VAG-COM connectivity issues

greasyfingers

TDI
Jetta GLS, 2000, Maroon
Greetings all. I'm just about finished cleaning up from a major belt tenionser failure/head destruction fiasco and all I have to do is time the pump. Problem is, my shiny new VAG-COM (brand name goods) won't connect. About all it will do is lock up on my computer. It will occasionally last long enough to clear the test on the options page. I don't know what the LED on the OBD II end is telling me, but what it does is glow green until I try to access the car computer and then it will either flash or flicker red then go solid red, at which point it will lock up on my PC. Sometimes, for variety, it will lock up on green. I think since it's clearing the test occasionally, the settings on the computer are right, and I've gone through the flaky connection stuff in the FAQ as I understand them. I had someone else out with another VAG-COM cable some time back and it worked fine.

Can anyone point me to something I can check? I really need to get this car on the road this weekend.

MOGolf

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 Golf GLS TDI Reflex silver, rough road suspension and steel skid plate, 2004 Passat Variant, Candy White, rough road suspension and geared balanced shaft module, and much, much more. 2016 LR RR HSE TD6, 2019 Jaguar I-PACE
Besides Windows and VAG-COM, what other software may be running accessing the port?
Are you using a serial interface, or USB?
Any anti-virus or security software running?
Using a serial-USB converter?

If all else fails to get yours working, where are you in case some one is nearby and can lend a hand?

greasyfingers

TDI
Jetta GLS, 2000, Maroon
It's a serial port one. I don't think I've ever owned another serial device to have anything in the system fighting for the port. No serial-usb interface. I tried killing the anti-virus and everything else I could.

As far as location, I'm in Arlington, TX--right between Dallas and Ft. Worth. A list member did help me out about six months ago, actually. I hate to trouble people too much, though, and I really need to get this thing running with my wire so I can use it in the middle of the night. I'm going to have to make a really long road trip real soon and I want to be able to throw the cable in the boot and at least be able to diagnose on the road.

Uwe

Vendor , w/Business number
What kind of PC?
What version of Windows?
What version of VAG-COM?
What interface?

Please be a detailed in your answers as possible.

-Uwe-

greasyfingers

TDI
Jetta GLS, 2000, Maroon
I assembled the PC myself from parts: it's running an AMD Athlon chip, 2200 XP on an FIC AU13 board with 256 MB RAM and runs great. Every time I run the computer's diagnostics, the serial port shows good. Windows is XP 2nd SP, VAG-COM is 409.1, the interface is the Key-Com, 2KC101566 Rev. B. serial.

Just for further info, when it's closest to running, the test button shows me:

Port Status: OK
Interface: Found!
Type: Serial Pass-Through
Opto/Iso: No
Ross-Tech Design: Yes

In case that says anything.

Uwe

That's a desktop, right?
How long is your serial extension cord?
Just as an experiment, try putting the PC next to the car and eliminate the extension cord.

-Uwe-

greasyfingers

TDI
Jetta GLS, 2000, Maroon
I don't have a serial extension cord. I had it sitting in the passenger seat.

Uwe

You put a desktop PC in the passenger seat?!?!?
I've seen people use desktop PC's in the garage, but never in the passenger seat! :)

Call our office for an RMA tomorrow, I'd like to get your KEY-COM swapped out.

-Uwe-