are very happy with the result.

Last edited:

Little-Stinker

TDI
2003 Jetta Wagon GLS TDI...(Gold)
Today I replaced the front rotors and brake pads @ 170k with new ones. Old rotors showed little wear but replaced them due to mileage. Front brake pads were worn and were ready to be replaced. In addition, I had 4 new tires put on the car under warranty from Discount Tire. I originally had Continental Contra track but was not willing to wait for the 3rd tire to have its cords bust. Switched over to Michelin Defender T+H.

h1h0silver

TDI
2003 Jetta
Replaced a/c field and got cold a/c back. Old field read open on my multi meter. When you drive 150mi to work round trip in SC summer heat, you could go insane. Still trying to get my key fob to program lol.

TDI-WNC

TDI
2000 Jetta TDI 5-speed
Nice work on the headlights!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Sam's Club did mine for $25, and warranties the work for 5 years. Wet sanded, polished and clear coated.

Figured it would be $15 - 20 for materials to do it myself, and this was much easier.

Radial GT

TDI
'13 Jetta TDI Premium DSG
Moved the boat to a different spot in the yard. Usually a job for the truck, but it was hooked up to the camper. It matches the Jetta paint almost perfectly, and if I do say so, Jetta pulled it relatively easily.

red16vdub

Veteran Member
TDI
03 JSW 5spd
My 03 wagon had a serious timing belt wobble at 30k .
I couldn’t figure out if it was a pulley, tensioner or just a defective belt, so I had it look at and the result was to replace the complete timing belt system.

Next on my list is to replace the super 10mm noisy injection pump on my 01 with 11mm .
Bajan

Last edited:

dubStrom

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 A4 Jetta (sold), 2010 JSW (sold), 2013 Passat 6MT traded for 2014 JSW with 6MT-TOTALED in November 2016, 2003 ALH 5MT conversion (sold), wheezing 2015 GSW/DSG and a new 2021 Tacoma Access Cab 4x4 p'up
Complete Left CV-Axle rebuild

Waiting for the wheel bearing pressing tool kit, so did the CV-Axle rebuild and installed it today. Wrestled the inner boot on (whoa!), then slipped on the CV

Clipped in place

Then hammered the outer CV joint off, and cleaned off the outer shaft

DONE!!

AND Installed...

The wheel bearing pressing kit should be here tonight. I want this babe back on the road be tomorrow night!!

Last edited:

hitman1985

Veteran Member
TDI
02 Jetta TDI ALH
Finally reassembled the BBS rims for the TDI ;) for 450ish and some elbow grease having reaurfaced barrels with 4 layers of clear and gray'd out insides (did this upon consulting a shop due to the vast amount of miles these will see for durability) ... Once I get the tires put on I'll update [emoji14] I think it was worth it seeing as I'll have all 3 vdubs on the same tires as of now

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

dubStrom

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 A4 Jetta (sold), 2010 JSW (sold), 2013 Passat 6MT traded for 2014 JSW with 6MT-TOTALED in November 2016, 2003 ALH 5MT conversion (sold), wheezing 2015 GSW/DSG and a new 2021 Tacoma Access Cab 4x4 p'up
Finally reassembled the BBS rims for the TDI ;) for 450ish and some elbow grease having reaurfaced barrels with 4 layers of clear and gray'd out insides (did this upon consulting a shop due to the vast amount of miles these will see for durability) ... Once I get the tires put on I'll update [emoji14] I think it was worth it seeing as I'll have all 3 vdubs on the same tires as of now

Those wheels are looking great. Lots of work. It shows!

dubStrom

Veteran Member
TDI
New Left Drive Train

New wheel bearing housing (knuckle), new wheel bearing, new LCA bushings, new inner CV, and boot, new outer CV, and boot, new lower ball mount, new strut. Drives SO much more firm and quite. This was worth all of the work. Awesome!

Figit090

Veteran Member
TDI
Lifted Unicorn! '03 Jetta GLS TDI Wagon, 5spd, Candy White, Black leather.
Oil change! I got good results from the Blackstone oil report so I put about seven or eight thousand miles on this change. Going for ten thousand on this run!

Pentosin HP2.

Sent from my Moto G (5S) Plus using Tapatalk

fruitcakesa

Top Post Dawg
TDI
04 jetta 5 spd wagon
Replaced the dead motor in the in tank fuel pump after the original finally died in my folks driveway @ 28x,xxx miles, not too shabby:)

underwhelmd

Veteran Member
TDI
1998 Beetle
A couple months ago, I bought an 01 VR6 Jetta that was tornado red for the parts that are interchangeable with my tdi. I have the front fenders, wheels (that included new 17" tires on them), all 4 doors, both bumpers etc. VR6 had a blown engine. It was stripped in my front yard and the shell that was left was towed away.... lots of fun doing that. i sold the suspension off it for half what I paid for the car.

Fenders, wheels and both rear doors are installed now. Finished the rear doors yesterday. Also installed weathertech inchannel visors in the front door windows.

Last edited:

Cleenlivin

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 Jetta TDI Sedan (DSG) boughtback, 2004 Jetta TDI Sedan (Tiptronic), 2004 Jetta TDI Sedan (5 speed)
Tracked Down Cruise Control Gremlin...

I’ve been dealing with a flaky cruise control on an 04’ PD manual sedan. The car wouldn’t hold the set cruise control speed on hills. Changed MAF, even though it wasn’t the problem it helped cars overall performance. The problem was the N75 valve. Changed it out and the car holds the set speed fine now.

Also changed fuel filter on other car. Car was hesitating and just felt sluggish. Big improvement.