Recommended service interval - 2009 Jetta

tvandoms

TDI
1999.5 Jetta
Hi all;

I traded in my 2006 Jetta TDI for a 2009 back in October. One of the features the salesman mentioned was the longer service interval, and sure enough, in the manual it says that I can go 15K kms inbetween services. But my service indicator light just came on at 8000 kms, and when I called the dealership they said that 8000 kms is the recommended interval for our climate (Edmonton). So I was a bit ticked off to say the least. What service intervals are other people using in the Edmonton area?

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
Your 2009 has the same service intervals as your 2006 did.

Have you ever looked in the owner's manual for either car?

The only difference is the newer cars dropped the first oil change service, but everything else should be the same.

Oil change/tire rotation every 10k miles or 16k kms, every other service gets a fuel and cabin filter, and every 4th service and air filter.

Your 2009 does require different oil than your 2006. 507.00 versus 505.01.

ruking

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 VW Jetta, 5 M, Reflex Silver: 09 Jetta, 6 Sp DSG, Candy White: 12 VW Touareg, 8 Sp A/T, Flint Gray
tvandoms said:
Hi all;

I traded in my 2006 Jetta TDI for a 2009 back in October. One of the features the salesman mentioned was the longer service interval, and sure enough, in the manual it says that I can go 15K kms inbetween services. But my service indicator light just came on at 8000 kms, and when I called the dealership they said that 8000 kms is the recommended interval for our climate (Edmonton). So I was a bit ticked off to say the least. What service intervals are other people using in the Edmonton area?
I am sure you would find the service reminder "blinking" so to speak, annoying for the next 8,100 km. So do a search for the procedure to reset. When you bring the vehicle in for service, they will reset anyway, so no harm, no foul. Or perhaps the 2nd poster can give the procedure from memory.

Last edited:

oilhammer

TDI
Some dealers change the mileage setting for the SRI, to get you to bring the car in more often.

On the older cars, it went off early for that first interval, and then at the second service interval, it is supposed to be reset to the longer interval, but dealers rarely would do that.

I think the instructions for changing it can be found in this thread, or one of the links in this thread:

http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=192241

Once the interval is set, then it merely needs to be REset at every service, like normal. Which in Canada should be every 16k kms (someone please correct me if I am wrong, we are in the stone-age world of the King's measuring system still here :rolleyes: ).

tvandoms

TDI
1999.5 Jetta
Thank you both for the replies.

Indeed I have looked at both manuals for both cars, but only have the 2009 manual at present. Please forgive me if I am being obtuse. The manual says the intervals are 15K kms, but the dealer service guy says that for our northern Canadian climate, 8K kms is strongly recommended. What I would like to know is if other people from Alberta/SK/MB with 2009 'Clean Diesel' TDIs do the service at 8K or more like 10K or 15K, the latter being what the manual recommends. The salesperson also told me when I purchased the car that the 'clean diesel' needed fewer regular servicings than my 2006 PD TDI did, which is one of the reasons I traded in my 2006 (that and because I went back to an automatic trans).

Thank you also for the information regarding the difference in oil type required for the 2009.

oilhammer

TDI
I am sure your car will be fine with the VW (the company, not the dealer) recommended services with anything Canada can throw at it.

If you have an automatic, it too needs servicing every 4th service as well. So in all actuality, your new car needs MORE service than your old one, if your old one was a stick. :cool:

tvandoms

TDI
1999.5 Jetta
Thanks for your help and information. Hm, I forgot about the autotrans servicing - it's been over 10 years since I drove anything but a stick shift :)

DarthVWader

TDI
2014 Jetta TDI
I'm in Calgary and the stealership wanted me in every 5000km due to our harsh climate. I told him I would see him around 12000 or 13000.
Just another cash grab.

SASK_TDI

TDI
2009 Platinum Grey Jetta Sportwagon
I have to agree that it is probably a dealership cash grab.:mad:

I bought my car in Regina and they go with the 15k service interval. I needed to have my oild changed at the dealership in Saskatoon this last time and they service reminder said 8K.

As long as you go with what the manual says, you will be OK with VW.