Engine swap?

teberhard

TDI
98 jetta tdi
I have a 98 jetta tdi and the body is completely rusted out. I think it would be easier to swap engine and tranny then to repair the body. Owned it since new so mechanically its sound. What year vw will my engine fit? Does it have to be a diesel or will it fit a gaser?

yatzee

Top Post Dawg
TDI
see sig
you could swap it into a gasser, but considering almost all the MK3's have rusted badly, i'm not sure if you're going to be any further ahead.

G60ING

Top Post Dawg
TDI
No TDIs Currently, I have an R36 Corrado. I've had an ALH Corrado swap, AHU Corrado swap and 2003 TDI Jetta
I've seen lots about MK3s rusting but this is the first report of a rusted Mk3 that I've seen from NC. You must be on the western part of the state.

Swapping wouldn't be that bad. You might want to look for a good donor from the southern states if you do take on the challenge. I'd suggest that you do a golf that way if you choose to sell it you will have the rarity factor in your favor and this will help the resale value.

teberhard

TDI
98 jetta tdi
I am originally from NY state so that's where the body took most of its damage and now I am in the nc mountains.

So are the engine mounts on the gas versions the same as the tdi? I know I'll have to switch out all the electrical but I don't really want to mess with have to rework the mounts.

G60ING

Top Post Dawg
TDI
No TDIs Currently, I have an R36 Corrado. I've had an ALH Corrado swap, AHU Corrado swap and 2003 TDI Jetta
yes the the mounting points are the same as the gas engines.

teberhard

TDI
98 jetta tdi
Looking at a 97 jetta with 2.0 gas and auto tranny. Would this be a feasible transplant? What kind of work am I looking at to switch electric and stick shift?

G60ING

Top Post Dawg
TDI
You need to review the swaps that others have done in mk3 to mk3 cars. Take a look at the cabrio swap/s as they are identical to a 2L Jetta or 2L golf.

I personally think the VR6 cars are easier (already a cable shift and hydraulic clutch) to swap into and have some nicer features like bigger brakes, better suspension, 5 lug and more creature comforts. Plus the Vr6 drivetrain parts will allow you to recoup the extra money spent on the donor shell.

Try using www.searchtempest.com to locate a VW below your max price threshold. I like to open the range up to well beyond my reasonable range just so I don't leave any doubts in my mind of what the next good deal was.

dilumari

TDI
96 Passat TDI
To add to rarity, you can swap it into a MK3 GTI VR6. It has been something I want to do once I find a clean shell. Right now, the TDI is in a less rusty Jetta Wolfsburg. The only thing I would worry about is the gas tank. Everything else should just bolt in. However, clean GTI are hard to find.

As for the swap, if you are good and have friends to help, you can get it done really quick! Good luck!

fuslit

Veteran Member
TDI
'98 tdi GLX (mine) 00 tdi golf (the wifes)
I just did this swap on mine (with some upgrades along the way which caused probably more pain than I realized at the time) the biggest issue will be the engine harness swap, just label everything when you take it out and take alot of pics.

you need the gastank, fuel lines, engine harness (all the way back to the fuse block), cluster to fuse block harness, etc.

http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=289897

It's pretty straight forward, everything (assuming it's stock) will bolt up with minimal difficulty.

-T