Which turbo?

ToxicDoc

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Jetta, S7, .216
been lurking a long time, just registered so I can ask specific questions. So hello everyone.

I have a well-maintained 2001 Jetta 5 spd. My car is a daily driver. It has Malone stage 1 tune, new LUK DMF clutch, and .700 5th gear (it's really nice). I need a turbo, stock one has a failing seal.

I'm already planning to get DLC520 injectors, a PD150 intake, and a larger downpipe.

I'd like a little more power and mileage, and no smoke (a little on hard acceleration is alright). I'm looking at the VNT17, a 17 in the 15 housing to make plumbing cheaper, the BV39, or one of the 17 hybrids (17/22 etc). Some of the information out there is a little conflicting, or incomplete, eg this turbo is laggy, this one can get boost creep, etc.

Darkside's chart lists the 17/22 as having more lag than the 17 even though it's supposed benefit is reduced lag, no? I'm looking here:
https://www.darksidedevelopments.co.uk/products/darkside-gtb-turbo-kit-for-1-9-8v-tdi-engines.html

Which, if any, of these turbos might give me similar spool up to stock (or at least have the lowest lag of the group) with a little more boost? Advice please. thanks :)

h4vok

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta TDi 5sp 171k
I would say the VNT17 probably what you want. Keep the fuel/boost in check and you shouldn't have to upgrade the clutch too. I have heard good things about the Mahle VNT15 too if you go down the stock path. The luk is not going to hold up to anything more than DLC520 and VNT17 on a slightly conservative tune so not sure about larger turbos.

ToxicDoc

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Jetta, S7, .216
I'm not looking for massive power, more so efficiency - most power for least fuel. I want this to be a comfortable daily driver with a little extra power. I got the clutch really cheap at IDparts, so if it doesn't hold it's a minimal cost.

I am leaning towards the 17, but what do you understand of the 17 in a 15 housing? any reputable builders of this turbo?

Yourbuddysatin

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Jetta tdi
I am leaning towards the 17, but what do you understand of the 17 in a 15 housing? any reputable builders of this turbo?[/QUOTE]

I am running a vnt 17 in a 15 housing. Bought it from blaast up in Canada. Their rep isn’t too good but so far so good with mine.

ToxicDoc

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Jetta, S7, .216
I am leaning towards the 17, but what do you understand of the 17 in a 15 housing? any reputable builders of this turbo?

I am running a vnt 17 in a 15 housing. Bought it from blaast up in Canada. Their rep isn’t too good but so far so good with mine.
How long/many miles have you had yours? I saw their offerings and come across mixed reviews too.

Yourbuddysatin

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Jetta tdi
Right now I’d say about 12k. The guy cut the egr port off and welded it shut. I got the billet wheel too. I think the turbo performs well. I also changed over to a stainless oil feed line. I made it myself though.

bobbiemartin

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Tiguan TDI 4Motion, Jeep Grand Cherokee 3.0 CRD
You could probably achieve your goal with any of those turbos. I would think the VNT15 would be fine or the 17 if you want a bit more power. However, my suggestion is to contact your tuner. Tell them what you have and what your goals are. They will be more than happy to suggest a complete package to deliver the results you are looking for. I've had several TDIs with the VNT15/520 combo and that makes a nice street car, good power and economy. My current car has VNT17/764 and I really like it. Depends on what you want. If you are buying the turbo and injectors at the same time, it makes since to get a package that complements each other and your tuner can get everything to work together.

h4vok

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta TDi 5sp 171k
I would stick with either the vnt15 or vnt17. I would not mess with hybrids, but that is just me. You are going to see the biggest power increase from the nozzles anyways. Opening up the exhaust, bigger nozzles and a tune are going to be the things that effect the power and econ the most. The turbo just determines how much fuel you can burn at WOT.

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
I'd stick with a VNT-15 and get a stronger tune. I have a VNT-15 on my wagon with the same breathing mods you're planning, and PP357s with an 11mm pump and lift pump. RC3+, which is a 19.5 PSI tune. Car makes about 140/260 at the wheels, every tank is over 700 miles, no smoke. I've been running this setup with the Mahle VNT-15 for the last 70K with absolutely no issues.

TDIMeister

Phd of TDIClub Enthusiast, Moderator at Large
TDI
TDI
A turbo P/N that comes straight from the Garrett factory will almost always be better than an aftermarket Frankenstein unit for the vast majority of applications and purposes. Stick to a 17 if you're averse to anything apart from totally plug and play.

Nevada_TDI

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 Jetta TDI
There are many great things to say about the vnt15/17 hybrid turbo; more precisely the vnt17 compressor wheel in a vnt15: it doesn't have the lag of the "standard" 17 on an un-tuned car as the A/R is better with a vnt15 cold side and the vnt17 compressor wheel. Theoretically speaking with the turbo shaft spinning at a given RPM there are more pounds of air being produced than the vnt15 would be making at the same speed.
There are many shops making hybrids as well as the plug-and-play vnt units; I would say the best price for a vnt15/17 hybrid comes from Dutch Auto Parts and their prices include shipping. If you are not wanting to make a high HP monster and not run anymore than 24 PSI of boost the vnt15/17 turbo is a good choice.
My 17/56 has a vnt15 cold side and turbo lag is a non-issue even at 4600' elevation.

Last edited:

flee

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Jetta GLS wagon
With your choice of DLC520 nozzles the new VNT-15 will give you all the air you need.