Defective 2001 Jetta Brakes ?

Neal

Veteran Member
Brought my 2001 Jetta GL TDI with under 15,000 miles to the dealer for my last free maintenance. Had them look at brakes and was told my pads are worn out and the rotors are too worn / rusty to reuse but they could replace all 4 for $700 which was not covered under my warranty as they are a "wear" item. Told them no way and left. I drive easy and coast to a stop and do not ride the brakes at all. In my other cars my brakes last quite a while. While I live in 140 inches of snow this winter Syracuse, NY, I haven't driven the TDI this winter to expose it to the slush.
I realize the stealership was attempting to molest me, but isn't 15,000 miles just a bit premature for a complete brake replacement ? Is complaining how to VW corporate worth the trouble ?
I guess then my affordable option is to replace the brakes myself - how hard are these to do for a first timer ?
What better quality aftermarket parts from where as well as brake tools do you recommend ? I briefly checked on line at Adirondack parts and 4 rotors & pads was about $300 - reasonable ?- seems expensive compared to the GM brakes.
Anyhow, I would appreciate any assistance guys!

Variant TDI

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Golf Variant, Reflex Silver
Rear brakes were notorious for wearing out quickly in earlier cars.
There's no way, unless the caliper is stuck, that your front brakes should be gone already.

Just going on the info you provided (the internet is awful like that
), if the rotor is 'rusty' after a lengthy drive, it means that the caliper is messed up.

Also... I, personally, do not replace every disk that gets scored. It all depends on how severe the scoring is. If you catch it on the first day (or so) that it begins grinding, it's not fatal. I also do not believe in resurfacing rotors, unless they pulsate. The new pads might take an extra hundred miles to bed in, but you won't end up resurfacing your rotors until they are too thin to use anymore.

Dealerships are notorious for bringing up "Brakes". They are a safety system, and they can feed off of your fears. With the exception of the rear calipers (which need to be screwed/pressed back in), inspecting and maintaining auto brakes is almost as easy as maintaining bicycle brakes.

MITBeta

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 Jetta TDI, 2004 Sprinter CDI Passenger (Mid/High), former: 1996 Passat TDI Variant
Even if all the pads were worn and the rotors needed replacing, there's no way it should cost anything close to $700 to have them all replaced...

ACHTUNG TDI

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Jetta GLS Sedan, Silver (sold); 2016 Jetta TSI 1.8t Sport, 5 sp, LP; 2014 BMW 328d xDrive Sport Wagon (wife's)
Call the VW 800 customer service number. I don't know it off hand but it's in your manual. Complain to them. This work has been repaired under warranty after approval from VW on 2001 Jettas. Your vehicle was in at 10,000 miles I assume for free service. If brakes were wearing that fast the dealer should have noticed. A TSB was issued on the rear brakes on 2001 vehicles as the pads used a soft material and wore quickly. At 24,000 miles I complained that my rear pads were almost worn out, and the dealer replaced them for about $40 after calling the 800 number. My rotors were fine as I was aware of this problem from where else: Fred's TDIClub!!

Drivbiwire

Zehntes Jahr der Veteran
TDI
2013 Passat TDI, Newmar Ventana 8.3L ISC 3945, 2016 E250 BT, 2000 Jetta TDI
New rotors are $26.00-$30.00 NEW, Lifetime pads from Autozone $50.00 per axle

Paint the NON CONTACT areas of the rotors before installing them. Cost for all four wheel should be under $200.00 using ALL NEW PARTS.

PS Replace the fluid every 2 years with DOT4 Brake fluid.

DB

Neal

Veteran Member
Thanks guys ! Just got off the phone with the stealership service manager whom I had view the VW TSB C46-0001 of 11/27/2000 about premature rear brake pads wear. He said it had nothing to do with warranty work just helpful hints to the tech ! Usual BS. It's is too cold right now to work outside to check the brakes but this is starting to make me mad. No way at 15,000 should you need new brakes in easy street driving !
Guess I can waste more time by calling 1-800 VW customer service. If i have to do it myself - how hard is it and what tools do I need - have only done simple GM discs before ? I checked archives - not a lot to guide a newbie on brake replacement.

Variant TDI

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Golf Variant, Reflex Silver
Fronts are Easy. Same idea as the GM. (I've done Lumina brakes, and they were cake.)
Rears are a bit harder. Get the tool, or borrow it from someone. It's not worth trying to jerry-rig something, and end up damaging the boot, or caliper.

Unless your disks are badly scored, or pulsate, you shouldn't have to replace them.

Front disks are held onto the hub with a philips setscrew. At 15k miles, it should come right off. If not, drill off only the head. When the disk comes off, there should be enough screw shaft to grab with some vicegrips, and turn it out.

Rear disks IIRC, are the same as the front now. They used to be disk, hub, and bearing, all in one.

If you do end up getting new disks, be sure to get ALL of the anti-rust coating off of them. Scrub them with a scouring pad, and leave them wet. "Enough" scrubbing is when the disk gets a light coating of rust after a few minutes. If this coating is not removed, it will infuse itself into the pad and rotors, and will hurt performance.

Snowman

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Jetta TDI
Just got off the phone with the stealership service manager whom I had view the VW TSB C46-0001 of 11/27/2000 about premature rear brake pads wear. He said it had nothing to do with warranty work just helpful hints to the tech ! Usual BS.
Here's a helpful hint for the SM... read the TSB! It says under subject "Rear Brake Pads, Worn Prematurely"

I would also suggest reading to him/her the definition of premature...
"Premature - 1. Occurring, growing, or existing before the customary, correct, or assigned time; uncommonly or unexpectedly early.

jaydhall

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Passat SE, 1999 NB, 1999.5 Jetta GLS, 2004 Jetta
My 99.5 Jetta has 110,970 on the original brakes. I thought I heard a squel tonight, but was mistaken!