DIY Dawes Device

onehotspud

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Jetta TDI
I've made my own Dawes Device. I didn't want to wait for one to arrive in the mail. I'd post a picture, but my server isn't working right now. It looks and acts just like the Dawes Device at half the cost and one tenth the wait. Has anyone else done this?

Growler

Got Soot Vendor
TDI
Schmutz, 2015 Golf Sportwagen DSG & Schnurren, 2001 Golf GL 2 door 5M
please email pics/instructions to:
ibbruck(at)excite(dot)com I will post them for you.

you could also login to the picture server here and host them yourself.

I am sure others would love to see what you have done

juli0s

Veteran Member
TDI
Golf TDI 1996
i just got my Dawes a few weeks ago,

my friend tells me its just a couple of plumbers fixings bolted together....

i'd be interested to see what you've used !

onehotspud

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Jetta TDI

And, you're right. It's just some plumbing fittings. The relief valve is Grainger part #5Z763. The nipple fitting on the one end and the copper tubing were both from a mom & pop hardware store.

The problem with this is the nureled end. All that is there is a hole. I thought there might be threads to screw a fitting in to. There isn't. Thus the reason for the copper tubing. I found some that was just big enough to slide in tightly. I then used glue to seal things up.

***EDIT: The glue didn't hold that long. I ended up soldering the copper tubing in.

I'm not trying to take money away from the guy that's selling these or make anything off it. His website said 10-15 days to recieve the product. I don't want to baby my car for that long. My turbo vanes might get stuck by then.

Thank you to brucep for finding the part in this thread. I can't take credit for all the work.

Last edited:

je

Veteran Member
TDI
-
I made my own with plumbing fittings and a spring and ball from a surplus store. It took work to machine out the centre to fit the spring and provide a good seating surface for the ball (not a lot, but a lot of trial and error). It's also tricky to get a spring that works well, and to adjust the inside length of the barrel - but it does work, if not that well. If you're good at machining, it would be better.

canadianveedub

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
2002 Golf
my valve

These are some pics of my valve.
This one is an exploded view.
The parts are all from Home Depot except the ball bearing. The cap screw goes into a barbed fitting that I cut off and tapped to the correct size. After I had the parts it took 10 minutes to make. The ball bearings are from a bicycle shop (5/16 I think)

Exploded view:

Threaded fitting:

Ball bearing in seat:

Assembled view:

tequilaiam

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 NB
To bring this up again, I have a quick question:

Is this thing venting pressure from the intake (post turbo) into the vacuum line to the trubo actuator? I want to be sure before trying it.

Growler

Got Soot Vendor
TDI
Schmutz, 2015 Golf Sportwagen DSG & Schnurren, 2001 Golf GL 2 door 5M
yes, it sends the extra boost pressure into the VNT actuator vacuum line between the N75 & the VNT POT to force the Vanes open inside the turbo, this reduces boost.

DynoJetta

TDI
'03 Jetta GLS, 5-speed, 242K original owner
Hey Alex (canadiaveedub) could you post a list of the fitting sizes you used to make your MBC? A size list would greatly help searching through the countless bins. Thanks!

canadianveedub

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
2002 Golf
All of the fittings are 1/4 inch. You will just have to go to the store and figure it out. The bolt is one I had laying around and happened to have a tap that was the same thread pitch.
Once I get my BlackBox production units up and running, I will be selling an inexpensive boost valve on my site. Hopefully I will be selling units in about 3 weeks or so.

454k30

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Jetta
The dawes device is just cheap plumbing parts; however I do have to agree with Diesel Benz that without machining that fixture will have a lot of internal leakage. I haven't taken a dawes device apart to see if they did any machine work where the ball seats.

milehighassassin

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2005 Golf TDi PD, Reflex Silver
Does it really matter? Isn't that what you are doing is creating a bleeder? You will have to adjust it, but once adjusted you actually already compensated for the leak right?

Diesel_Benz

Banned
TDI
Mercedes
On a wastegate, it doesn't matter since available airflow is very high and there is already a vent hole on the other side.

In a vacuum system it makes a difference since airflow volume is very limited and even small leaks have an impact on vacuum pressure. Its like having a cracked hose.