Help - Malfunction indicator light (MIL) is on

csblunt

TDI
Jetta '03 - Silver
Hoping someone here can help me. I'm pretty new to the self-maintenance and repair of my 2003 TDI (just moved to a house so can stop using the stealership HOPEFULLY!) and need some advise / recommendations. As I was driving home this evening my MIL light came on.

I have a couple of questions - 1) I'm supposed to drive to Chicago in the morning (about 250 miles each way) am I SOL? 2) I've done a couple of services / "upgrades" in the past week - could any of these contribute to this? I did the Ventectomy, the "Mandatory Service" that GeWilli strongly recommends (cleaning of the air screen (left intact)), as well as the MAF "fix" by adding the Dielectric connector grease to the MAF connector.

Doesn't appear that I've lost any power, and everything appears to be running fine - just the light illuminates. I have turned off / turned on the engine several times to see if it would clear - it does stay off for a couple of minutes and then comes back on.

Any suggestions / tips, or advise on my trip to Chicago or on correcting this problem without the involvement of being ripped of by the stealer?

Thanks for any assistance you can provide me.

Chris

Wingnut

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Silver 2003 Jetta Wagon
No worries. If it is not flashing, it is not critical. It is most likely a glow plug fault code or coolant temp sensoe fault code. Those are the most common. Take your trip and try not to look down too much. Its annoying, I know. I drove for months with mine on before I got my Vag-com.

When you get back, take a look at the Vag-com list at the top of this page or this one here. Find someone close to you and have them pull the code for you. Once you get it, do a search using the code number or post it here and someone will point you in the right direction.

csblunt

TDI
Jetta '03 - Silver
Thanks Wingnut - I'll rest easier on the trip out to Chicago. May just have to stick a piece of electrical tape over it though

Thanks again.

Chris

bsalbrig

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Golf
a quick diagnosis for your problem is to take your car to autozone for the free diagnostics check
i did this last week the results were i had a coolant temp sensor fault
they didnt have the part so i had to go to VW $22

ymz

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI Wagon, 2003 Jetta TDI Wagon
>>is it just Wisconsin<<

Not necessarily... could be just that particular AutoZone... try another one!

The equipment they have wouldn't be all that sophisticated, in any case.... look up the Vag-Com list at the top of the page, and try to find someone in your area who could read the engine code properly!

All the best,

Yuri.

Marcus_go

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Jetta TDI
How many miles are on your car? My cel/mil came on last summer turned out it was a faulty coolant temp sensor. I had 84k km when it came one. If you have more miles than when I did, it will be most likely be the glow plugs or that connection clip that everyone talks about. Your car is an 03 so I would assume that you might still have some warranty left, correct?

cruisertoy

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 Jetta TDI
My MIL light has been on for a few months now and autozone said it was the glow plug failure code. My question is, Now I have my cooling fans turning on and off every few seconds once my 2000 jetta tdi is warm. Would the coolant temp sensor be causing this sort of problem?

fatmimi99

Veteran Member
TDI
02 NB Platinum Grey
My MIL light came on around 19,000 miles. Was told the same as earlier post, as long as it is not blinking, not to worry. When I did bring it in, the service center eventually diagnosed it as a bad valve in the turbo. I did have symptoms such as not much of a turbo "boost" when I wanted it.

csblunt

TDI
Jetta '03 - Silver
I'm going to see if AutoZone can pull the code for me. Although it is a 2003 and just hit the two-year mark (bought it Nov '02), I have 58K on it now. Luckily, if AutoZone can't pull the code(s), there are a few members in the area that have VAGCOMs.