Car runs fine until you cut it off- Will not crank

DM344

TDI
BEETLE TDI
I need help. I have read many fine post from knowledgeable contributors .
VW 2002 new Beetle ALH engine. Using B90 and runs fine until you turn it off.
It will not start,have been towed home for a second time.
I have replaced relay 109,checked for "on" position of the anti shudder valve,
the glow plug light comes on and then off.
I then tried to put a vacuum at the incoming hose at the fuel filter and do not get any fuel.
I am now back at the fuel pump on top of tank to try to see if it is stopped up.
I cannot understand How to remove the 2 hoses and the electrical socket on top of the fuel pump.
Please provide detailed directions to do this.
Also any ideas of possible problem??
Thanks in advance.
DM344

Correction: Car will not start.Battery and starter working fine.Also has a new fuel filter.
The first time this happened,towed to a mechanic and cost $350.00. He said he removed the fuel pump,cleaned the filter,removed the B90,replaced with regular diesel fuel, vacuumed the air from the fuel lines,
Car ran about 3 weeks and same thing happened.
I need instructions on removing hoses and connector from top of fuel pump.
thanks

Last edited:

Joe_Meehan

Top Post Dawg
TDI
NB TDI, 2002.5, Silver
It appears this has happened more than once. What got it working again previously?

Naimanator

Veteran Member
TDI
Silver 2002 Golf GLS TDI
You say it "runs fine until you turn it off". Are you saying that it will start and run in the morning or whenever the engine is cold, but then once it has been driven and the engine is hot it won't crank over? If you can clarify this for us, the conditions under which it will and won't start, then it will be easier for us to help you.

Naimanator

Veteran Member
TDI
Silver 2002 Golf GLS TDI
If the problem is that it just won't crank when the engine is hot, it sounds like your starter motor is getting weak and needs to be replaced.

Lefty

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta, 2000,Green GLS
Have you changed the fuel filter on time? Running BIO and running on an older filter can cause no start. Bad battery can cause it also. Or even bad ground connections.