For Sale 04 Jetta Wagon TDI GLS 1.9 New Jersey 07481

NY-TDI

TDI
2004 Jetta GSL 1.9(BEW)
Hello, AFter much deliberation, I am selling the deisel and bought a used hybrid.

https://newjersey.craigslist.org/cto/d/wyckoff-2004-vw-jetta-wagon-tdi-gsl-bew/7054834259.html

Pics and description on CL link above. 213,160 miles. Factory Monsoon sound (better than my newer hybrid...good for you!) FM/AM single CD/Casette. Leather heated seats (driver needs part for movement, I'm 5'6 and it's set well for me). Heat & AC work great. 40/60 rear seat split. Front arm rest w/storage. Moon roof (needs inner switch). roof racks. Recently replaced new alternator, battery, starter, serpentine belt. The clutch, timing belt, water pump, cam shaft & injectors were done at 175K. I'm told it needs brakes soon, no noise and work fine. I have new pads you can have (Akebono), but not installed yet. Intermittent check engine light P0299-Turbo Boost Pressure. I've had this BEW's actuator wire repaired and the power of the car has been good. Tires fair. Should replace soon. Minor rust on front fender and outer cross bar shown in photo. This car starts every day and keeps on keepin on! I can't keep both, after purchasing the hybrid and am pricing to sell. I still have it on the road & need to transfer the plates though I can keep it in my mother's driveway for a bit if needed. I believe $1800.00 is a fair price as the new parts alone are 1k+. Has a functioning cargo shield in back, and working 12 volt outlet back and front too.

I am posting here b/c I've been told many times since purchasing this car in 2017 that it is highly desirable, so 1. if I can get a bit of return on my $ and 2. if someone else can make use of it for the life it still has in it. I've heard these engines can go for 300-500K if properly cared for. I also have oil change and other work receipts from work I've done. Previous owner was a VW mechanic who bought a larger van for his wife & 3 kids. He bought it used too, so am not sure of it's hx before. VIN# on CL. Title appears to be clean.

I'm interested to know here on the forum what some of the experts think about the price. Of course it seems highly variable and depends on if you can do the work yourself.

$1800.00 asking. I'd love to see the car appreciated & used. Take care and good luck to us all !!

Last edited:
TDI
2004 jetta wagon,2004 jetta,1999.5 beetle
re diesel for sale

i would buy the car & spend the time on it but
imo, after looking at posts & pics of car for me anyway it’s a most likely many many hour project car . being in no/ny area with salted roads there is clearly gonna be cutting out of rust & making repairs to wheel wells , fenders & if it’s most likely like all the other mk4 jettas with the factory rubber plugs in the floor drying out ,cracking or falling out . most likely the floor has some rust repair needed too.
when you get into the turbo fault codes if it needs an actuator & you decide not to replace whole turbo for over a grand in cost alone , you have the big question of will you be able to get to turbo apart to change the actuator part itself ??

don’t get me wrong, for the backyard guy who wants to play it’s a great project but a probably expensive & time consuming one even for a skilled tdi guy.
for me i’d buy it for intentions to use it for parts & hope i could salvage it . with the rust & without seeing just how bad the rust actually is it’s long shot

NY-TDI

TDI
2004 Jetta GSL 1.9(BEW)
Hi. The actuator has been taken out and tested. A wire was loose and repaired. A rebuilt turbo can be purchased for less than half the price of a new.. Or you could clean out the current turbo. I bet that would be fun to see how many more miles you could get from the current. The power has been good. It starts up every day and runs all over the place. I hear you about the rust. Perhaps a simple shell replacement? I agree, unless you are independently wealthy and just playing, you'd want to evaluate it for yourself certainly!

Where are you located?

Thanks for your interest and reply.