1997 Passat Jumped Timing:What would you do?

DIESEL~ME

Hello community at large,

Our 97' Passat tdi jumped timing and is in need of an injector pump and a head rebuild. :(

I can have the work done right for approx. $2200. We bought the car for $2600 and last week I installed new bilsteins and mounts all around.

So, what would you do? Cut bait or pay the piper?

For what it's worth the interior is 9-10, exterior has minor surface rust confined to 2 doors (7-10)

rdkern

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Passat 1997 silver (sold after 11 years), Jetta 2000 atlantic blue
Please give further details.

Why an injection pump?

Head rebuild alone, done right, would be about $2.5K, iirc. Injector pump rebuilt about $850. How long would you like to own this car? My B4 gets 45 mpg on the highway in comfort - I'd get mine fixed. I don't know of another car I'd rather purchase that doesn't cost $3K in payments within 6 months.

DIESEL~ME

Hello,

The car is at Herm's shop in Richmond, ME. It appears that the pump is bad in addition to the jumped timing. He has a rebuilt Bosch unit in stock to replace it for around $700.

He sends the heads out to MO to Frank, he is on this forum, and estimates approx. $1000 for rebuild.

Then we have the cost of timing belt kit + labor to put it back together.

I agree, no other sedan returns such mileage with such room. I had a 96' sedan for 8 great years b4...still not sure why i ever sold it?!?

Others, please weigh in...what would you do??

rdkern

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Passat 1997 silver (sold after 11 years), Jetta 2000 atlantic blue
If Herm can do it for that price, get it done.

Do you mind sharing why did the timing jumped?

G60ING

Top Post Dawg
TDI
No TDIs Currently, I have an R36 Corrado. I've had an ALH Corrado swap, AHU Corrado swap and 2003 TDI Jetta
How many miles?

If you do pull the trigger something you might want to consider is spending $300 more or so and re-ring it. The piston rings tend to have a lot of carbon build up. At least mine did at 180k miles.

DIESEL~ME

Timing belt was done 2/10/10 by some monkeys at a shop in Scarborough, ME

She was hard to start for the last week, but only in the morning..seemed to be a glow plug issue at the time.

Herm said he could literally slip his thumb between the belt and the pulley..almost no tension there at all:mad:

Car has 160k, and we do love it.

G60ING

Top Post Dawg
TDI
No TDIs Currently, I have an R36 Corrado. I've had an ALH Corrado swap, AHU Corrado swap and 2003 TDI Jetta
What would you get for $2k-$4k to replace it? (figure you could still sell it for $1,000 as a parts car)

What other work will it need in the next 6 months to a year?

VWWV

Veteran Member
TDI
passat 96, candy white
What would you get for $2k-$4k to replace it? (figure you could still sell it for $1,000 as a parts car) //SNIP//

Exactly. They aren't making them anymore and never will again. Do anything you can to keep it going, IMO.

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
Seems like Herm is doing you a favor fixing it for that much, I'd jump on it! Then you can motor on in a superior car for less than 1/4 the cost of the cheapest Kia you can buy! :D

Abacus

That helpful B4 guy
TDI
Only the B4V left
DIESEL~ME said:
The car is at Herm's shop in Richmond, ME. It appears that the pump is bad in addition to the jumped timing. He has a rebuilt Bosch unit in stock to replace it for around $700.

He sends the heads out to MO to Frank, he is on this forum, and estimates approx. $1000 for rebuild.

Then we have the cost of timing belt kit + labor to put it back together.
That is a good deal. The parts are top notch and Herm does good work, you won't go wrong. I think Herm said he uses DFIS for the pump rebuilds, and I know he doesn't cut corners on ANY parts or procedures.

Wow, I live in Nobleboro as well, on East Pond Road. I have seen a black B4 around, is it yours? Mine is the dark green one with the 16" wheels. It can't be the maroon one since I think they live in Waldoboro and have a greasecar kit installed, and Herm doesn't do greasecar kits.

I would have it rebuilt, and here is why.

You would be very hard pressed to find a car that gets 45-50 mpg and is comfortable to drive. The B4 is great in the snow, has a good history of longevity, and is relatively easy to work on (major mishaps like this notwithstanding). You would be especially hard pressed to find one for merely a few thousand dollars. I know, living in midcoast Maine, the term "merely" isn't often found in conjunction with "thousand dollars", but in the car realm, they are.

A regular car may also cost you a large amount of money to have repaired, and you know the history of yours, so after this repair is completed, what else would it need?

The B4 is a great car, some people hate them with a passion, but they really are nice once you know how they're put together (minus the heater core of course).

If you want to discuss anything further, please send me a PM or e-mail and we can get together for a local coffee.

Last edited:

DIESEL~ME

kooyajerms

grocery getter
TDI
97 B4V (mine), 11 x5 35d (hers) 04 V10 (that one you want), 2014 Q7 (mom's) 74 Shasta 1400
It was a good deal to repair the B4 with Herm. I concur with all the B4 lovers, it's a great vehicle. I've put more than double what I paid for into mine to bring it back to (more than) running condition.

But then again, that's one sexy golf swap. I can see why you weren't concerned with the fix!

Jetta SS

Veteran Member
TDI
'98 Jetta
I would have fixed it. Thats a no brainer on a 160k mile TDI. Plus you know what you have. Getting another vehicle has always come with unknown problems for me.

DIESEL~ME

Bumping this thread as I'm moving on and want the B4 to go to a good home.

As stated in the for sale thread I am willing to offer the right person a sweet deal on this car of they agree to have Herm fix it.

Contact me directly for more info if you are SERIOUS.

Thanks

Campbellonh

Veteran Member
TDI
formerly:Passat, 96, white and 10 Jetta, white gold
I'd have fixed it too. Someone will buy it, I'm sure. Herm will fix it right.

slam

Veteran Member
TDI
1996 Passat TDI B4V Wagon
I still don't get how a timing belt skip could harm the fuel pump. That makes no sense to me. If it worked before it should work aften the head job.

oilhammer

TDI
I still don't get how a timing belt skip could harm the fuel pump. That makes no sense to me. If it worked before it should work aften the head job.
Read Herm's FS link, it is making 'evil knocks and rattles' and won't hold timing.

slam

Veteran Member
TDI
1996 Passat TDI B4V Wagon
it is making 'evil knocks and rattles'
How is that different from normal? :D Thanks, I didn't follow the FS link before. Still seems odd if it worked before it should work again. Did it not holding timing before the head needed rebuilding? Otherwise how has the timing been checked if the head is shot?

oilhammer

TDI
Well it sounds like the car was running like crap before, probably due to the pump AND the M&P t-belt job.