Shifter question

Intech

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta GLS, 1999.5 Golf 2 dr
Information needed. On my 99.5 Golf, I found out that it has a Mk3 shifter and linkage, because when I wanted to put an Audi TT short shifter in it, I was told, that while possible, it would not be worth the cost.My question is this:Is it a MK 3 or a MK4 transmission, and if it is a MK3 can a MK4 be bolted in its place?If so, I can than get the Audi shifter

Windex

Top Post Dawg
TDI
05 B5V 01E FRF
It's a MK4 transmission (02J) with the earlier MK3 (02A) shifter linkage to be precise.

I converted my B4V to the later style 02J shifter, and would do so again in a heartbeat - I found it to be that much more precise.

Note, I also upgraded mine with the TT shifter "golf club" to shorten fore/aft throws (does nothing for side to side)

to convert yours, you would need the shift lever from inside the car and the attached cables, the cable retainer bracket from the top of the transmission, the cable ends, the "golf-club" weight from the top of the transmission and most importantly, the sector/shift shaft that goes down into the transmission. You may also need the vw emblem piece (bottom of the transmission) that the above sector shaft sits in.

These parts are not TDI specific - they can come from any manual 02J jetta or golf.

There are two styles of shifter end as well - pin end and ball-end. The pin end are more common for when you may need replacement parts. Parts can be sourced at almost any junkyard.

A conversion well worth it in my opinion, especially if you are able to do the labor yourself. Others think not.

Intech

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta GLS, 1999.5 Golf 2 dr
It's a MK4 transmission (02J) with the earlier MK3 (02A) shifter linkage to be precise.

I converted my B4V to the later style 02J shifter, and would do so again in a heartbeat - I found it to be that much more precise.

Note, I also upgraded mine with the TT shifter "golf club" to shorten fore/aft throws (does nothing for side to side)

to convert yours, you would need the shift lever from inside the car and the attached cables, the cable retainer bracket from the top of the transmission, the cable ends, the "golf-club" weight from the top of the transmission and most importantly, the sector/shift shaft that goes down into the transmission. You may also need the vw emblem piece (bottom of the transmission) that the above sector shaft sits in.

These parts are not TDI specific - they can come from any manual 02J jetta or golf.

There are two styles of shifter end as well - pin end and ball-end. The pin end are more common for when you may need replacement parts. Parts can be sourced at almost any junkyard.

A conversion well worth it in my opinion, especially if you are able to do the labor yourself. Others think not.
A super thank you, and I will not be doing the work. However, I now know what has to be done, and will proceed to do it as soon as possible. Again thank you very much

RexNICO

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Tiguan, 2011 Q7
... These parts are not TDI specific - they can come from any manual 02J jetta or golf.

As noted, these are not TDI specific parts, so you would have more luck finding used parts for the conversion over on the vortex.

Good luck

Windex

Top Post Dawg
TDI
05 B5V 01E FRF
One more thing - the connector for the reverse lamp switch is different - you would need to get one of those to replace the one in your car to make the reverse lamps work again after the swap.

RexNICO

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Tiguan, 2011 Q7
Last edited:

ToddA1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'96 B4V, '97 B4 (sold), '97 Jetta (scrapped)
I kept the reverse pigtail stock, but changed the reverse switch. I think it was a $2 part, for an A2. I’d rather not cut wiring, if not needed.

-Todd