BUG*PWR Award Nominations

VW Derf

Administrator
Staff member
TDI
2010 Blue Graphite Pearl Golf Variant
Each year at TDIFest the BUG*PWR award is given to an individual who has done a lot of work for various people in the club and was always willing to help others, often without payment. It is in memory of a member named BUG*PWR who did a lot of work for others and was always jumping in to assist others.

I am looking for someone who has given a lot to the TDIClub community, goes out of their way to help others, and is not in it for any profit. If you would like to nominate someone, please post (or email me) a little bit about the person and what they have done for the club by August 12th, 2009. I will take the suggestions and make the announcement of this years winner at TDIFest 2009.

Past winners:
2000 Wilmington, NC: Velvetfoot
2001 Park City, Ut: Drivebiwire
2002 Grand Rapids, Mi: Gofaster
2003 Toronto, Tongsli
2004 Boston, Ma: Gwilli
2005 Ft Atkinson, WI: PeterV
2006 Philadelphia, PA: Tomo366
2007 Montreal, Canada: Lug_Nut
2008 Mason, OH: Hamsterdiesel
2009: Washington, DC: TBD

Please send nominations directly to fred@tdiclub.com

JASONP

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Golf TDI Comfortline 6spd
1 vote for Wingnut

Always willing to help out any memeber,will often drive to a member's location to help.
Knowledgeable local guru who rarely accepts payment for services rendered, unless $ was put out for parts .
I personally haven't met Nigel yet but the thanks and gratittude I see given to Nigel makes me do things for other member in my area, just not on the same scale or volume.

Keep it up Wingnut

Last edited:

owr084

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Passat GLS, 2005, Stonehenge Gray
OilHammer and MOGolf for their tireless efforts to identify and find a fix to the balance shaft problems of the 04/05 Passat TDIs

leicaman

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Golf TDI SE, 2005 TDI GLS, RIP
I too will nominate Oilhammer and MOGolf for their helping B5.5 TDI owners get more out of their cars. A more friendly, professional, passionate pair of TDI'rs I have yet to find. I had Oilhammer fix my Passat this summer and he is one heck of a technician. I also admire MOGolf's complete command of the parts system on the B5.5.

VeeDubTDI

Wanderluster, Traveler, TDIClub Enthusiast
TDI
‘18 Tesla Model 3D+, ‘14 Cadillac ELR, ‘13 Fiat 500e
Even though they work on them for money, both of them (especially MOGolf) have donated a lot of their time to club members who were in a pinch.

owr084

Top Post Dawg
TDI
tomo366 said:
The reason they can not win (oil hammer and Mo Golf)is because they work on these cars for Money..........
True, they do. But, the advice alone they give FREELY to everyone here, in my book is still more than enough to qualify them for the award. And they have not gotten a penny for the the pdf of the remove/replace procedure for the balance shaft module. That pdf has been used by mechanics all over North America. Even VW mechs use it!

This is one case where "free" advice is worth a lot more!

Last edited:

mrchill

TDIClub Enthusiast, Super Secret Diesel Ninja Vend
MASS! home of THE WORLD SERIES CHAMPION RED SOX! x
TDI
96 B4v red \ 98 Mk3 green\98 Mk3 Jetta black\ 99 Mk4 Jetta green x2\ 99 Mk4 Golf silver x2\ 99 Mk4 Jetta black\ 97 B4 sedan green\04 JSW gold\03 JSW silver
Ah....but it has always been for those who DO NOT receive money. Otherwise lots of people would have been eligible. I agree for several reasons that there should be some sort of award for the folks that receive money, but it probably shouldnt be the BUG*PWR award.

leicaman

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Golf TDI SE, 2005 TDI GLS, RIP
Somehow they should be recognised for their efforts, even if merely a certificate of appreciation, althought they both deserve more than that.

VW Derf

Administrator
Staff member
TDI
2010 Blue Graphite Pearl Golf Variant
There is no doubt some of the 'non amateurs' have done a lot of great work as well, and for that we are all thankful to these people. I know I am!
However, this specific award is for the 'amateurs' out there. I put that in quotes as I see these guys like amateur radio operators. The skills and knowledge is not amateur, it is just that they just don't accept money for their services.
Keep those emails coming everyone and if you want to send me both an amateur and non-amateur suggestions that works too.

PeterV

TDIClub Enthusiast, HO5G Doyen & Zen Master
TDI
2000 Jetta 5 sp.
Here we go again.

Fred perhaps the steering commitee might review some future plans in this arena.

Lug_Nut

TDIClub Enthusiast, Pre-Forum Veteran Member
TDI
idi: 1988 Bolens DGT1700H, the other oil burner: 1967 Saab Sonett II two stroke
The base root of "amateur" is ama, love. Someone who does something for the love of it, not for financial gain.
"Amateur" says nothing about the degree of competency or level of skill.

VeeDubTDI

TDI
PeterV said:
Here we go again.

Fred perhaps the steering commitee might review some future plans in this arena.
If this issue keeps coming up year after year, then I would say that it's time to listen to the masses and create an appropriate award for the pros who go out of their way to service the community's needs.

Please note that I'm not trying to diminish the importance of the BUG*PWR award. I think that it's an outstanding award and it means a lot to the TDIClub community, past, present, and future.

I'm merely stating that I think it's time for an outstanding professional award to recognize those individuals who keep our cars rolling down the roads.

And that's all I have to say about this subject. Let's keep this thread on topic and limit the discussion to the BUG*PWR award nominations. :)

Last edited:

Growler

Got Soot Vendor
TDI
Schmutz, 2015 Golf Sportwagen DSG & Schnurren, 2001 Golf GL 2 door 5M
Agreed, and The hammering of Oils and the Golf of MO should be the first to get it for their collaboration on the B5.5 Balance Shaft issue. IMHO.

mrchill

TDIClub Enthusiast, Super Secret Diesel Ninja Vend
MASS! home of THE WORLD SERIES CHAMPION RED SOX! x
TDI
96 B4v red \ 98 Mk3 green\98 Mk3 Jetta black\ 99 Mk4 Jetta green x2\ 99 Mk4 Golf silver x2\ 99 Mk4 Jetta black\ 97 B4 sedan green\04 JSW gold\03 JSW silver
Guys....the list would be too long. This is why its limited to donated time and effort only. Because while many do it, only a few give as much as the past nominees. As far as repair guys, we get thanks all the time, not just in the form of money, but also constant praise on the boards. The BUG*PWR nominees rarely get that even though they so richly deserve it. See why theres an award?

paramedick

TDIClub Enthusiast, Vendor
TDI
2015 Audi Q5 TDI
mrchill said:
Guys....the list would be too long. This is why its limited to donated time and effort only. Because while many do it, only a few give as much as the past nominees. As far as repair guys, we get thanks all the time, not just in the form of money, but also constant praise on the boards. The BUG*PWR nominees rarely get that even though they so richly deserve it. See why theres an award?
Concur. My award nomination has been E mailed to fred@tdiclub.com. HINT!!!!!

Last edited:

Hamsterdiesel

TDIClub Enthusiast , Veteran Member & HO5G CoFound
TDI
1999 Golf IV, Black and now 2015 Reflex Silver Passat SE
SnowCub said:
Can we nominate a previous winner of the award, for another award this year?
Don't see why not... it's another year - another year of doing good.

Hamsterdiesel

TDIClub Enthusiast , Veteran Member & HO5G CoFound
TDI
1999 Golf IV, Black and now 2015 Reflex Silver Passat SE
mrchill said:
You know, you'd be on the "Guru Award" list, too. :) I can't tell you how many cars would have been stranded at my house if you hadn't stepped in...for free.

Lug_Nut

TDIClub Enthusiast, Pre-Forum Veteran Member
TDI
idi: 1988 Bolens DGT1700H, the other oil burner: 1967 Saab Sonett II two stroke
The list of those that donate time and effort is equally large. There are currently only nine BUG*PWR honorees, there are probably ninety that are equally, if not more deserving of that same accolade.
I've not yet run out of candidates.

VeeDubTDI

TDI
Let's stop talking about other awards and nominate some more folks for BUG*PWR. :)

Zippy_car

Trouble Maker
TDI
Previously:'02 Jetta. Now: '13 Subaru XV Crosstrek!
My thoughts are concurred with chill and VeeDub for the outstanding professional award. that would be a great way to add another something fun and appreciating to the community so we have so many.

My nomination has already been sent in privately.
but i'd do a +1 for wingnut also. :D

owr084

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Couldn't hear who won the award, but he was not there at the dinner. He is relatively new to TDIClub - 2 years or so.

Oilhammer and MOGolf did get the first Service award thought :)