Thread: Clutch slipping
View Single Post
Old January 15th, 2019, 15:04   #3
Slurry Pumper
Veteran Member

I changed to a SouthBend SMF clutch when the original dual mass died do to the masses not moving in a synchronized way at about 125K o nthe clock. Basically causing a shutter off the line. At the time amazingly the EGR, and DPF just fell off the car, so I got the Malone stage 2 with the rawtek exhaust. Afterwards, after around 45K more in milage, the tranny wouldn't allow me to shift into 1st gear. I was lazy and didn't fix that for another 15K in mileage. During the time, the SMF make noise and I still believe that the clutch was slightly engaged when in neutral causing a premature failure. There have been allot of problems with the SMF style of clutch that have been documented on this forum.

I eventually got a more stout throw out bearing, along with a fluid dampener, resurfaced the clutch, then got a stage 3 tune when I replaced the turbo with a larger version. This all happened around 110K ago, and it is still working flawlessly. It will probably die tomorrow now that I'm mentioning it. The fluid dampener has made a large difference in the shaking at around 2100 RPMs, and the new hydraulic throwout bearing seems to keep the clutch from making the rattling noise that when listening to it, you just know that it isn't good for the car.

No hole to big, no head to high, no fee too excessive!
Slurry Pumper is offline   Reply With Quote

Page generated in 0.06503 seconds with 8 queries
[Output: 15.32 Kb. compressed to 13.81 Kb. by saving 1.51 Kb. (9.86%)]