Knurren, My 2003 Jetta Wagon 5 speed

Growler

Got Soot Vendor
TDI
Schmutz, 2015 Golf Sportwagen DSG & Schnurren, 2001 Golf GL 2 door 5M
I dunno, I quit going 5 years ago when I got the job in Gahanna and found the one in Lancaster...

phucking-low

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Jetta TDI
When i get b20 in columbus i go to englefeild oil station right off I70 at the wilson rd exit, its like 2 min soon as you get off the exit.

glitdi

Veteran Member
TDI
Tdi asv motor in a mk3 golf, om642 in a wk jeep
how is the colour difference? I am assuming you just found a person who wanted to swap. looks good but I miss the black grill and highlights.

bhtooefr

TDIClub Enthusiast, ToofTek Inventor
TDI
None
The headlights actually are black, but the Golf has more reflector area, so...

The color difference... from what I saw, you can notice it if you're looking for it specifically, but it's not really noticeable if you're not looking for it.

Growler

Got Soot Vendor
TDI
Washed,
Claybarred,
Waxed,
Pulled the bumper & grille,
popped off the hood notch filler,
popped out the bumper rubstrip,
Rubber undercoating on the OEM Golf Grille and rub strip.

GLITDI, Ask & you shall receive.

and finally, to this.

All ready for the GTG tomorrow at Whitbreads.

Growler

Got Soot Vendor
TDI
Installed the 92*C MK2 high temp Thermostat from the modified thermostat thread today. hoping to run the motor warmer sooner, and increase my mileage.

its been lower than expected since I purchased the car.

jbleu101

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Jetta TDi, GLS
Looks great. Glad you painted the rub strp to match. I have had a silver grill and a black grill and I really like the black better. Since I have two grill set ups and two sets of lower inserts, I may just run a summer face and a winter face. Car looks great!

jbleu101

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Jetta TDi, GLS
Oh, and I look forward to seeing our cars next to each other. Now, what face to put on....

Growler

Got Soot Vendor
TDI
I think the higher temp thermostat is working.

looking at my fuelly data, I am about 3-4 mpg higher than the same time last year. if this keep up, I will be very happy with this low dollar mod.

Growler

Got Soot Vendor
TDI
Interesting. Where did you get it? Link please. Thanks!
Go to your local auto parts store.

ask the loose nut behind the counter for a high temp thermostat for a 1986 8v Gasser VW golf or Jetta. and an o-ring seal for same.

there you go. have fun installing it.

Growler

Got Soot Vendor
TDI
Yesterday. Added a brand new Borg Warner VNT-17. Finally got to use my Kerma Clip Adapter. 178500 miles.

Here it is next to my original Turbo. still has ZERO shaft play.

Biggest difference in the BW unit versus the Garrett unit, at least externally, is the actuator setup.

and my datatag for posterity. looks like i got Serial No 00012.. I would say Im an early Adopter.

Growler

Got Soot Vendor
TDI
and an interesting observation. back in POST 38 I had Whitbread repair a downpipe for me. he supplied this new DP Gasket. guess it got a little hot. its a bit deformed over time with the heat.

took this gasket off my downpipe and replaced it with a more standard one.

Last edited:

Growler

Got Soot Vendor
TDI
See, you get to work on your own projects every once in a while.:)
Ya, I only had to schedule it out 3 weeks in advance...

Ill also be replacing my own timing belt this afternoon. yippee!

Last edited:

Growler

Got Soot Vendor
TDI
Knurren went on Friday to Dayton Ohio to pick up his new little buddy.. and my new daily commuter.

2001 Golf GL TDI. 162k miles and 5 speed. needs some maintenance and cosmetics, but runs like a sewing machine and shifts like butter.

looking forward to bringing this one up to speed and seeing what kind of mileage i can get out of it.

Growler

Got Soot Vendor
TDI
Today at 176k miles Knurren got a new 100k timing belt system installed. Also found a locked up alternator pulley and crunchy sounding serp idler roller. Took care of those as well. Thinking itll be good to go this winter for my wifes new daily. Still no name for the red one. Will wait until i figure out a name for it before i start one for it.

Growler

Got Soot Vendor
TDI
Lets see. Thursday after work, I stopped and filled up with B20.

Then I drove to UHaul and picked up this bad boy..

Its what Uhaul calls a Motorcycle trailer. Rented it for 2 days for a total of $50 with insurance.

Friday morning, I drove up to MOGolfs house and got him out of the cave called work that he has been hiding in so he could get some quality TDI Time in.

Following that MOGolf & I drove 350 miles to Grand Rapids Michigan to get this little gem out of the hole its been hiding in.

it liked where it has been, but a moving dolly, some 6' 2x4s a nice big pair of furniture dollys, and a come along along with some basic physics and the 3 of us were able to get the thing strapped down to the trailer.

It wasnt gonna budge with the 2 1000# straps holding it front to back and side to side.

Glen & I then said laters to Validius (who I bought this thing from) and headed toward Fowlerville for a visit with Marty & Sandy. (Jettah & his Lovely Wife)

we took in some dinner and settled down for some much needed rest.

Saturday morning, Glen & I went out to Breakfast with Marty and I had an omlette made with the fluffiest eggs ever.

We then stopped at a local station and filled up the car with some more B20 (averaged 35.0 mpg over the 480 miles of the trip to that point) this trailer was like dragging a billboard thru the air, I could tell it in the way the car was driving and in the EGTs and steady state boost being higher, and watching the fuel gage just going down wayyy too fast.

on the way home, I took this photo when we stopped for a break.

from there on we drove straight to Glens house so he could pick up his passat wagon so I could judge where this thing needed to go. we also called up bhtooefr and had him come by to help with the unloading.

Gravity was on our side this time so it came off of the trailer much easier. we loaded it onto the furniture dollys and made short work of getting it positioned in the garage.

once we got it positioned, tooef had to drive over it and get his cars photo taken in its normal position.. getting serviced..

I then took the trailer back to UHaul, then stopped at the B20 station that started it all to top off again and this time averaged 36.0 mpg over the 280 miles or so that were on that leg of the trip.

Overall, I am super happy with how my wagon handled the trailer, and the load. it was barely noticeable. how else could you tow such an awkward piece of equipment and still manage to get 35.5mg average over 750ish miles?

benIV

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 PG 5m Jetta GL Sedan, 2003 RS 5m Jetta GLS Wagon (Golf Variant)
that's a great find. i'd love to have something like that for my jetta.

Growler

Got Soot Vendor
TDI
Wagon has served my wife well this winter as her new Daily driver. She still averages mid 40s in the MPG department. I even get her to update Fuelly for me thru Text messages when she fills it up with its normal diet of B20.

It does have an occasional sticking rear caliper, and needs new tires for the 15" alloys that came on it. its time to get the 16" snows off really soon and time for an oil change.

ugh, it never ends. but I am loving this Wagon, as is my wife.

Growler

Got Soot Vendor
TDI
4/26/13 186,058 miles

Knurren got an Oil Change, Fuel Filter, and a G070 Gear oil replacement.

Busy day for me today, In addition to the above,

MODA the family Eurovan got an oil change, Tire rotation, and Hove conversion installed.

and Schnurren the Golf got an Oil change, Tire rotation, New Oil pan and Smoothie Hubcaps installed.

Have I mentioned how much I love my new lift?

Last edited: