Goodbye ECOdiesel - totaled while parked @ 429,466 miles

whitedog

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Jetta that I fill by myself
So if you transfer all of the things from an EcoDiesel into a non-EcoDiesel is the new car an EcoDiesel?

Or, to put it another way, "what makes it an EcoDiesel?" Is it the powertrain, or is it the heritage of the shell?

bhtooefr

TDIClub Enthusiast, ToofTek Inventor
TDI
None
ECOdiesel is a 1.6TD with a smaller turbo (K14 instead of K24), 8 mm pump instead of 9 mm (and no boost enrichment), newer head gasket design, catalytic converter, and the AVX code transmission (I forget what a normal 1.6TD had).

whitedog

Veteran Member
TDI
ECOdiesel is a 1.6TD with a smaller turbo (K14 instead of K24), 8 mm pump instead of 9 mm (and no boost enrichment), newer head gasket design, catalytic converter, and the AVX code transmission (I forget what a normal 1.6TD had).
So much a Philosophical look.:rolleyes:

RacerTodd

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Golf TDI

owr084

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Passat GLS, 2005, Stonehenge Gray
And that video!

Seeing her come around from the background and then up your street was like watching a scene from a horror movie! :eek: I probably won't stop thinking about your loss and that video for a few days...just shows how quickly and randomly anything can happen!
Kinda like "Jaws," which gives me an idea.

J & L - you should redub the video to use the theme from Jaws. That MPV cruising through the neighborhood was just like the shark looking for an unsuspecting victim. ;)

VeeDubTDI

Wanderluster, Traveler, TDIClub Enthusiast
TDI
‘18 Tesla Model 3D+, ‘14 Cadillac ELR, ‘13 Fiat 500e
That's a great idea. I actually had the jaws music in my head when I showed the video to someone last night.

DaveTDIpassat

TDI
1997 Passat
It took me a while to realize Compu_85 and VeeDubTDI knew each other. Now it makes so much sense! Sorry for your loss. Hope everything works out and something good comes out of this.

valvecrusher

Veteran Member
TDI
'96 Passat, '00 Jetta
parts for sale?

I have been looking for some parts...;)

I need a good dash..the turn signal /high beam (device) selector, cruise control...

Maybe some interior trim around the windows on the front?
Any chance you'll sell turbo? cylinder head + injection pump as a combo?
are the seats in good shape?

WHAT???!:eek:

too much? .... too soon? too soon?
;)
lol

(sorry!)
just had to take a poke at you guys....trying to lighten up the mood a bit..
:cool:

VeeDubTDI

Wanderluster, Traveler, TDIClub Enthusiast
TDI
‘18 Tesla Model 3D+, ‘14 Cadillac ELR, ‘13 Fiat 500e
LOL...

If we decide to part it out, we will start another thread in the for sale section. This is not going to turn into a part-out thread. :p

valvecrusher

Veteran Member
TDI
'96 Passat, '00 Jetta
really glad you saw the humor..
totally a jovial post in a bleak situation.

I got a odd sense of humor...so, pleased you 'got it'..:)

I figured i would 'take a stab' at a joke, I figured you wouldn't see that coming in under the radar!(not this soon)

If your insurance wants to talk to an ECO owner about perceived value, market selling price, or collectability...I'll be 'that guy'..
although mine is not for sale.
(so no pm me)

Just let me know if i can assist you at all with dealing with insurance..or whatever..

There are alot of good shape Mk2's around here..w-NC..cheap..

I hope you find another true ECO..
again, sorry about the '91...glad you and J weren't in it...and the kids weren't hurt either...

The video was SO riveting...and sick..

nkgagne

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Sportwagen 6M, 2006 Golf GLS TDI (sold)
Just brought my teenage daughter in here and made her look at the pics and watch the video.
That's the smartest thing I've heard in this entire thread! Good on you!

VeeDubTDI, I'm so sorry for your loss. I hope you and your adjuster can agree on a fair value, and that the parts go to good use! The vehicle itself has had quite a following here, and has covered a great number of miles. It has had a good run; it's just a shame it had to end this way. Nobody was injured but it's a tough blow when you're so attached.

megaladon6

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta GLS
you'll never get value from the insurance company. but i would take her to small claims court for the full $10K--value of the car, your time and troubles, your legal fees, etc.

where2

Veteran Member
TDI
One '13 JSW_TDI & One '04 Variant_TDI
My Condolences to the Eco owner... Find a Corrado shell for that engine. You'll be glad you did. :)

We've all been, or have had, teenagers that have had serious brainless moments. Teenage drivers eventually run into something - frankly I'm surprised it's not more often. We all just hope it's not us and that no one gets hurt.
Actually, I never ran into anything as a teenager, and don't have any kids. As a teen, I did have a friend of a friend whose 3 year old was hit on a residential street marked 25MPH by a car doing 45MPH. That greatly affected how I handled my cars on residential streets from that day forward. College physics classes gave me an appreciation for stopping distances and traction. Owning a '90 Corrado_G60 for the last 15 years gives me an appreciation for the difficulty the OP will have finding a "like" vehicle in similar condition. That was one of the deciding factors that led me to purchase the '04 Jetta_Wagon_TDI last fall, rather than putting my beloved garage queen Corrado back on the road as a daily driver. A Corrado with no rust, that is 97% original cannot be found to make that comparison, and not having receipts from a shop having done repair work on it (because I work on it myself), it's difficult to go to bat against an insurance company who wants evidence of the "value" for reimbursement purposes after you suffer a loss of this magnitude.

The OP needs to have copies of his vehicle photos prior to the accident, repair receipts, tire replacement costs, and even the receipt for the last fillup in hand when he deals with the insurance adjuster. Don't forget the expense of getting your last state inspections if VA still has those, and be sure to collect your license plate before the insurance company gets the title to the car. Be prepared to drop a junk stereo in the car if your stereo was worth anything more than $10.

In 10 years of marriage, I've lost two vehicles out from under my wife due to accidents. Fortunately, my wife was able to walk away from both of them. However, replacing the vehicles always cost more than I received as a settlement.

P.s. I always loved that color on the MkII chassis. Get G60ing (Frank) to help you find a Corrado shell...

oldpoopie

Vendor
TDI
2001 golf gl, 2006 jetta, 1981 ALH swapped rabbit pickup, 1998 beetle
Acrually you can tell she was hard on the brakes immediately after the hit. The rear tire is locked up.

whitedog

Veteran Member
TDI
Acrually you can tell she was hard on the brakes immediately after the hit. The rear tire is locked up.
J, I just looked again and it appears to be turning backwards. I think this is that "wagon wheel" effect in movies when the frame rate makes it look like the wagon wheels on the stagecoach are spinning backwards.

Also, why was the rear wiper on?

compu_85

Gadget Guy
TDI
... None :S
When she hit the wiper controls got waked I think.

Still trying to find a replacement. Several possibilities have been found, I've printed them up for the adjuster when they come on Monday.

There's a nice GLI just outside of DC that we want to take a look at, assuming the guy ever gets back to us.

-J

manual_tranny

Smyth Performance- Intern
TDI
2001 Golf @182K; 2000 Jetta @290K
I just saw this. No no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Abaddon2501

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta Wagon TDI Auto
+1 on getting a Corrado Shell!
That would be great. Also I agree anyone with kids should show them this video.

bhtooefr

TDIClub Enthusiast, ToofTek Inventor
TDI
None
The Corrado is the heaviest FWD Mk2 by a couple hundred pounds.

The 1.6 could do it, but it'd need heavy mods to not be on the slow side. (It can be done, though - there are 1.6s over 100 hp.)

The lowest-end Corrado in Europe had 139 hp and 123 ft-lbs - the Corrado 16v.

ymz

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI Wagon, 2003 Jetta TDI Wagon
If weight is a consideration, you could try to transplant the drivetrain into a Toyota... sort of an Echo-Diesel...

Yuri