2014 Passat TDI SEL - Another goodmonkey car

goodmonkey

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Passat TDI, 2011 Touareg TDI
Bought this today. The picture is one I took at the dealership on my way out. There were still a few things service needed to take care of to be certified (I asked to make it a CPO car), so it is supposed to be detailed and delivered to me tomorrow. Bought from Keffer VW in Huntersville, NC, with 70k on the clock. Emissions mod was completed last June. I finally have my white VW.

Ralftex

TDI
2003 VW Jetta, 2009 VW Jetta
I just made a deal on a 2015 VW Passat SEL and it is at a VW dealer. Has 26k mikes But how much did they charge you extra to be certified. This car was supposed to be certified but because of the price. $16,300. They didn’t want to do it and took certified off. I’ll upload a pic when I get it

goodmonkey

Veteran Member
TDI
Ralftex,

I sent you a PM about my CPO costs. Each market is a little different, but what you've stated so far from a VW dealership looks like a decent deal. I was going to go for a 2015 with 70k miles that was CPO, and it was just a couple hundred dollars more than that. It wasn't ready on my day off (going through emissions modifications) so I went to look at the 2014 and decided I liked it enough to pick up.

Car was delivered to my house today, and I've done my first mod and have my first maintenance action to do. The right DRL bulb burnt out since I bought it yesterday.

goodmonkey

Veteran Member
TDI
I've owned a few

Here is an update to a graphic I did in 2014. I don't know that I shared the original though. Some might recognize a few of them. The last 8 are all TDIs.

goodmonkey

Veteran Member
TDI
Its the small things

So far it has been small stuff done to the car. I changed the oil because I found out that the PO had allowed oil with a VW spec of 505.01 and not 507.00. Had somewhere less than 2k miles on that, so when the oil came in I did a topside change. I also changed out the DRL bulb, so now those work.

Looking at the lights I ordered some Night Breakers to go in the low beams, but then I found someone selling a used HID conversion kit from DeAutoLED, so once that comes in those will be in the lows instead. I may install the night breakers in the high beams or just save them until something burns out.

Another order of used stuff came in this week. In there the was a CargoMat for the trunk and Monster Mats along with some other things. Those were the two I was looking forward to the most, and they are in now. Gives the car a different look. This is a SEL, but also my daily driver.

Up next to ponder: To tune or not, look into the latest firmware for the RNS-510, rain/light sensor, and possible hard wire for the dash cam. It would be great to tackle that and the rain/light sensor at the same time. Oh, I also found out the drivers door puddle light is out, so I have to look into replacing that and how hard it would be to add them to the rear doors. A skid plate is also high on the priority list.

Because I do like ventilated seats, I tried a ventilated seat cushion. It did move a lot of air around, so in that respect I liked it. I did not though like the way it sat in the seat and I could just not get comfortable in the car with it. It also was hotter without the fans running than the regular seat, so that came out halfway through my commute and I'm just going to have to adjust my expectations for the seating. I'm not looking at a $1500+ upgrade on the seating yet, especially if I'm trying to work out in the budget doing a tune.

Last edited:

goodmonkey

Veteran Member
TDI
Tonight I updated the RNS-510 to SW-version 5382, which went quicker than I thought, under 25 minutes. I'm still seriously considering a RCD330G with Android Auto. A couple weeks ago the Passat was in at the dealer having the heater core replaced, so we took her car on a short vacation. We both used our phones with Google Maps and it helped a lot and was easier to enter addresses and get traffic updates than use her car's GPS.

UPDATE 11/4/18: I ordered a RCD330G and will try it out. I really wanted to go with the newest AVIN unit, but with no real reviews I passed. I may go that route eventually, depending on how the RCD330G works out.

Last edited:

goodmonkey

Veteran Member
TDI
Next Upgrade Hopefully

I got in what I've eyed for some time, for my older Passat when I had it and the Jetta too. The hardest part for this I see being getting the sensors in place. I feel comfortable enough to do the wiring and coding. This should of course work with the RNS-510 or the RCD-330G for the visual aid, or OPS. In absence of either of these I'll still get the audio feedback.

It could be a while before I get it in though. I still not tried out the RCD-330G.

JELLOWSUBMARINE

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Jetta Sportwagen, 6M, red/tan, navi, pano, 83 5m diesel pickup, 82 p/u trailer,.04 5.5 TDI Passat wagon (gone), 80,81,82 diesel p/u (gone), 80,82 sportruck (gone), 59 passthru bus (long gone), 79&87 westy (gone), 57 baja bug (long gone), 73 914

MattRabbit

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Golf SE TDI, 2014 Beetle TDI, 1981 Rabbit Diesel
Looks like a great car! Let me know about the RCD-330. My wife has a Beetle TDI that would benefit from one of these (though using Carplay instead of Android Auto).

I also just bought a white VW. I got a Golf SE TDI with lighting package @43K miles in January. So far I really like it. I thought I would miss my ALH, but other than the occasional pang of regret, I'm really enjoying the new car.

enjoy the Passat!

goodmonkey

Veteran Member
TDI
Thanks! My previous experience with the RCD-330 was mostly positive, though the mic location isn't the best it was still usable. That was in an A5 though. The Carplay models are are a little cheaper than the ones with Android Auto, or they were when I bought mine. Still have to install it.

htmiser

TDI
2009 VW Jetta TDI (sold); 2014 VW Jetta TDI; 2014 Passat SEL TDI
Hi there! I just bought a white 2014 SEL with 30k miles and warranty from Northern VA. So far, so good; I love it!
[/url][/IMG]

[/url][/IMG]

JELLOWSUBMARINE

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Jetta Sportwagen, 6M, red/tan, navi, pano, 83 5m diesel pickup, 82 p/u trailer,.04 5.5 TDI Passat wagon (gone), 80,81,82 diesel p/u (gone), 80,82 sportruck (gone), 59 passthru bus (long gone), 79&87 westy (gone), 57 baja bug (long gone), 73 914
Hi there! I just bought a white 2014 SEL with 30k miles and warranty from Northern VA. So far, so good; I love it!
[/URL][/IMG]

[/URL][/IMG]
very nice, I wish they came with a wagon