What did you do to your MKIV today?

Rrusse11

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Golf, 5spd; 05 Jeep CRD
Nero,
With 176k on mine, I've got a rebuilt spare on the shelf. I'll probably
swap it in next TB. No problems yet, but the pump is the heart and soul of the engine.
My $.02.

Nero Morg

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2014 A6 TDI, 2001 Jetta TDI, 2014 Passat TDI
Nero, if you don't have a spare IP, check this out!
https://portland.craigslist.org/clc/pts/d/boring-alh-tdi-11mm-diesel-fuel/6848473687.html
I wish I could pick it up, but we're in savings mode right now.
You know I saw that a few days ago, I find it hard to believe it's a zero mile brand new unit... I do have a spare 11mm pump that needs overhauled so I'm not too terribly worried about it, plus I don't have performance issues yet, knock on wood. Just thinking preventative maintenance.

rrgrassi

Veteran Member
TDI
'06 Jetta TDI 5 speed
Actually did this yesterday...replaced rear wheel bearing hubs, installed 0.5 degree shim in right rear due to camber being at 2 degrees negative, so now at 1.5 degrees negative which is now in spec. Caliper bracket was shimmed as well.

Also replaced the large radiator fan, since it was locked up. Had to use zip ties to keep the connector together since the factory connector tab decided to break when I pressed it to release.

All is working well, though.

tdi_allan

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta Wagon, 2003 Jetta Sedan (Lemons racer), 2010 Touareg
Blend door bushing (VW calls it a “pin”). Just in time for 80 degree weather here in Chicago...

hitman1985

Veteran Member
TDI
02 Jetta TDI ALH
That steering wheel is actually pretty neat, what's it out of? Do all functions work?
None of them work except horn and airbag (id hope. Not eager to find out)
Mkv gli wheel tho I could possibly wire the rest up; but I'll be blocking those buttons off as I don't use them.
I was about to ask that. I’m going to JY shortly and I’m thinking of finding an upgrade for my wheel

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Any mkv single stage airbag will work; as long as you are handy with a soldering iron.... Just fyi.the wheel won't matter but the harness + bag do

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

BakoTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta, MK7
Mkv flat bottom in with custom loom...

Got myself am MKV GTI flat bottom wheel yesterday but the JY won’t sell me the wheel with the airbag! So mad! That GTI still had the nice seats and I dreamt about them last night. Ugh. Anyway, wheel has paddle shifters and controls. It’s going on eBay now.

hitman1985

Veteran Member
TDI
02 Jetta TDI ALH
Got myself am MKV GTI flat bottom wheel yesterday but the JY won’t sell me the wheel with the airbag! So mad! That GTI still had the nice seats and I dreamt about them last night. Ugh. Anyway, wheel has paddle shifters and controls. It’s going on eBay now.

Check your pm / tap chat.

hitman1985

Veteran Member
TDI
02 Jetta TDI ALH
How do you like those auxiliary lights? I got a set of spot lights off amazon that I’ve been happy with so far. Took me six months to get around to building the brushguard mount.
They honestly don't do much but upset people in oncoming lanes; it's all flood LEDs but for my use they are ok; I've started angling them outward so as to Illuminate the outskirts of a 2 lane road ( ditch and surrounding area) because I'm more worried about illumination in that area vs straight ahead most days. I've planned on putting some real hella old school rally fixtures on it. But my corrado project is now taking most of the funds I had laying here

Daysul

TDI
2003 Golf GLS TDI
Over the weekend I got some maintenance done...

got the Oil/filter changed, did a diesel purge and swapped the fuel filter, and then got my dieselgeek panzar skid plate installed!

frank_h71

TDI
2015 Passat SEL TDI, 2014 Beetle Convertible TDI "Molly's Ride", & 2004 Jetta Wagon TDI my commute car
Cussed it! Not really. It's old. Pushed it out of the way and drove the 2015 Passat to work because it wouldn't start.

TornadoRed

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI wagon, silver; 2003 Jetta TDI wagon, indigo blue; 2003 Golf GL 5-spd, red (PARTED); 2003 Golf GLS 5-spd, indigo blue (SOLD); 2003 Jetta TDI wagon, Candy White (SOLD)
I replaced the antennae base again, because FM reception was at about 50% and AM reception at 10-20%.

RexNICO

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Tiguan, 2011 Q7
I have the same wheel in my wagon sans bag (non-DD) and have been searching for a single stage bag myself. As I understand there are single stage B6 bags too.

I also have an MKVI w/ bag that I’ve been waiting to install that uses a single stage too.

Both are multi-function, but I have no intention of wiring up the multi-function, as my car did not originally have a MFSW.

Such a different “feel” in your hands.

BakoTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta, MK7
I have the same wheel in my wagon sans bag (non-DD) and have been searching for a single stage bag myself. As I understand there are single stage B6 bags too.

I also have an MKVI w/ bag that I’ve been waiting to install that uses a single stage too.

Just not sure if to me, it’s worth waiting and paying that much for a bag...I was almost home free with the entire wheel except for LKQ’s policy. Ugh! Plus all the extra buttons...

tdidieselbobny

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'03 Galactic Blue Jetta TDI, '15 Silk Blue Golf Sportwagen TDI
Finally finished the week long part replacement project.The new aftermarket headlight housings use totally different bulbs than the oem ones, needed 9003 headlight bulbs and 7507 signal bulbs. Broke the negative battery hold down bolt. Junkyard trip resulted in getting 2 hold down bolts. Fired up really fast! The new starter really helped. Still had a coolant drip yesterday, but today I didn't see any leaks. I need to get the skidplate back on then I'll be done. Probably clean back of engine with some simple green and water. I need to order some more silicone vacuum line so I can finish what I didn't replace.

hitman1985

Veteran Member
TDI
02 Jetta TDI ALH

Both are multi-function, but I have no intention of wiring up the multi-function, as my car did not originally have a MFSW.

Those single stage bags are usually below 80 on eBay or my local jy sells the bags for 52 plus tax ;) I've got several wheels and several control modules but have dual stage bags for most of them as my 07 rabbit is dual based and single conversion resulted in loss of cruise control lol... Still working on that issue. For now the mk4 is getting a manual swap; fmic kit; brm intake with egr delete and then maybe I'll get around to the coilovers I have laying in the parts bin since 6+ months ;) haha

Nero Morg

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2014 A6 TDI, 2001 Jetta TDI, 2014 Passat TDI
Awesome I'm not the only one running the BRM intake.

Finally wired my fog lights up. Wanna hear a joke? Fog lights with HIDs.

Rob Mayercik

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Jetta GLS, Baltic Green/Beige
I replaced the antennae base again, because FM reception was at about 50% and AM reception at 10-20%.
How did you arrive at those values? Something down in the diag functions in the radio, or empirical based on "how soon you lose signal on a station of known location"?

TwinTurboKen

TDI
04 Jetta 5-spd TDI
ordered glow plugs for it.

plugged my laptop into the car (VAG-COM) and found out it already had the flash for 7v glow plugs, but it had 5v glow plugs in the motor. ordered the 7v plugs. hopefully they'll arrive tomorrow so I can put them in and get the car out of the shop.

After lots of PB blaster with time to soak and liberal re-application of it, +pheumatic hammer tool and handwrench, and then some gentle in and out with a ratchet...I managed to get that stuck glow plug out without breaking it! :D Right now just got the plugs sitting in the holes by about 1 thread just to keep insects/rodents out of the motor until the parts show up. Then they're getting some anti-seize and torqued down properly with a torque wrench.

Rrusse11

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Golf, 5spd; 05 Jeep CRD
"After lots of PB blaster with time to soak and liberal re-application of it, +pheumatic hammer tool and handwrench, and then some gentle in and out with a ratchet...I managed to get that stuck glow plug out without breaking it!"

Well done sir!

Hyde7278

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Golf GL
This guy with his jokes, bet you're still using the same tank from when you filled it lol

No I have plenty of work that needs to be done to the car but no time to do it.
Have to redo the suspension, swap the brakes from a 20AE GTI, swap the interior, and fix the exhaust.

TornadoRed

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI wagon, silver; 2003 Jetta TDI wagon, indigo blue; 2003 Golf GL 5-spd, red (PARTED); 2003 Golf GLS 5-spd, indigo blue (SOLD); 2003 Jetta TDI wagon, Candy White (SOLD)
How did you arrive at those values? Something down in the diag functions in the radio, or empirical based on "how soon you lose signal on a station of known location"?
Just a SWAG. I know there are diagnostic tools in the Monsoon radio, but I didn't bother with those.

Gluckmysock

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Jetta 1.9

I tried putting a MFSW in my 02 which didn't come originally with one. How do you program the functions to work? Thanks, I have VCDS.

Blacktree

Veteran Member
TDI
'02 Jetta 5-spd
Yesterday I put some new tires on the Jetta... Continental ExtremeContact, 225/45-R17 on the front and 205/50-R17 on the back. These tires have kung fu grip!

Powder Hound

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'00 Golf 4dr White 5sp, '02 Jettachero 5sp, Wife's '03 NB Platinum Gray auto(!)
A few months ago my CD player in my 4-dr refused to play CDs anymore, claiming there was a 'CD ERROR' on the pristine spotless CD. It quit listening to radio stations a long time ago, but that was never a big deal as the selection up here is thin anyway. But I had it, so I ordered a relatively inexpensive one from crutchfield, as well as a slightly better one for my wife's NB as she always wanted one with bluetooth so she could play stuff from her smart phone.

They came in yesterday, and the biggest installation problem (I only did the head units) was getting the NB OEM unit out of the dash. Darned keys worked perfect out of the dash, but for some reason while it was installed, the keys just wouldn't lock up to pull it out.

Anyway, the included adapter plug worked great - they have even figured out that the K-line shouldn't be hooked up.

Took about 2 hours total to assemble both adapters and install. We both have tunes again. Yay!!

Cheers,

PH

gmenounos

Vendor
TDI
'99.5 Golf GLS, '01 Jetta GLX Wagon (TDI conversion)
Got back from a 5-day trip and fired up the wagon only to find that it now has an erratic idle. A scan shows a "Quantity Adjuster Upper limit reached" DTC. Car was running fine right before I left town. It's almost like it got mad that I left.