Rear Axle Bushing - Need to replace

mag2

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 Jetta GLS 5spd
I was trying to find some info on these, but havn't. Is there a write up on how to do them? Any suggestions as I hear they are a real pain to replace. Any suggestions on which parts to get, standard or are there some poly ones that go in easier? Any suggestions on how to get them in? THis is on a 2000 GLS 5 spd with 220K on it.

Thanks

mag2

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 Jetta GLS 5spd
I did some more searching after I had posted and found that one also. Thanks for the post. Looks like I'll be busy in a month or so when it warms up.

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
I have the proper tools for these, makes the job pretty straightforward. But the tool set is expensive.

I think people have come up with more creative means, that certainly look to be much more challenging, but if it works... :p

branger

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 jetta alh tdi 1.9L (recently sold),2013 A6 jetta tdi 2 litre DSG
rear axle bushings

Just finished installing my new bushings last night 4 hours, did it on a hoist so as i could leave everything hooked up held the beam with tranny jack so i wouldn't put to much stress on the brake lines. Used the vortex guide, really helpfull and also did a little research on here about little tricks, all in all not that bad, some cussing and heavey hammering but not as bad as i expected. Some confusion about lining them up properly but after some more investigating all is well. This website is unreal btw my car hadn't been touched in about 4 years and was falling apart was considering scrapping the thing, but thanks to this website and about a thousand dollars in parts i love the car again and it's purring like a kitten for now. Next will be my 5 speed swap it sounds like i have the auto tranny 2001 that is gonna bite it pretty soon i think anyway thanks guys

gtveloce

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Silver 5dr Golf TDI 5spd (RIP)
2ManyKMfor1Tank said:
This link is currently broken, any clues on how to find it again?

Thanks
It seems like when Vortex switched to the new forum software (april 2010), they lost all the old post.

LNXGUY

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'05 Jetta TDI Wagon
Drop rear beam, bring to shop, get shop to press out old bushings and press new one in, drive home, re-install.

Doesn't get much simpler then that.