My smug sense of wellbeing has been wrecked

New Mickey

The user formerly known as mickey
TDI
2015 Passat
I KNEW it was too good to be true! The dealer called me and let me know that they accidentally sold me a 2015 Passat TDI that hadn't been retrofitted yet. But for a few hundred miles I got to enjoy the most evil vehicle since German cattle cars.

Oh well.

So it's back at the dealer waiting for parts to make it politically correct and socially responsible. What, exactly, does that entail? The Passat already has urea injection. What other hardware is involved? What kind of performance and mileage penalty can I expect?

-mickey

New Mickey

TDI
2015 Passat
Meanwhile I get a 2017 1.8T loaner, which is pretty nifty in its own right and gets better fuel economy than it has a right to.

-mickey

Jetta_Pilot

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Passat Highline TDI Candy White (SEL Premium) long gone 2002 Jetta TDI
Meanwhile I get a 2017 1.8T loaner, which is pretty nifty in its own right and gets better fuel economy than it has a right to. -mickey
The "Fuel economy" goes out the window with the cost of premium gas !:eek:

Rico567

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2013 Passat TDI SEL Premium (Turned in 7/7/18)
From Daily Drive:

"More good news: Volkswagen recommends regular-grade gas for all models equipped with the 1.8-liter engine."*

*Referring to the 1.8 TSI.

Locoelectrician

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Passat TDI SEL, 2015 Golf SEL Sportwagen, 2005 Jetta TDI, John Deere 355D
I KNEW it was too good to be true! The dealer called me and let me know that they accidentally sold me a 2015 Passat TDI that hadn't been retrofitted yet. But for a few hundred miles I got to enjoy the most evil vehicle since German cattle cars.
Oh well.
So it's back at the dealer waiting for parts to make it politically correct and socially responsible. What, exactly, does that entail? The Passat already has urea injection. What other hardware is involved? What kind of performance and mileage penalty can I expect?
-mickey
It is a software update only. 2 big differences I saw were DSG behavior (improved) and slightly louder engine noise on highway. As for MPG, I had a 2013 before and it's better, but that was a completely different engine.

tadawson

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat TDI SEL, 2015 Passat TDI SEL
The only parts changed are filters, and that's just the prep for sale, and has absolutely nothing to do with the fix. Check under the hood for the sticker - maybe they did flash it, and if so, you would be in your rights to tell them to pound sand . . . it's legal.

New Mickey

TDI
2015 Passat
The cost of diesel isn't exactly a selling point.

My F-150 Ecoboost ran on regular, but I paid premium price for alcohol-free fuel. I don't worry too much about the price of a gallon. I try to use as few gallons as I can. At 45+ mpg it's not much of an issue. (Or even at 23 mpg in a huge crew cab 4x4.)

-mickey

jrm

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat SE with nav (totaled)
Diesel should be less, here unleaded is $2.49 and diesel is $2.34

rotarykid

Top Post Dawg
Piedmont of N.C. & the plains of Colorado
TDI
1997 Passat TDI White,99.5 Blue Jetta TDI
The cost of diesel isn't exactly a selling point.
My F-150 Ecoboost ran on regular, but I paid premium price for alcohol-free fuel. I don't worry too much about the price of a gallon. I try to use as few gallons as I can. At 45+ mpg it's not much of an issue. (Or even at 23 mpg in a huge crew cab 4x4.)
-mickey
...when I was in CA a few weeks back pretty much everywhere outside of overcrowded crazy with toooooo many people in small areas SF Bay region & S Cal(orange, san bernardino & L A counties) areas D2 was as much as ~0.20-0.30 a gal cheaper....I could never live like that!!

Once I got into NV & UT that reversed to fuel being more expensive than RUG...

In CO right now RUG & D2 are pretty much at parity ~2.20-2.35 for both....

Rico567

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2013 Passat TDI SEL Premium (Turned in 7/7/18)
Diesel should be less, here unleaded is $2.49 and diesel is $2.34

There is no "should." There is a thread tracking the price of fuel, and it can be all over the place, depending on where you live, and the prices of diesel and RUG chase one another. We take a regular weekly 100 mile road trip, and I can track a 50 cent per gallon difference in D2 over that short distance. Last week I saw a high of $2.39 at a rural BP, and a low of $1.93 at a Mobil. The price is what it is.
Personally, we buy at the same local high-volume station, so that the fuel is more a known quantity and I can track it, since I keep all receipts. Been paying $2.19 there for D2 since April.

r11

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Passat TDI SE 6MT (BB'd), 2015 Passat TDI SE 6MT
Mickey, assuming u somehow managed to get the title, that mishap can prolly be worked in your favor :) - as in becoming a fixer and collecting $6K+. But it will take ballz of brass.

My understanding is that VW wont release the title till dealer proves to them, 101%, that Phase I has been applied.

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Passat SEL, 2017 Alltrack SE; BB 2010 Sedan Man; 2012 Passat,

Gen3 TSI was designed from the get go to run on 87 octane, unless you chip it and track it you're wasting your money feeding it premium.

ezshift5

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 JSW TDI (Enroute BB).......2017 Jetta 1.4 turbo 5M ....................
Gen3 TSI was designed from the get go to run on 87 octane, unless you chip it and track it you're wasting your money feeding it premium.
Altho the TDI JSW 6M awaiting buyback - in several areas - is superior to my 1.8 TSI 5M GSW possible replacement:

:)It does look a lot like my wagen. It has the space spatial appeal/efficiency.

:)It comes with a new car warranty.

:)I'll have $$$$ left over for lots of Crown Royal.

For this sailor, the sun is beginning to rise...................

ez

KERMA

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
99 beetle and 04 jetta
ho Mickey!!!

You need to let me tune that one.

Evil beetle still going strong.

N4TECguy

Veteran Member
TDI
NMS Passat TDI 6MT
Volkswagen explicitly notes that the power figures advertised are achieved with premium fuel. That doesn't mean it won't run on 87, but it does mean it can run better on 91/93...

Last edited:

New Mickey

TDI
2015 Passat
ho Mickey!!!

You need to let me tune that one.

Evil beetle still going strong.
The Evil Beetle will never die.

I don't plan to soup this one up. I'm too old and tired. But for sure I'm going to want the DSG remapped. And whatever they do to it with Phase 2 I plan to undo.

I drove from Evanston to Tooele this evening and got 57.1 mpg. 65 to 80 mph all the way. (Granted, I also lost 2300 feet of elevation. But still....I refuse to give up a single MPG just to prevent people from choking to death on smog. MAN UP, I say. I grew up on smog, and look at me!)

-mickey

New Mickey

TDI
2015 Passat
From Daily Drive:
"More good news: Volkswagen recommends regular-grade gas for all models equipped with the 1.8-liter engine."*
*Referring to the 1.8 TSI.
Most engines these days run fine on regular, but prefer premium. However, I don't think the increase in fuel economy comes close to making up for the price. I run whatever makes the engine happiest and don't worry about the cost. (I tend not to worry about what I can't control.)

The alcohol-free stuff I can buy locally is "mid-grade." I use it because I have a fundamental issue with burning FOOD in my car while people are starving to death. That's the ultimate Ugly American middle-finger if you ask me. "We're so well fed we just BURN the corn to drive to the post office. How are those grasshoppers tasting for you?"

-mickey

VeeDubTDI

Wanderluster, Traveler, TDIClub Enthusiast
TDI
‘18 Tesla Model 3D+, ‘14 Cadillac ELR, ‘13 Fiat 500e
The Evil Beetle will never die.
I don't plan to soup this one up. I'm too old and tired. But for sure I'm going to want the DSG remapped. And whatever they do to it with Phase 2 I plan to undo.
I drove from Evanston to Tooele this evening and got 57.1 mpg. 65 to 80 mph all the way. (Granted, I also lost 2300 feet of elevation. But still....I refuse to give up a single MPG just to prevent people from choking to death on smog. MAN UP, I say. I grew up on smog, and look at me!)
-mickey
LOL @ man-up to smog. :rolleyes:

New Mickey

TDI
2015 Passat
LOL @ man-up to smog. :rolleyes:
True story: In 2005 when I went to Russia to start the Kid Adoption process we were driving into Moscow from Sheremetyevo airport and my eyes were watering from the air quality. It was actually painful to breathe. And it stunk. But I was struck by an odd sense of deja vu. Then it hit me: That's what MY town smelled like when I was a kid in the late 60s and early 70s. The smell of CARS with no smog controls.

I'm no believer in "global warming" (believe me) but the NOx is real.

Nevertheless....do as I say, not as I do.

-mickey