Turning in 2012 not liking newer 2015

Derik

TDI
2012 Passat SE
I had the opportunity to get a slightly used 2015 SEL with 17,000 miles. So I reversed my original idea of keeping my 2012 SE.

I have my appointment for the 2012 next week and until then I have been driving both of them.

The 2012 is faster, shifts better (when RPM's are in the power zone) and so far get's better MPG than the 2015.

I am second guessing my decision. I don't remember my 2012 ever getting less than 38 mpg in town when it was new. The 2015 which I consider broken in but still new is now getting 33 city and I am not sure what the MPG is Highway since I have only put 300 or so mostly city miles on it. The fuel gauge seems to be moving very fast. My 2012 was consistently getting 42 plus in the city and 49-50 Highway.

The 2012 has 68,000 miles and I am getting 21,900 for it supposedly and the newer 2015 was 23,400 so it appeared to be a good deal but now I am not sure.

I like the 2012 stance ( lower in back ) but like the SEL package, seats, stereo and amenities and it seems to be stiffer (suspension) which I like.

Someone tell me it will get better..

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Passat SEL, 2017 Alltrack SE; BB 2010 Sedan Man; 2012 Passat,
Don't even need to go full delete, try a stage 2 tune, reports of MPG gain and performance are hard to pass up.

The real comparison would be if you had the '12 "fixed" and then drive them back to back, as it sounds like you were thinking of keeping the '12 I'd assume you'd take the modification money.

Once the '12 is fixed maybe the '15 will shine.

thundershorts

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 passat tdi sel premium 2015 golf s tdi gls tdi b5.5, 2002 eurovan,Peugeot 505 td,Citroen cx25 prestige
I had a similar situation, both my 2013 sel ans a new 2015 sel. Ended sticking to plan and sold 2013 back to VW. With the alignment settings I have posted, you will probably see an improvement in mpg, plus far greater tire life. (front and rear toe set to zero, rear camber set neg half a degree. Your 2015 will fell like a different car, far better. I think the 2015 overall is a better car and assuming it doesn't have Kumos, you're going to love it. It was suggested by the service manager at Hamilton that these cars may benefit from a few treatments of diesel fuel cleaner since they have been sitting. I really liked my 2013 sel except for the interior color, but 8 grand more than I paid for it, made the buyback easy. I'd buy it back if the price was right.

Derik

TDI
2012 Passat SE
My 2012 didn't have the fix yet and because of it being a second generation TDI it was or would be more involved yes I am not comparing apples to apples. I want my old TDI performance and MPG back but do enjoy the SEL and the newer car makes since $$ wise. The price was with tax and license.

The new car has continental tires the 2012 has Goodyear but came with the Bridgestones, I noticed no MPG change going from one tire to the other. The Goodyear's only have 12,000 miles on them and I was thinking about putting them on the 2015 before I turn in the 2012 but read the Continentals were good tires.

I am going to talk to VW about the mileage and early shifting with the 2015 and then go from there. An alignment, Delete or stage 2 maybe the way to go.

Thanks

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Passat SEL, 2017 Alltrack SE; BB 2010 Sedan Man; 2012 Passat,
Also bear in mind, MPGs should climb a bit as the new '15 is broken in.

As for performance its all about how much money you want to toss at it.

Jetta_Pilot

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Passat Highline TDI Candy White (SEL Premium) long gone 2002 Jetta TDI
Well so far having had my car for one year before the Phase 1 fix and now about 4 weeks after the fix I am fairly confident that my mileage rating has dropped. The first noticeable difference is in how quickly the needle drops from "FULL".
Shortly I will be doing a 1,300 mile trip and that will really show my mileage.
I do not go by the MFD mileage, it lies.

rustycat

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 passat sel

As for performance its all about how much money you want to toss at it.
Yesterday, my first opportunity to drive a bit with mixed freeway and secondary roads on a 100-mile trip, I was really surprised by the mileage the new 15 SEL achieved. The freeway was somewhat crowded, so I pretty much kept the car right at 60mph and the secondary roads were 50 to 25 mph zones (the secondary road miles totaling 60 miles) the with the occasional stop light/sign. According to the MFI, my average was 47.7 mpg.
I never showed that good on the 13 SEL we traded in.

Aja1

TDI
2012 Passat TDI SEL
I had a '12, then traded it in for a '15 (prior to selling it back). I always thought the '15 was more sluggish, and less fun to drive. I didn't notice the difference in rear height at the time, but now that you mention it, my '15 did seem higher and less sporty in the back.