Suspension banging noise coming from left-rear, only happens making left turn ???

Bud44

Veteran Member
TDI
03 Jetta TDI
Banging sound coming from the left rear of my 03 Jetta TDI. I can only hear it when I make a left turn, when I turn right I don't hear anything...

I replaced the shocks a month ago so it's not that. Also just replaced (yesterday) the rear axle bushings and it's not that. (that was a P.I.T.A)

I removed everything from the trunk including the spare tire. Also, the amp mounted in trunk is not loose.

I looked at the exhaust and muffler and wiggled it and its not banging on anything either ...

I am perplexed :confused::confused::confused:
HELP :(

vwdieseling

Veteran Member
TDI
Beetle, more bugs
Did you check rear shock bushings, also your spring perches to see if springs possibly rotated out of there perches. I have a 2000 Beetle, but I believe the rear suspension is different from the Jetta's. I have just a shock and a separate spring. I believe the Jetta's have a strut type. If not it could be your shock mounts. I replaced my rear shocks two weeks ago. I thought I would go cheap and just do the shocks. Talk about some crazy banging. My shock mounts needed replaced, it is recommended when replacing shocks or even struts to replace bushings and mounts depending on what you have.

Bud44

Veteran Member
TDI
03 Jetta TDI
Did you check rear shock bushings, also your spring perches to see if springs possibly rotated out of there perches. I have a 2000 Beetle, but I believe the rear suspension is different from the Jetta's. I have just a shock and a separate spring. I believe the Jetta's have a strut type. If not it could be your shock mounts. I replaced my rear shocks two weeks ago. I thought I would go cheap and just do the shocks. Talk about some crazy banging. My shock mounts needed replaced, it is recommended when replacing shocks or even struts to replace bushings and mounts depending on what you have.
Thanks, I will check shocks again. maybe I got a defective one.

Bud44

Veteran Member
TDI
03 Jetta TDI
Ok well, i removed the left rear shock and took the car for a drive and I did not hear any banging noise so I guess I had a defective shock. I found my sales recipt and i was still within the 90 days warranty. So I exchanged the shock put the new one on and the car drives fine, no noise. All this time it was a defect in the shock...

que4dog

TDI
2001 VW Beetle TDI
Interesting, I purchased new shocks and mounts and I seem to have the exact same problem. I'll try to remove the shock to check it.

Bud44

Veteran Member
TDI
03 Jetta TDI
My banging is back. Ha. Maybe its just the cheepo monroe shocks for $29 from pep boys.

magnusdog

Just outside the Berkeley of the Midwest (Madison,
TDI
2005 Jetta GLS Reflex Silver
When you put in the new shocks the first time, did you also replace the shock mounts at the top? I've read that they can wear out and cause a clunk. It's at least another place to check out or rule out.

Good luck- chasing down odd noises that of course only occur while in motion has got to be one of the most frustrating things to do with cars.

Brad

Bud44

Veteran Member
TDI
03 Jetta TDI
When you put in the new shocks the first time, did you also replace the shock mounts at the top? I've read that they can wear out and cause a clunk. It's at least another place to check out or rule out.

Good luck- chasing down odd noises that of course only occur while in motion has got to be one of the most frustrating things to do with cars.

Brad
I did not replace the shock mounts. I will look at it. Thanks.

Bud44

Veteran Member
TDI
03 Jetta TDI
Well the banging is still there, coming from the left rear. The shock mounts look tight.