LED license plate lights

Fixmy59bug

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Passat TDI SE
Hi...

My name's Robert, and I am a technology addict.

That said, I found Vw has some LED license plate lights that I have been thinking about installing on my '13 Passat. They're pricey buggers, but they are OEM, DOT approved, should have better output than a bulb replacement LED, and should last longer.

The part number is 3AF-943-021-A. At almost $45 EACH that's a hard pill to swallow... But they appear to be a direct fit with only some minor VCDS coding required to keep the bulb out light from rearing it's ugly head.

Last edited:

compu_85

Gadget Guy
TDI
... None :S
Let us know how they fit. I did spot that tick box for LED license plate lamps in the body control module. They look like they have a well designed reflector.

-J

vw_norm

Gone, but not forgotten.
TDI
2012 NMS TDI SEL Platinum Gray w/moonrock
Does the electrical connector look like this?

I've tried other LEDs and they came with the wrong connector.

Fixmy59bug

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Passat TDI SE
I do not know for sure yet...

However I ran my vin in ETKA to find out what part number license plate my car used, then cross referenced that part number to other models ('12 Jetta (GLI?), '12 Touaregs, and of course our Passat).

Each of those 3 models used the same connector housing.

The Jetta and Touaregs also showed a listing for an LED license plate light which used the same connector housing.

So I have already ordered a set and just as soon as they come in, I will do a short and sweet write up.

But, looking at this pic, it is VERY promising

Last edited:

CNNPress

TDI
12 Passat TDi
I do not know for sure yet...

However I ran my vin in ETKA to find out what part number license plate my car used, then cross referenced that part number to other models ('12 Jetta (GLI?), '12 Touaregs, and of course our Passat).

Each of those 3 models used the same connector housing.

The Jetta and Touaregs also showed a listing for an LED license plate light which used the same connector housing.

So I have already ordered a set and just as soon as they come in, I will do a short and sweet write up.

But, looking at this pic, it is VERY promising

Very interested in this mod too!!

Fixmy59bug

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Passat TDI SE
I guess i will be the pioneer. Lol.

I just ordered a set. They should be here Friday, possibly monday at the latest.

Once received, i will install and code them and take pics.

CNNPress

TDI
12 Passat TDi
I guess i will be the pioneer. Lol.

I just ordered a set. They should be here Friday, possibly monday at the latest.

Once received, i will install and code them and take pics.
Excellent!! Thanks for the sharing!! I am still having some problems about my RVC setup, so do not want to deal with the licence plate light before the problem is solved.
Please let us know how it works out!

mikeyinpa

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 TDI SE
Robert,

Think you could get a number for the trunk light and the connector? I want to add another on the other side of the trunk opening.

Mike

Fixmy59bug

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Passat TDI SE
Haven't received them yet. None of the warehouses had them in stock, so I had to place the order from the main incoming warehouse for VWoA. They must have closed early on Wednesday because they didn't process my order until today (closed thanksgiving through yesterday).

I expect to have them on Wednesday and will put them in that night and post pictures.

CNNPress

TDI
12 Passat TDi
Haven't received them yet. None of the warehouses had them in stock, so I had to place the order from the main incoming warehouse for VWoA. They must have closed early on Wednesday because they didn't process my order until today (closed thanksgiving through yesterday).

I expect to have them on Wednesday and will put them in that night and post pictures.
:cool:

VeeDubTDI

Wanderluster, Traveler, TDIClub Enthusiast
TDI
‘18 Tesla Model 3D+, ‘14 Cadillac ELR, ‘13 Fiat 500e
Looking forward to pics after the install!

Last edited:

Fixmy59bug

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Passat TDI SE
SUCCESS!!!!!

First, remove the original light. There is a small tab where you can stick a plastic tool to wedge the light out of it's home.

The connector is exactly the same as pictured above. So I thought no picture was necessary.

Snap the new lights into place.

Go into VCDS. Channel 09 - Central Electronics. Byte 17, Bit 7. Check the box.

Enjoy the fruits of your labor with no error codes

TDI_Brad

Veteran Member
TDI
Passat TDI SEL
Thanks Robert I saw that after I made the post. Your right that's alittle steep but they probably last forever too. I see that your a parts manager so can we get them through you, maybe even a group buy if you do that kind of thing and if others are interested.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

VeeDubTDI

TDI
Is that picture accurate as far as color temperature is concerned? If so, they look very purple. That's not a problem - just an observation. :)

CNNPress

TDI
12 Passat TDi
Is that picture accurate as far as color temperature is concerned? If so, they look very purple. That's not a problem - just an observation. :)

Should be white. I just used my phone to take those photos. Forgive me if the photos are crappy. :)

VeeDubTDI

TDI
OK - wasn't sure. You never can tell what a camera's white balance is going to do on automatic and I saw the reflection of an orange street light.

Fixmy59bug

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Passat TDI SE
That's the problem with photographing light. The cameras usually try to compensate for the brightness and it typically throws off the white balance.

If you look at the photos I posted, they are a much clearer white and they were also taken with a camera phone.

CNN, Glad you are happy with them. May they last you years and years, LOL.

VeeDubTDI

TDI
Tip for photographing lights: set your camera to Tungsten (the little light bulb icon).