changing gearbox oil???

TDI-passat

TDI
Passat 1997 TDI Marine blue
What is the common interval in changing the oil in the gearbox?
Mine is making a 'singing' noise only in really hot weather just at the point between accellerating and decellerating. Has anyone had the same experience? And did an oil change solve the noise?
I presume it is time to change the oil, it has been 250.000 km when oil got in (at the factory).
I'm thinking of replacing it with Castrol Syntrax 75W90, a full syntetic. Any good?

Frank M

BANNED
TDI
NB
I used Mobil 1 75w-90 synthetic once.

My experience with Mobil 1 synthetic was great at first. Then I found in cold temps it was stiff shifting. Took longer and longer to thin out as weeks went on. Then my second gear would grind in cold weather. I assumed it was to slippery to grab the syncro. That day I went to dealer for the OEM. $32 per quart and well worth it. Next thing would have been the syncro rounding all it's and second gear's teeth ..

I emailed Mobil and they said "do not use Mobil 1 in my VW transaxle" Mobil 1 is GL5

My other lesson I learned was instead of changing my lube at 100k I should have waited till 150 -175k to see what it looked liked. My original was like new at 100k. I understand even at those miles it looks good. Metal gets caught in an interbnal magnet.

I did have a hum when one wheel was spinning faster than the other i.e. snow. The new lube from VW is updated to eliminate this and this it did.

Octavian

Veteran Member
TDI
Skoda Superb 2.5TDI V6, Skoda Octavia 1.9TDI
Syntrax is not a full synthetic, I almost got caught on it, too

You can get synthetic Castrol TAF-X made to G50 specification from any "Real" supermarket in Germany,
but they probably sell it in Netherlands, too

Hope this helps

TDI-passat

TDI
Thanks guys! I'll see what I can get here. It's defenately not sold at a supermarket here! Perhaps a autoshop. I'll let you know what I will use and how it holding in this hot weather!

Octavian

Veteran Member
TDI
Syntrax is not a full synthetic, I almost got caught on it, too

You can get synthetic Castrol TAF-X made to G50 specification from any "Real" supermarket in Germany,
but they probably sell it in Netherlands, too

Hope this helps

Update and WARNING: TAF-X was fine for a week and then resulted in my gearbox developing a humming noise when wheels at full lock to the left and reversing, and also in 4th gear.

I have now ordered original VW G 005 100 A1 that is supposed to fix this problem (do a search on forums for gearbox oil and spider gear)

Pity, because TAF-X says VW501.50 compliant, too bad they did not mention the noise

TDI-passat

TDI
changing gearbox oil/ gearbox without a bottom??!!

Unfortunately most of the oils mentioned here are hard to get or even inpossible to get down here!
This afternoon I filled the gear box with Kroon SP1011 full syntetic 75W90.
Only the gear box doesn't seem to have a bottom!!! In the instructions it says: 2,25 liters of oil (0.59 US gallons), but I've stopped at 2,5 ltr. (0.66 US gallons) and the thing is still not full!
I let almost THREE liters out (0.79 US gallons) There are supposed to be not more than 2,25 ltr. in there!
One year ago I topped the gear oil of as instructed in the manual until it flows over in the filling plug so it should have been at level.
Should I keep on filling until the oil reaches the bottom of the fill plug? Or should I stop at 2,5 ltr.?
Please what is your experience?

Octavian

Veteran Member
TDI

Unfortunately most of the oils mentioned here are hard to get or even inpossible to get down here!
This afternoon I filled the gear box with Kroon SP1011 full syntetic 75W90.
Only the gear box doesn't seem to have a bottom!!! In the instructions it says: 2,25 liters of oil (0.59 US gallons), but I've stopped at 2,5 ltr. (0.66 US gallons) and the thing is still not full!
I let almost THREE liters out (0.79 US gallons) There are supposed to be not more than 2,25 ltr. in there!
One year ago I topped the gear oil of as instructed in the manual until it flows over in the filling plug so it should have been at level.
Should I keep on filling until the oil reaches the bottom of the fill plug? Or should I stop at 2,5 ltr.?
First of all, replace the drain plug

But seriously, if your car is not level, e.g on ramps or jack stands, it will take more oil. This is actually good for better protection of 5th gear, just make sure all the excess goes out the fill plug, as excessive overfilling wears out the oil seals after a while.

Alternatively, you can get the car off ramps now, and mop up the spill underneath

Hope this helps

TDI-passat

TDI

Octavian, many thanks for the technical advise! Looking for a mop right now!

But serious: The car is perfect level! Specailly when getting the oil out (I tried to get every drop out (seem to have worked anyway!)) The car was in the same level floor when I filled the gear box. The question is now: should I keep on filling until there is enough oil in or should I stop at the perscribed amount?

Darren_J

Veteran Member
TDI
MK 4 TDI

So how did you make out? Just playing Devil's advocate so please don't be offended, but are you ABSOLUTELY SURE that it's the gearbox your filling and not the clutch housing? It's happened here a few times before.

TDI-passat

TDI

Hey Darren, nice waring!
I understand your concern, and I thank you for that! No, it wasn't the clutch housing.

I contacted the dealer and they told me they never check the anoumt of oil going in, just fill it up until it flows over. And that's just what I did. I'm sure there is enough oil in the gear box and it moves fine. Hopefully the 'singing' noise is gone in hot weather.

Octavian

Veteran Member
TDI

Hi, just a question, how are your 1st and 2nd gear shifts on a cold engine/gearbox?

Just curious, because after my oil change the first 3-4 shifts into 1st and 2nd are a bit gritty, and then every shift is as smooth as it can be, so I am wondering...

Frank M

BANNED
TDI
NB
There is nothing on the market that can compare to the OEM transaxle lube.

It and the transaxle were made for each other. There is nothing to gain by switching.

More lubricity gives you slippery syncros and clashing gears. Clashing gear give you worn syncros and gears. Not cheap to fix.

Supposedly better viscosity is not possible. The clearances and orfices that the transaxle has in its design are in harmony with OEM lube.

Frank M

BANNED
TDI
NB
bowlerman said:
i use mobil 1 synthetic and it shifts better than it ever did with vw oem crap.
The OEM is not crap, it is highly engineered in concert with our transaxles.

I have been the Mobil 1 route and it was great, so I thought.

It is definitly no good in colder climates.

Mobil stated to me via email "do not use Mobil 1 in my 00 transaxle" (do a search)
I think they and VW may know best..

dieseldorf

Top Post Dawg
TDI
ex- 1996 wagon, ex-2000 Jetta
Frank M said:
There is nothing on the market that can compare to the OEM transaxle lube.
There is nothing to gain by switching.

More lubricity gives you slippery syncros and clashing gears. Clashing gear give you worn syncros and gears. Not cheap to fix.
Frank's 110% correct with his statements aboubt the OE gear lube for people operating in 4 season climates. The OE G50 is the best all around gear lube.

I have "experimented" 4 or 5 different gear lubes and have finally realized the OE product is the best. My days of experimenting with gear lube are over.

IMPEX has the OE gear lube for ~$16.50/Litre.

dieseldorf

Top Post Dawg
TDI
ex- 1996 wagon, ex-2000 Jetta
Frank, here's what I see when I put that G52 P/N in:

...it would be interesting to see if there is a TSB available addressing compatibility...

Frank M

BANNED
TDI
NB
dieseldorf said:
Frank, here's what I see when I put that G52 P/N in:

...it would be interesting to see if there is a TSB available addressing compatibility...
I would believe that this lube is used in the Tiptronic final drive only. Same application as the manual.