2004 Passat Glow Plug Indicator?

Boiler84

TDI
2004 Passat Wagon GLS TDI
I just brought my 2004 Passat Wagon GLS TDI home from NY to Omaha. The instrument cluster does NOT have an indicator for the glow plugs. I am concerned that on really cold days I will start the car too soon. How do 2004 Passat owners know when the glowplugs are off?

MOGolf

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 Golf GLS TDI Reflex silver, rough road suspension and steel skid plate, 2004 Passat Variant, Candy White, rough road suspension and geared balanced shaft module, and much, much more. 2016 LR RR HSE TD6, 2019 Jaguar I-PACE
lol, of course they have glow plugs. And they have an inidcator on the instrument cluster. A line with two loops in it. On the tachometer, right side of center. It should briefly light when you turn the key to on. It won't stay on very long in most cases.

The light does not indicate when the glow plugs are on or off. It just indicates when the ECM says it is warm enough to start. Whent it is off, the car is ready to start.

It will flash when an non-emission fault is detected (has nothing to do with the glow plugs). If one or more glow plugs are not working the check engine light will be on (one of many causes for that light to be on).

Boiler84

TDI
Not Seeing the Light

I have looked in the book and on the dash. I do NOT see the glowplug indicator. I will look again as I expect to see it!:confused:

johnboy00

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Passat Wagon, 2004 Jetta, 2003 Jetta wagon
Remember, unlike the non-PD TDIs, the PDs use ceramic glowplugs which result in the light being lit for only one or two seconds even when the outside temperture is 20 degrees F.

Boiler84

TDI
Found It!

Boy, do I feel stupid! Drove the car 1100 miles and never saw the glowplug indicator. It was right where you all said it was. Thanks! Getting to know the car and really falling in love with it. Not as much as my fiance, but it is close!:D