2001 VW TDI performance upgrades?????

02PSDV8

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta, Silver
Ok guys, I hope I'm in the area here so here it goes.... I have a 2001 vw TDI jetta 5spd and I'm looking for more performance. I was thinking of a TT exhaust, tuning box (is there a better chip out there for the $$$?) and a KN filter. Is the about right?? Any imput would be great! Thanks!

ofhs93

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta GL, 99.5, Silver
ditto...and I suggest injectors/nozzles followed by chip..or both at the same time.

Curious Chris

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Jetta Wagon 2003 RIP Rockford IL
IMHO I would avoid oiled air filter as there is a lot of evidence that the stock paper is fine. I have a filter minder on my paper and the paper is holding together fine after 35,000 miles. Oh why avoid the oiled filters: you have a delicate MAF just downstream of the air filter that will be damaged by oil vapor.

For nice full rpm range power, I would go with injectors. PP520's will kick you up to about 107 hp and they are a stealth mod that no one can see.

If you are primarily and urban driver, then the Upsolute stock chip gives you rocket launching power off the line and gives you about 117-119 hp.

For really nice power you do an injection upgrade with a chip to match like I did, but then you have upgrade your clutch too!! My beast has way too much torque for the stock clutch.

TornadoRed

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI wagon, silver; 2003 Jetta TDI wagon, indigo blue; 2003 Golf GL 5-spd, red (PARTED); 2003 Golf GLS 5-spd, indigo blue (SOLD); 2003 Jetta TDI wagon, Candy White (SOLD)
RE: TT exhaust.
There is a heated argument going on in another forum concerning exhaust systems/mufflers. The point-of-view that makes the most sense to me is that there is no muffler that is better than no muffler. (Does that make sense?) If you want to get the most out of your exhaust system, do a cat-ectomy and a muffler-ectomy, and just run a straight pipe out the back. It certainly does not make sense to replace your current exhaust with one from a gasoline engine.

RE: tuning box.
I am unqualified to suggest which of your several options is best. But from what I've read, it is better to upgrade injectors first, then chip if you want more power (but plan on upgrading your clutch too).

RE: KN filter
If you want one, you should be able to buy one cheap from tdiclub members who have removed theirs and gone back to stock filters. It's been tried; it addresses a problem that doesn't really exist, and causes additional problems. Again, this is from my reading, since I don't have a KN (or K&N?) filter and have no plans to acquire one. For my next filter change, however, I may go with the foam filter (winter?) used with the 1.8T engine. It is more expensive, but might be worth it. No additional power, however.

Let us know what you decide.