2006 Jetta

goodmonkey

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Passat TDI, 2011 Touareg TDI
Picked this up today to replace my '96 B4V. With 228k miles, it is 4k overdue for a timing belt change. I plan on parking it until I get that done, hopefully in a few weeks. I'm curious if anyone on here owned it. Last registered in Mount Pleasant, SC. Looks to have been a single owner who did some upgrades on it at 144k. Picked it up near Myrtle Beach.

I was going to save this name for a gray car if I got one, but I'm going to use it on this one. It will be Ghost. My wife likes it, and says it is appropriate as I bought it on Halloween.

Last edited:

goodmonkey

Veteran Member
TDI
Sunroof Drain Leak

It is raining this morning, and I went to the car for something. Noticed how it smelled, and started looking around. Found water on the upper C-pillar, and I'm not too happy about it. Confirmed the back floorboard on that side also wet. Wonder if this will require the headliner to come down to fix. A shame, as the headliner seems in good shape. Nose was pointed up hill, so I turned the car around to see if it will keep it out for now.

Last edited:

cobra390t

Veteran Member
TDI
06 VW Jetta BRM 5SPD ,2005 Passat TDI Wagon( SOLD ), 05 Mk4 Golf BEW , 04 MK4 Golf BEW , MPG Who cares It's a Diesel
Nice looking TDI ... Sunroof drain's are clogged . Do not used compressed air to clean open them up either ...

goodmonkey

Veteran Member
TDI
weed eater line from the drain exits back up.....push the crap the opposite way it flows.....

Nice car
Thanks.

Yup, I've read about how to clean them, I've just never seen it on the C-pillar like that. For the rear drains it is from the bottom up, for the front drains it is from the top down. This per the Bentley service manual. It is a low priority if the front drains work, easy enough to back in for a few weeks.

Last edited:

goodmonkey

Veteran Member
TDI
Life with a BRM

Replaced the timing belt yesterday, took me longer than I'd like to admit. Nearly 8.5 hours of work, but it is done. Torsion value is off, as it was 0.5 before and -2.9 now, but I'll sort that out later. Intake hose popped off when backing out of the garage, so I got to hear what that problem is like. Easy fix though.
Found this while working on it. At first I thought it a rat's nest, but on closer inspection it looks to be a shredded belt.

Saw this too. Wonder if it is an issue.

Last edited:

goodmonkey

Veteran Member
TDI
Radio Change Out

This week I replaced this:

With this:

The exact name of the radio I'm not certain of. I think it is just an updated RCN-210, though some sites also call this the RCD-320. I bought it through AliExpress, and I like it so far. I hope to give a write up on how I did it, and a full list of features and how to use it. Until then, just enjoy the picture. :)

Last edited:

goodmonkey

Veteran Member
TDI
Clearing the sunroof drains did not do the trick. I finally had to throw a tarp over the car and drive the JSW. Once I was back in town and had the time, I would tackle the issue. That is what I did this weekend. I dropped the headliner and there I saw what the issue was with the back drains. The tubing had collapsed just enough to allow water to pass through the coupling and the tube, which allowed the water to travel down the outside of the tubing. If my job will hold up or not is yet to be seen.

After I got the headliner back up I removed the seats. I shampooed the carpet with our Spot Bot in hopes to get not only any mold out of the carpet but any smell too. In the end there is a wet dog smell coming from the back right corner. I'm working on getting rid of that with the back seat bottom still out.

Last edited:

goodmonkey

Veteran Member
TDI
Finally going for it

This is going to be my next upgrade:

Now I just have to wait on my tool to arrive to program it.

Unfortunately does not appear that my sunroof drain is working on the left rear side still. It will be time to put tape over the sunroof until I have more time to work on it. I can't afford another day right now to take the headliner down again.

Last edited:

goodmonkey

Veteran Member
TDI
Instrument Cluster Upgrade

Tonight I went from this:

To this:

I played over the weekend with getting VCC to work. It did not work with my VCDS cable, so I had to wait for the VCC cable to come in. Got it working, and even with taking some screen shots I was able to do it in about an hour. The time on the cluster in the second picture isn't right, so no, it didn't take me all that time. I have no control over the screens yet, but the default one is what I'd most likely have up more times than not.

Last edited:

hardint

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 gl
How much of a PITA was the headliner removal ? My 06 has the sagging problem bad and want to recover it this spring,
You sure must have some spare time to work on it !!! Time is my missing element as well as my get up and go got up and went the last few years !!!
Where is your parts donor coming from ?
Good Luck, be sure to check the cam lobes out too.

goodmonkey

Veteran Member
TDI
Free time is an illusion anymore. I had to take a day off to drop the headliner, and last night's adventure was done after my daughter went to bed. I should have been doing other things but pushed them off because it would gnaw at me until it was done.

A look at the cam lobs is upcoming.

The headliner took about an hour an a half to drop, but I didn't take it out of the car. The DIY I was following failed to mention the clips and band around the sunroof, so that took looking at the repair data from ERWIN to figure that out. Putting it back up wasn't bad in itself, once I figured out how to bend the clips for the grab handles back into shape. Those are a big part of what hold the headliner up, and when I needed 8, two local VW dealerships only had 3.

Last edited:

CLLARK1

TDI
2010 SPORTWAGEN 06 JETTA
Just picked up an 06 myself.I am wanting to upgrade the cluster.They seem to be difficult to find.Where did you buy yours.

goodmonkey

Veteran Member
TDI
Just picked up an 06 myself.I am wanting to upgrade the cluster.They seem to be difficult to find.Where did you buy yours.
I picked it up from ebay. You are right, they aren't easy to find. I almost pulled the trigger on one out of a '09 before I realized the IMMO differences. If you can't find one there I'd start looking for others parting their cars out. There are other cooler options too, but a little harder to do.

goodmonkey

Veteran Member
TDI
Yet more "upgrades" coming

Here are a couple of the things I've picked up to install sometime soon.

That is a 30-byte highline CECM (suffix AJ) which could allow for some neat things like cornering fog lights (if I ever install them). From the plugs included I can see that the car it was pulled from didn't have factory fog lights.

Next to it is a MFSW, and now I have a problem. After purchasing this I decided to also buy a MFSW out of a GTI, this one with the flat bottom and more pronounced bolsters. It isn't in yet to inspect it, but I'm not certain which one I want to use and which to keep. I'm really leaning towards keeping the GTI one, and selling the one pictured above. If so I'll let everyone know. I have some time to decide: the steering wheel control module I ordered is coming from China, so I'll have most everything before that gets here.

Also still to arrive: single turn signal/cruise control stalk, and MFSW airbag harness. That last one I'm certain I'll have to take apart my old one to integrate it all, as I'm certain I'm going to find I have a two connector air bag, where I could only find the single connector harnesses.

Next to ponder: fog lights (wired into the CECM), upgraded the CCM (not certain I really need to other than to see options in the MFD), rain/light sensor with or without the auto dimming mirror. I've not been impressed by the auto dimming mirrors in the NMS Passats, so I think I may go the no auto mirror route.

The duct tape over the sunroof seam has cut out the water from getting into the car. So that saves things and allows me to drive it without having to worry about a never ending battle with water and mold. I need to look into tires soon too. Other than that and an upcoming oil change I think things are going good, other than the plastic windshield washer hose. It needs repaired to help return full pressure to the nozzles.

Last edited:

goodmonkey

Veteran Member
TDI
When installing the MFD control stalk I also swapped out the steering wheel for the GTI one.

While I really liked the feel of it, I didn't realize just how much smaller the diameter of the wheel was. It impaired my view of the instrument cluster. The most likely could have been rectified by changing the way I sit, but I refuse to, so it came out. I'll have to put it up for sale soon.

When my new SWCM came in, I had the final piece to my puzzle. To get the MFSW to work, I had to merge these two cables, as I couldn't find the correct one for the two stage airbag setup.

While that worked, I did run into some other problems. It turns out the SWCM ending in CH does not support dual stage airbags. It really is as simple though as two pins are missing where the clockspring plugs in. I'm not going to try tackling that, instead I have a AJ version coming in sometime soon. So now I'm riding around with an airbag fault. What really irritated me though was the turn signal/cruise control stalk I bought was faulty. It would only signal left turns and the cruise control switch was reported faulty by VCDS. So tonight I took it all back apart, again, and put back in my dual stalk, which seems to work. And for anyone who wonders how to get that T8 screw out (I have NO kits with a T8), I just used the 2mm flat head screw driver that was part of my jeweler's kit. Worked fine for taking it out and putting it back in, though I would prefer a T8 so not to bugger it up anymore.

This is how it looks now. I miss the feel of the GTI steering wheel, but this one the view is so much better. I also appreciate having the bigger steering wheel because my power steering requires a reset that I've not been able to get out and do (but have driven the car 100 miles today). I'm trying out the vent GPS mount. For $7, I figured why not.

Last edited:

goodmonkey

Veteran Member
TDI
I've not made any real progress on the car, it has been a crazy year. So I keep driving it. I hope that things are changing soon and I can get some things done, like dropping the headliner to fix those lines finally.

I took her out on a 250 mile trip to pick this up though. It is my replacement for the Sportwagon.

Last edited:

goodmonkey

Veteran Member
TDI
Can you please post the steps you took to install the radio?
You can follow pretty much any how to out there on pulling out a MkV radio. The trick with the RNS-210 is the CAN-BUS connections. I've found this video which talks you through it. I bought my whole kit, wiring adapter and all, from AliExpress.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NvCwxehmoIA

goodmonkey

Veteran Member
TDI
Got some new goodies today! New under hood insulator, Volks-L, left and right fog lights, and part of the drivers knee cubby. I bought this trying to use up our Goodwill package card before it expires this month.

[A picture should be here]

The under hood insulator is probably the only thing that will get installed soon. I still have to buy the grill pieces and wiring for the fog lights, another part to install the cubby, and if I install the Volks-L then I have to take my RCN-210 out and put the Premium 7 back in. I'll figure it out eventually though.

Last edited:

goodmonkey

Veteran Member
TDI
Rns-315

After working nearly 9 hours on the sunroof drains over the past two days, I installed this RNS-315.

Hopefully I used enough silicone this time to keep the water out of the passenger compartment. For the rear drains it is all where the hoses connect to the rails, and I got to see what happens when you overload the drain rail (it goes over to the rail with the sunroof and drops onto the headliner).

I was surprised I could snag an used RNS-315 version D for $200. It has been a while since I've looked at them I guess. Maps is version 3, and I know they have released version 9. According to the outfit I bought it from, it was pulled from a 2013 Passat. I'm waiting for a mic and harness to come in to be able to use the Bluetooth Handsfree. Radio sounds pretty good. Will see in the morning if I need to replace my Gateway controller. I didn't realize when I bought one it was from a Bettle, and it didn't play very nicely with my car when I installed it. Went back to my original for now.

Last edited:

goodmonkey

Veteran Member
TDI
Fog Lights!

Got around to doing some work to the car this weekend. First up was to install these OEM projector fog lights. They are wired into the CECM and work like they should. With this CECM I was also able to set them up as cornering lights. Haven't done any driving after dark to see how well they work, but they defiantly have a good cutoff.

I also got around to finally adjusting the timing. I meant to do it shortly after replacing the timing belt about 10k miles ago, but left the Torsion value at -2.9. It was at -3.4 before I adjusted it. It was getting a little harder to start and producing more black smoke. That combined with only 39 MPG average got me to take care of it. Torsion value is now at 0.0, which was surprising to get that with the first adjustment. It starts a little faster now and produces less smoke, and power seems more linear vs a big boost around 1900 RPM.

Last edited:

goodmonkey

Veteran Member
TDI
Depo Projectors

Trying these things out. So far, not too bad. More to follow.

Last edited:

goodmonkey

Veteran Member
TDI
Light cut off and next project

NOTE: Pictures are on Google, and have disappeared before. If they do again, send me a PM and I'll try to fix.

As promised, here is more about the new lights. They are HELIX E-codes, with leveling motors. Now I have none of the controls for the auto leveling, and don't know that I will. I just swapped the H7 bulbs from the OEM lights into these. I'm debating trying some LED H7 bulbs just to try them out. I think I like the OEM light better, mainly because they aren't projectors. These don't allow enough scatter to the right so signs are lit up, and the cut off with the halogens look like it doesn't go as far. I've not actually tested against the OEMs though. I did see that on a fairly level run on the Interstate I was able to light up a reflector 10 seconds in front of me at 70 MPH, and that is just over 1000 feet. That isn't bad, but I don't know that I checked that same thing with the OEMs.

Here you can see the cut off against my garage door. Here I have the right adjusted just a little high, so the light steps up twice from left. I was trying this to see how it looked while driving.

Out on the road, it looks a little like this. On the right you see a street light, not a sign reflection.

Lastly, here is a picture of what is to be my next big project with the car. I'm going from single zone semi-automatic Climatic to dual zone full-automatic Climatronic, or at least I'm going to try.

Last edited:

goodmonkey

Veteran Member
TDI
RCD-330 Plus Installed

Last night I took an hour or so to install a RCD-330 Plus (version A) that I bought off ebay. Things I like: responsiveness, great reception (at least sitting in the driveway), getting back the delay of shutting down until I remove the key from the ignition (with other radios they turned off when I turned the ignition off), auto turning screen off, and quick connection BT. I don't think I'll miss the lack of a CD drive, but I will miss built in GPS functionality. Now I have to decide if I need to buy a dash top GPS unit or just use my phone.

goodmonkey

Veteran Member
TDI
Climatronic Swap

Initially when looking for a MkV Jetta I was looking for one with all the bells and whistles. The price that those cars commanded was more than I really wanted to pay, plus I was out of town most of the time I was looking. Adding to that the fact that there really aren't that many TDIs in my market for sale (that I've ever been able to find) I drove a few hours away to pick this one up. I've been happy tinkering with it since then, adding things here and there to get me where I wanted to be initially. After undertaking this modification though my wife wonders (as do I sometimes) why I didn't just pay the extra money initially.

A swap of this sort seemed too large an undertaking, until I saw posts from 2008 where maloosheck had done it to his, and I thought this could be something I could do. His rundown of the basic steps to complete it made it seem as easy as removal and replacement. I took the plunge rather quickly and after only searching a couple of nights bought a donor air box for the swap. After studying schematics, pin outs, as well various removal instructions, I decided to dive in. How long could this take anyway? Maloosheck said he could have done it in 3 days if he hadn't socialized.

For those who may be looking at this wondering what I'm doing, I'm swapping my Climatic, single zone, semi-automatic heater and A/C system for a Climatronic, dual zone, automatic heater and A/C system. Here is what I'm starting off with:

Most of the work around the center vent and steering wheel I've worked with removing before, but hadn't removed the center console, passenger airbag, or dashboard before. After only three hours in and progress like this, I'm thinking I'm doing pretty good.

It was somewhere in here that I noticed my drop light started to flicker, and noticed that the CFL housing had come apart. The light did drop earlier that day onto the garage floor. Maybe that did it in.

Progress slowed down at this point, as I moved to the engine compartment. I thought the heater hoses were hard to remove, but the A/C lines proved to be even more of a pain. The bolts holding the lines to the expansion valve were in there pretty good, and using my breaker bar there wasn't much room to move it, or to even get it in there. I had to stop and drive to Harbor Freight to pick up a longer 3/8" drive ratchet. Upon returning I was able to get the top line loose, but I broke the head off the blot on the lower line. I decided this was a good place to stop for the night, 8 hours or so after starting.

The next day started with a trip to Lowe's to try finding a suitable replacement bolt for the A/C lines. There I found a stainless steel bolt that looked like it would work great, so I went back and got to work on the inside of the car. After struggling to get the final air box bolt out, I stopped and looked at my donor air box. Now I had looked at it briefly before, and now saw what could be a show stopper, a damaged housing!

Getting the two air boxes side by side I started to take them apart to see what really made them different. The main difference is in the air distribution housing, fan assembly, and wiring harness. Further disassembled the assemblies until everything was out, and took the time to wipe mine down on the inside. My heater core looked better than the one from the donor, but my evaporator core was pretty dirty. I took the one from the donor air box, and started to put it all back together.

Finally, I have an air box that should work! The big difference (though unable to see it in this picture) is the series resistor unit that sits unused in my frankenairbox. At this point I still need to run the wiring from the auxiliary heater to the correct place in the wiring harness.

Wiring from the auxiliary heater to the air box wasn't that hard to do. Just twisted together some line (20 AWG, I couldn't get 21 AWG in time) and connect it to the heating unit, and the other end to the connector for the fan. I decided on red and green in part because it was two days before Christmas.

The expansion valve became the hardest part of this whole swap. My intention was to replace it with a new one, as I didn't at the time the compressor was changed in 2016. Unfortunately I was unable to get the line loose from the valve with force, PB Blaster, and the combination of the two. I started to drill out the bolt from behind, where I could better access it in the passenger compartment. After slow progress I stopped, and contemplated the likelihood of it breaking loose going down the road. Considering all I did to it and it didn't, I figured the odds were in my favor. I quit for the night and proceeded the next day.

Day 2 complete. To be continued...

Last edited:

goodmonkey

Veteran Member
TDI
Climatronic Swap, part 2 (because I had too many pictures)

Day 3 I manage to get the frankenairbox in without as much hassle as getting the original out. I then had to build a couple more wiring harnesses for the additional sensors. After repining the main connector for the ventilation controls, I decided somewhere around this point to hook the battery up and test out the servos. At first nothing worked, but it didn't take long to figure out that I needed another power source for just one more pin. With that it seemed all the servos were working, nothing was binding, and I was good to continue putting it back together. I also pulled a vacuum on the A/C system and 45 minutes after I shut the pump off it seemed to be holding around -20 PSI. This is about where I stopped and took Christmas Day off from the project.

Originally I hoped this would only take 2 days by itself for the swap, so I could do some additional things while the dash was out. Unfortunately time didn't work in my favor, so the only thing I did was swap the CCM, and look at repairing the driver's side heated seat. A few weeks ago I pulled the harness connector off a donor car at the local wrecking yard, and hoped to pull the pins to do a proper repair.

Unfortunately at this time my pin extracting skills with a small screwdriver and paperclip were foiled, and I resorted to a different tactic. After 20 years of working on VW's I think I may break down and buy some proper pin extractors. Until then this is my fix action.

Finally, near the end of the 5th day, I got it all back in!

I had to back it out of the garage at this point, and we took off for a small trip to go see my family. I've not been able to charge the A/C because it is too cold for the system to operate once we got back. It looks like the car may be sitting for another week until (hopefully) things warm up enough to charge the system. I also need to get out there and clear the codes from hooking the battery up with lots of things not hooked up. Along with an airbag fault and traction control light, I also have this. I did have some sensors disconnected in the engine compartment when I did that, but have them all hooked up now, I think. It was dark then, the car moved, and now it is cold.

Hope you enjoy the pics!

Last edited:

goodmonkey

Veteran Member
TDI
Non-picture update

No picture here, just wanted to say I braved the cold (for SC) and cleared the codes. I was also able to program all the remotes to the new CCM. Of note though, my horn for the alarm is no longer working. I have the coding turned off for the siren (as it was on initially) and still nothing when locking the doors or setting off the alarm. So for now it is lights only until I get this one figured out.

I'm also pleased to report my heated seat works. This is the first time I've felt it in this car. I've gotten quite used to using them in my truck this week.

goodmonkey

Veteran Member
TDI
A/C performance is just as good if not a hair better than before I did the Climatronic swap. Thinking of selling her though and going for a 2015 Passat. I've missed the size of the Passat over the Jetta.