VW Rejecting Non-Clean Titles?

gtmule

TDI
Passat, Jetta, Passat
This seems confusing to me, wouldn't a substantial change to the consent decree require the judges approval?
Why now, after months on the back burner is he thinking there will be a resolution within 30 days?
He doesn't, it's the same line he told me in July....

GolfTDISA

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 VW Passat tdi
I think like I mentioned before very good indication when something will be decided would be Judges calendar, and so far I do not see anything scheduled for the months of January nore February I trust that moreover than council that blows smoke until now..

jeffcapp99

Veteran Member
TDI
Audi Q7 TDI & VW Passat TDI
I just do not know what to think. This is what he told me. He said the CRC will issue guidance on the salvage titles. I know the judge is only one that change the document. I guess CRC will give the directive and then other can sue for breach of contract if they get a result they do not like which will delay things longer.

I still believe VW hopes to delay this until 9/1/18. Then they will pay the salvage claims. If they pay prior to that people will run to junkyards until 9/1/18.

GolfTDISA

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 VW Passat tdi
I think people as annoying as that sounds , we should still email and put pressure on all of them until they get annoyed and do something about it. Someone should repost the big post(with all the info ) again for the new and old guys to know where to email .Thanks

GolfTDISA

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 VW Passat tdi
WE NEED AS MANY AS POSSIBLE TO GET THIS DONE, PLEASE SPEND THE TIME TO DO IT. Advise nothing is being done. We need to all do our part so that something is done other than wait, we have time to do this now so that when judge makes his ruling maybe our voice will be heard or prior to the report coming out on the 30th documenting the problems with the settlement.

TO FILE A REPORT WITH EPA: use contact us link, report a violation on their website at:
www.epa.gov

email contacts direct< OTAQ@epa.gov, or Iddings.Brianna@epa.gov or ?

REGISTER FTC COMPLAINT ON THEIR WEBSITE:

www.ftc.gov
CLICK
FILE A CONSUMPER COMPLAINT, OTHER, AUTOMOBILE

You can email jcohen2@ftc.gov

You will need to cut and paste VW address to complete this.

Volkswagen Group of America
2200 Ferdinand Porsche Dr.
Herndon, VA 20171
(248) 754-5000

www.volkswagengroupamerica.com

COURT APPOINTED CLAIMS SUPERVISOR email them as well nothing being done on hold not accounted for in reports our types of cases.
https://ankura.com/?s=volkswagen+

Email or call them to advise direct:
Ankara Consulting Associate: tom.geddes@ankura.com
Director: john.hays@ankura.com

1220 19th Street, NW, Suite 700, Washington, DC 20036
+1.202.797.1111 Main
+1.202.797.3619 Fax

LASTLY IF YOU HAVENT ALREADY DONE SO.
TO FILE AN APPEAL WITH THE CRC

email appeal to: crc@vwcourtsettlement.com
To submit an appeal to the Claims Review Committee, you must send a written request to appeal to the Claims Review Committee, ALOT EASIER to just email them at crc@vwcourtsettlement.com or via mail at P.O. Box 214500, Auburn Hills, MI 48321

Your request must include:
Name, address, telephone number, VIN number and Claim Reference Number.
A brief statement explaining why you believe the ineligibility determination or offer amount calculation was in error. For Now state claim delayed or offer amount not given? Anything to just get on record?

OUR LEAD ATTORNEY Class Counsel:

Lead Counsel of entire settlement, all other attorneys assist my understanding. Not sure who or which directly speaks to vw.

Lieff Cabraser Heimann & Bernstein, LLP
275 Battery Street, 29th Floor
San Francisco, CA 94111

https://www.lieffcabraser.com/contact

T (415) 956 1000 fx (415) 956 1008

Attorney: Phong Nguyen
email:
pgnguyen@lchb.com

Elizabeth Cabraser
ecabraser@lchb.com

GolfTDISA

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 VW Passat tdi
I would recommend for all of us to try to get Media Coverage , lets try to find and make a list here on this portal for example company's like Jalopnik guy etc that will create urgency on the part of the council to actually do something . Any suggestions????

GolfTDISA

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 VW Passat tdi
I found some people that we can contact

1)By Paul Muschick

The Watchdog is published Thursdays and Sundays. Contact me at watchdog@mcall.com, 610-841-2364 or The Morning Call, 101 N. Sixth St., Allentown, PA, 18101. I'm on Twitter @mcwatchdog and Facebook at Morning Call Watchdog.

2) By James Ayre CleanTecbica

find him on Facebook CleanTechica and email them email ?

3) By David Tracy Jalopnik david.tracy@jalopnik.com

4) by David Shepardson Reuters https://agency.reuters.com/en/reuters-

connect/contact.html

5) Green Car Reports Stephen Edelstain contributing writer https:/www.greencarreports.com/aboutus

Lightflyer1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Beetle tdi dsg
Most of the press wants to print stories of the David and Goliath type. David defeats Goliath is always a story. If you are one of the people who has bought up salvage cars to turn them in for profit, I doubt you will be seen as "David". You may find it difficult to get press without this angle. Good luck with your endeavors though. I still say your best bet is to see your own attorney and get them involved asap.

GolfTDISA

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 VW Passat tdi
Thank you for you opinion Debbie downer aka Lighflyer I understand you might be still bitter for selling your car to early and not cashing in on the whole process please do us the favor and do not comment at all, lots of us would appreciate that. As for all others we need to bring this story out because these VW agents like Lightflyer1 don't want us to bring any attention, until Sep 2018 so that they can get away with it. They are the ones in Breach of Contract , they are the ones postponing this without any explanation for over 9 months and so forth etc etc , not we.

Last edited:

Lightflyer1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Beetle tdi dsg
I said nothing about quashing your story, only that you may have trouble getting the press on your side. Get your story out all you want to, I am not stopping you or trying to. Still a lawyer of your own is going to be the best method to insure you are accounted for.

I have already dealt with my selling my car. It is what it is. I was excluded as I didn't fall in the right dates. I don't hate VW, the courts or any one else over it. I even bought a new left over 2015 Beetle tdi. Man I must be bitter to do that, right?

This is a discussion forum right? I haven't called anyone any names, been disrespectful, or used any bad language. For the record I have nothing in common with VW other than I own one of their cars. Not a VW agent in any way.

psd1

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta 2013 Passat SE 6Man
I said nothing about quashing your story, only that you may have trouble getting the press on your side. Get your story out all you want to, I am not stopping you or trying to. Still a lawyer of your own is going to be the best method to insure you are accounted for.

I have already dealt with my selling my car. It is what it is. I was excluded as I didn't fall in the right dates. I don't hate VW, the courts or any one else over it. I even bought a new left over 2015 Beetle tdi. Man I must be bitter to do that, right?

This is a discussion forum right? I haven't called anyone any names, been disrespectful, or used any bad language. For the record I have nothing in common with VW other than I own one of their cars. Not a VW agent in any way.
There isn't a case for a lawyer...yet.

jibberjive

Veteran Member
TDI
MK7 GSW
Most of the press wants to print stories of the David and Goliath type. David defeats Goliath is always a story. If you are one of the people who has bought up salvage cars to turn them in for profit, I doubt you will be seen as "David". You may find it difficult to get press without this angle. Good luck with your endeavors though. I still say your best bet is to see your own attorney and get them involved asap.
You add nothing of value to this conversation. You previously said that you wouldn't post any more in this thread if you weren't dragged in, but, like clockwork, you just can't help yourself.

GolfTDISA

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 VW Passat tdi
Question ?

What happened to : If Settling Defendants fail to initiate offers of the Buyback or the Lease Termination within 15 Days of the Effective Date... unless such time is extended in writing by EPA/CARB, Settling Defendants shall pay the following Stipulated Penalty for each Day the offer is delayed: $10,000 1st through 14th Day $25,000 15th through 30th Day $50,000 31st Day and beyond what happened to the contract ? why even have contract if no one will follow it ??

So why is EPA / CARB not responding to us without any explanation ??

Last edited:

bizzle

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 GSW SEL (totaled), 2013 Touareg Executive
VW initiated the buyback program late last year.

That paragraph doesn't refer to whether VW has to extend an offer to every single owner within 15 days and the penalties would go to the government, not us regardless so you wouldn't know whether they have or have not paid any of those penalties.

GolfTDISA

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 VW Passat tdi
I don't think they ever paid on any, because it is loosely enforced it seem like it. All the council took VW side because they got paid already from them.

GolfTDISA

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 VW Passat tdi
that no one got any decent explanation WHY ? absolutely no communication whatsoever from VW to the owners this is just ridiculous for over 9 mnt?

GolfTDISA

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 VW Passat tdi
2 new lawsuits filed

2 new lawsuits filed against VW

1/16/2018 Civil (SF/OK-99-Other) Direct Automotive Management, Inc. v. Volkswagen Group of America, Inc. et al 3:18-cv-00335 CRB In San Jose on 1/16/2018

12/22/2017 Civil (SF/OK- 1-Contract) Gillard et al v. Volkswagen Group of America, Inc. et al 3:17-cv-07287 CRB In San Francisco on 12/22/2017

jibberjive

Veteran Member
TDI
MK7 GSW
A contract is only as effective as its enforcement, and on top of that, that settlement contract is only relevant to the "class." It sounds as if they are potentially arguing that salvage titles (or certain classes of salvage titles) are not even a part of the class, and therefore not bound by the terms of the settlement. In the latter case, it's not a case of 'loose enforcement,' as there would be nothing binding to enforce.

GoFaster

Moderator at Large
TDI
2006 Jetta TDI
I'm no expert on legalese, but that term "effective date" probably has a whole lot of terms and conditions behind it.

If the "effective date" isn't until such time that adequate documentation is supplied and approved, then the other side of the argument is that they could argue that a salvage title isn't adequate documentation, and they could sit on the approval process for a looooooong time.

jibberjive

Veteran Member
TDI
MK7 GSW
What happened to : If Settling Defendants fail to initiate offers of the Buyback or the Lease Termination within 15 Days of the Effective Date... unless such time is extended in writing by EPA/CARB, Settling Defendants shall pay the following Stipulated Penalty for each Day the offer is delayed: $10,000 1st through 14th Day $25,000 15th through 30th Day $50,000 31st Day and beyond what happened to the contract ? why even have contract if no one will follow it ??

So why is EPA / CARB not responding to us without any explanation ??
I'm no expert on legalese, but that term "effective date" probably has a whole lot of terms and conditions behind it.

If the "effective date" isn't until such time that adequate documentation is supplied and approved, then the other side of the argument is that they could argue that a salvage title isn't adequate documentation, and they could sit on the approval process for a looooooong time.
That clause only pertains to the "[Initiation of the] Recall Program Offer," meaning they had to have started the recall program in general within 15 days of the Consent Decree (the settlement) being filed in the court records. Once they started the recall program within 15 days of the settlement being approved, they satisfied that clause, and that clause doesn't pertain to the individual handling of cars after that point.

GolfTDISA

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 VW Passat tdi
cool finding

That is a great find, we need to start a new petition , that would be good to see how many people are in limbo like us.

jibberjive

Veteran Member
TDI
MK7 GSW
That is a great find, we need to start a new petition , that would be good to see how many people are in limbo like us.
Good idea on a new petition. Soon there should be an anonymous poll, with all of the relevant questions, to get a real count of how many of us are out there. There are many more affected parties than are participating in this thread, and many more than are being accounted for in the official reports to the judge.

People who are already participating in legal action with a 3rd party attorney may not want to participate publicly in this thread, and there are also people who may have not filed a claim or appeal with the PSC yet (while they wait for the roadblock to get handled, so that their other claims don't get frozen). An anonymous poll would get these people accounted for.

Last edited:

bizzle

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 GSW SEL (totaled), 2013 Touareg Executive
There are problems with that methodology.

An anonymous poll can only count the people that take it. Rather than "a real count of how many of us are out there," you'll instead have a real count of how many took the poll. Even that assumption is shaky given that an anonymous online poll can be spoofed and you could be over-estimating how many people are affected.

jibberjive

Veteran Member
TDI
MK7 GSW
There are problems with that methodology.

An anonymous poll can only count the people that take it. Rather than "a real count of how many of us are out there," you'll instead have a real count of how many took the poll. Even that assumption is shaky given that an anonymous online poll can be spoofed and you could be over-estimating how many people are affected.
I don't think any methodology is perfect. Well, actually, the single perfect methodology would require someone inside of VW, who has access to the complete database of the cars and their current title statuses. He alone could do a relatively simple analysis and get "a real count of how many of us are out there."

Outside of that, we have to work with what we've got, even if it is imperfect (maybe I should have said, "to get a more real count of how many of us are out there.")

What we've got to work with is all self-reported, with the inherent flaws and shortcomings of anything that is self-reported. There are some methods about how to mitigate the abuse of the poll, but even with the risk of abuse and the less-than-100% participation rate inherent in a voluntary poll, I still feel that it would be valuable and worthwhile.

I can't think of any more accurate method to get a rough total number than that anonymous poll, so if you do have a more accurate solution that is viable, I'm sure we're all ears.

Last edited:

E2Tdi

TDI
2012 Jetta TDI
2 new lawsuits filed against VW
1/16/2018 Civil (SF/OK-99-Other) Direct Automotive Management, Inc. v. Volkswagen Group of America, Inc. et al 3:18-cv-00335 CRB In San Jose on 1/16/2018
12/22/2017 Civil (SF/OK- 1-Contract) Gillard et al v. Volkswagen Group of America, Inc. et al 3:17-cv-07287 CRB In San Francisco on 12/22/2017
Are these to suits specific to the issue of VW refusing/delaying the buyback of salvage/branded title cars?

GolfTDISA

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 VW Passat tdi
We need all the people to sign up , this will create that attention that we need to bring the issue out , for the people that are afraid there is no name lists visible so they got nothing to loose and everything to gain , this will be delivered to the Judge and Elisabeth , but we need lot more people signing in .