ALH oil filters

Nero Morg

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2014 A6 TDI, 2001 Jetta TDI, 2014 Passat TDI
Would like some input on oil filters. Me personally for all my vehicles I've always used Napa Gold filters, but I know some people suggests others like Mann or Hengst. Any difference? Gains? Thanks!

BobnOH

not-a-mechanic
TDI
New Beetle 2003 manual
Hard to make a bad filter for these, if they do you'll know by the price or odd ball brand.

jackfolstam

Veteran Member
TDI
MkI Rabbit ALH swap
I just learned about the plastic baffle found in some and not others, basically a section of plastic tube in the lower section of the inside of the filter, I believe it does not go all the way to the bottom. They say this is to keep some oil in the filter after shutdown to keep some oil ready to pump up the lifters. I don't know if anyone makes a filter without it.

Nero Morg

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Yeah I learned about that recently, kind of what inspired me to post this. The Napa filter I installed has the baffle, and you can't install it fully backwards. Just trying to make the car last as long as possible!

Genesis

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'03 Jetta Wagon
Correct. As long as the baffle is there it's all good.

Any LEGITIMATE filter for these vehicles will have it. It should be there. It's the same thing as an "anti-drainback valve" in a spin-on filter basically, and does the same thing.

Nero Morg

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Work up a list of everything you need and drive over to Gresham and visit these guys. They will fix you right up. Walk-ins are welcome.
https://www.cascadegerman.com
I've been there, those guys are amazing. They're who did my stage 2 tune and sold me my clutch. Not really sure how it pertains to opinions of oil filters though...