New 2015 Passat With Fender Audio

mirage2521

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Jetta, 2013 JSW, 2015 PASSAT SEL
Just wanted to drop in and say hi, may ask a question or two. With much regret I am turning in my 2010 Jetta with 305,000 flawless miles. Its been the best most reliable car I have ever owned. On Friday I bought a 2015 TDI Passat SEL Premium. I've just finished a 1000 mile road trip and my initial impressions are the "the fix" really sucked the HP and torque out of it. So much less pep than the 2010.

Besides that overall it seems ok. I hate that I cannot get under seat drawers. The Passat is way quieter on the highway than my 2010 Jetta or my 2013 JSW. Quiet is nice. :)

My biggest complaint is the "premium" Fender audio system. What an incredible disappointment. Has anyone had any luck making improvements on this thing? On my Jettas I replaced the OEM speakers with some Alpines and added a small powered sub woofer and the systems produce sound quality far superior to this Fender. Anyone tried anything short of ripping the whole thing out and replacing it?

Jetta_Pilot

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Passat Highline TDI Candy White (SEL Premium) long gone 2002 Jetta TDI
I like the Fender system in my Passat.
But then I'm not the guy next to you on the road blowing out his and my eardrums !!!:rolleyes:

tomo366

TDI Lifer, Member #68
TDI
2015 Jetta SEL TDI
My 2015 Jetta is better after the Fix!! love it power is better MPG is better
Love my Fender system.....The passat is bigger and Heavier but I dont think it would be as you described!

rustycat

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 passat sel
Clarity
Bass
Vocal Presence
Volume
Accuracy
Separation
Did I mention clarity?

I don't believe there is a simple substitution that is labor or cost reasonable. There have been some serious upgrades by some members in the past, but, really were not cheap in terms of labor and cost of components/speakers. I've just come to accept that the system is what it is and to just live with it.

i do think I remember a Focal speaker upgrade that looked interesting, but certainly not compelling to me.

Last edited:

tomo366

TDI Lifer, Member #68
TDI
2015 Jetta SEL TDI
I don't believe there is a simple substitution that is labor or cost reasonable. There have been some serious upgrades by some members in the past, but, really were not cheap in terms of labor and cost of components/speakers. I've just come to accept that the system is what it is and to just live with it.

i do think I remember a Focal speaker upgrade that looked interesting, but certainly not compelling to me.
agreed....a factory system can never replace a high end after market system which would be very expensive

rustycat

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 passat sel
agreed....a factory system can never replace a high end after market system which would be very expensive
I will comment that I did hear a Mark Levinson(a fellow I really don't like much),so this comment is made inspite of my feelings for Mr. Levinson, stock system in a Lexus that impressed me.

mirage2521

Veteran Member
TDI
My 2015 Jetta is better after the Fix!! love it power is better MPG is better
Love my Fender system.....The passat is bigger and Heavier but I dont think it would be as you described!

I have definitely got the MPGs. Better than either of my Jettas but the TDI ZZZZZZZIp just isn't there.

mirage2521

Veteran Member
TDI

I am certainly no expert. I have finally spoken with my go-to installation tech and his suggestion is to start with this http://www.bestbuy.com/site/alpine-...grated-250w-amp-black/5210500.p?skuId=5210500

Allowing us to greatly reduce the bass levels on the Fender system thereby opening the sound up for the mids and the highs to be turned up with out the lows muffling it. Its similar to the first step we took on my Jetta and this amp plus some Alpine speakers made that little stack system rock!

tadawson

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat TDI SEL, 2015 Passat TDI SEL
Clarity
Bass
Vocal Presence
Volume
Accuracy
Separation
Did I mention clarity?
Hmmm . . . about all I can agree with is Bass . . . most auto systems are just mush, and not solid inthe low end at all. Vocal/volume/sep, no problems here, and clarity is decent with some eq (stock is tubby). Volume is far more than I need, and trust me, I like loud . . . my stage system is over 12,000 watts . . .

Perhaps you have blown something up? Gotta admit, though, I'd love a true graphic eq, and not the 3 band crap . . .

But hey, at least it's not Bose . . . Based on numerous systems I have heard, *THAT* is the poster child for "sucks" . . .

rustycat

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 passat sel
I am certainly no expert. I have finally spoken with my go-to installation tech and his suggestion is to start with this http://www.bestbuy.com/site/alpine-...grated-250w-amp-black/5210500.p?skuId=5210500

Allowing us to greatly reduce the bass levels on the Fender system thereby opening the sound up for the mids and the highs to be turned up with out the lows muffling it. Its similar to the first step we took on my Jetta and this amp plus some Alpine speakers made that little stack system rock!
Keep us posted on the install and listening impressions. Good audio is unmistakeable in a car--or anywhere for that matter.

Mixchump

TDI
2003 Jetta Wagon 1.9L TDI - 5-Spd Manual, 2015 Passat 2L TDI 6-spd Manual
My biggest complaint is the "premium" Fender audio system. What an incredible disappointment. Has anyone had any luck making improvements on this thing? On my Jettas I replaced the OEM speakers with some Alpines and added a small powered sub woofer and the systems produce sound quality far superior to this Fender. Anyone tried anything short of ripping the whole thing out and replacing it?
Yeah, I feel your pain. I just went from a 2012 Passat TDI (Trendline-Plus with DSG) to a 2015 Passat TDI (Comfortline 'Sport' 6M) and I couldn't have believed that the audio system in the 2015 could be WORSE than the 2012 (which was already terrible) but it is.

Just for context, I'm an award-winning recording engineer / producer up here in Canada so I fully admit that my standards may be a bit higher than most, but my 2003 Jetta TDI Wagon had a really terrific factory audio system, and I was shocked at how bad the 2012 Passat was. I kept thinking that I'd upgrade the head unit, etc., but never got around to it.

This time around, I absolutely HAVE to make a move. It's like listening to a 90's MP3 file all the time. I can't imagine what lengths they went to do destroy the audio this badly, especially considering audio is inherently simple, if you use decent components and DSP.

Anyhow, Just felt the need to corroborate your findings, and I'm on a similar quest now.

I've been looking at the top-of-the-line Alpine unit (with Apple CarPlay), and I think that's where I'll end up.

If I get around to it in the next while, I'll post my results...

tadawson

Veteran Member
TDI
Sadly, I think the younger crowd (and those that actually regard (c)Rap as music) are driving the overall voicings . . . loose flabby bass that swamps a lot of other things, etc. I find the Fender, ironically, better than most OEM auto systems, and light years past anything Bose . . . One day, I'll throw my SMAART rig in the car and read it, but not much motivation, since the ability to tweak is minimal . . . as we bothnhave noted, with DSP on board, very few uses for such a pathetic control set . . .

Oh, and I avoid mp3 pretty much categorically . . . . unless I do my own lossless rips, they are missing too much for me - the differences are blatantly audible against a CD or other lossless source. (And don't get me started on the massive high freq rolloff in satellite . . . almost unlistenable . . . ). So, considering the source issues, the auto system is only part of the picture to me.

Last edited:

mirage2521

Veteran Member
TDI
Yeah, I feel your pain. I just went from a 2012 Passat TDI (Trendline-Plus with DSG) to a 2015 Passat TDI (Comfortline 'Sport' 6M) and I couldn't have believed that the audio system in the 2015 could be WORSE than the 2012 (which was already terrible) but it is.

Just for context, I'm an award-winning recording engineer / producer up here in Canada so I fully admit that my standards may be a bit higher than most, but my 2003 Jetta TDI Wagon had a really terrific factory audio system, and I was shocked at how bad the 2012 Passat was. I kept thinking that I'd upgrade the head unit, etc., but never got around to it.

This time around, I absolutely HAVE to make a move. It's like listening to a 90's MP3 file all the time. I can't imagine what lengths they went to do destroy the audio this badly, especially considering audio is inherently simple, if you use decent components and DSP.

Anyhow, Just felt the need to corroborate your findings, and I'm on a similar quest now.

I've been looking at the top-of-the-line Alpine unit (with Apple CarPlay), and I think that's where I'll end up.

If I get around to it in the next while, I'll post my results...
I'm going the route my tech guy recommends for now.

Step 1. A small Alpine sub in the trunk tweak the treble and mid, reducing bass to minimum.

If that doesn't get it...
Step 2. Install some crossovers on the Fender dual voice coil speakers

If that doesn't get it,
Step 3. Replace the Fender speakers

Step 4. Rip the whole thing out.

rustycat

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 passat sel
It sounds good on paper but then so did the Fender.

Perhaps, but Dynaudio has a serious and highly respected reputation for building speakers. Fender really doesn't do speakers, pretty much just guitars and guitar amps. It was simply a marketing ploy that was all buckle and no cattle.
Sort of like Fiat making a racy "Abarth" model and using a muffler manufacturer's name as the touted nameplate.

tadawson

Veteran Member
TDI
I'm going the route my tech guy recommends for now.

Step 1. A small Alpine sub in the trunk tweak the treble and mid, reducing bass to minimum.

If that doesn't get it...
Step 2. Install some crossovers on the Fender dual voice coil speakers

If that doesn't get it,
Step 3. Replace the Fender speakers

Step 4. Rip the whole thing out.
Sorry, but what is replacing the sub in the trunk with another sub in the trunk intended to accomplish? I would think (if anyone makes anything suitable) than a line level eq inserted into the system would do the trick as well . . .

Jetta_Pilot

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Passat Highline TDI Candy White (SEL Premium) long gone 2002 Jetta TDI
Sadly, I think the younger crowd (and those that actually regard (c)Rap as music) are driving the overall voicings . . .
I totally agree with you in that C.RAP is far removed from music !!!:eek:

rustycat

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 passat sel
Sorry, but what is replacing the sub in the trunk with another sub in the trunk intended to accomplish? I would think (if anyone makes anything suitable) than a line level eq inserted into the system would do the trick as well . . .
I must admit, I had the same reaction.

mirage2521

Veteran Member
TDI

I'm not even sure I want to attempt to answer you. Do you understand the difference in replacing a 258cid 6cyl in a CJ7 with a built small block 350cid? Have you actually listened to one of these Fender systems?

The sound tech and myself by the way are of the mindset that the Fender sub is of VERY low quality and anything would be an improvement over it. If the entire Fender system sounds as crappy as it does I cant imagine that any single component is of much quality.

Last edited:

mirage2521

Veteran Member
TDI
I'm actually beginning to suspect that something is wrong with it. There is simply no way sound quality this low could be considered "Premium"

rustycat

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 passat sel
I'm not even sure I want to attempt to answer you. Do you understand the difference in replacing a 258cid 6cyl in a CJ7 with a built small block 350cid? Have you actually listened to one of these Fender systems?

The sound tech and myself by the way are of the mindset that the Fender sub is of VERY low quality and anything would be an improvement over it. If the entire Fender system sounds as crappy as it does I cant imagine that any single component is of much quality.
I agree the speakers are crap. Since speakers are the last link in the chain and what the sound comes out of, I consider them to be of significant importance-- certainly of more importantance than the head unit, although in a well-designed application they would be very complimentary to each other. That being said, I listen in the midrange, in fact. my hf hearing peters out at around 7khz and I view bass as needed, but I really don't give it a fraction of the importance that I give the mid range. Hence, my puzzlement at you and your 'tech's' zeroing in on the sub.
OTOH, if you listen to Taiko Drums, then I get your thinking.

rustycat

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 passat sel
I'm actually beginning to suspect that something is wrong with it. There is simply no way sound quality this low could be considered "Premium"
Perhaps the first step would be to carry a demo CD to the Dealership and ask to play it in another 15 SEL for comparison.

rustycat

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 passat sel
Perhaps the first step would be to carry a demo CD to the Dealership and ask to play it in another 15 SEL for comparison.

BTW, I emailed Dynaudio and inquired if the new speakers for the B8 would be a swap for the door speakers in the B7. If they respond and indicate that would be something that could work, I'll post their response.

tadawson

Veteran Member
TDI

I own two (2013 Passat SEL and 2015 Passat SEL), and also actively work in the pro audio world. It's tubby, but I am not convinced that that is due to the components as compared to a by-design voicing/eq problem. It's not like a car trunk is a well designed, tuned, or ported enclosure . . . As I said, one day I'll get bored and profile it with SMAART, but short of that, everything else is a variation on a guess . . . And since we all hear things a bit differently, I was curious . . . and to your initial question, the 258 vs. 350 in the CJ7 depends on your expectations and needs. For many, it may accomplish nothing other than getting to the scene of the rollover accident faster . . . or may be imperceptible to those with a light foot . . . there is no single, obvious answer, so I ask . . .

And you may be right and have a problem or defect. I feel I have a pretty critical ear, and while it isn't stellar, I really don't feel that mine are that bad (and I can typically tune systems pretty close by ear . . . but also have analysis tools . . .).

I do recall someone speculating (not sure if it was ever proven) that on his car, speakers had been installed with the polarity inverted, thus resulting in vague imaging . . . something to consider as well . . .

Last edited: