Help! Tranny cooler failure!

AKFatBoy

TDI
02 Jetta GLS
In the ongoing saga of TDI ownership, yet one more problem...
Apparently, the tranny cooler had an internal failure and mixed fluid with coolant. Can I just flush and refill, repair the cooler and press on, or do I need another trans? If so, which years can I get the donor from to ensure proper operation with the 02 TDI drivertrain?:(

AARodriguez Corp.

TDIClub Enthusiast, Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
2009 JSW and Golf 2004 TDI
Though this is not a definitive answer, a friend with a 1.9 2002 had this happen also. I don't know what all was done except that the transmission was ruined and had to be replaced.

chromeBuddha

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Golf TDI manual
Try a flush on both systems after the leak is fixed. Then probably a 2nd flush on the tranny. If it works, go with it. If you do replace the tranny, consider a 5-speed swap.

AKFatBoy

TDI
02 Jetta GLS
I had thought about the 5 speed, but don't have the skill set required to do it myself. I think the local shop up here said that if they could find a wrecked car they could do it for about $5000. They seem to be adamant that the donor is a 2002 TDI, apparently you can't just throw a manual out of a gasoline car in there(?).

chromeBuddha

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Golf TDI manual
I believe you can use the 5-speed out of any 99.5-2003 TDI, but yes, it does have to be from a TDI, not a gasser. The ratios are so different you would be defeating the purpose of having a diesel because you would be revving so high.

$5k? For that money you should just drive it down here and have someone do it for you while you take a cruise... Probably not worth the $ at that point...

AARodriguez Corp.

TDIClub Enthusiast, Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
2009 JSW and Golf 2004 TDI
I believe you can use the 5-speed out of any 99.5-2003 TDI, but yes, it does have to be from a TDI, not a gasser. The ratios are so different you would be defeating the purpose of having a diesel because you would be revving so high.

$5k? For that money you should just drive it down here and have someone do it for you while you take a cruise... Probably not worth the $ at that point...

$5k??? Shoot, I'd get a 6 speed kit from Ryan in the U.K. and have it installed by a professional for less than that I bet.

davidm2232

Veteran Member
TDI
92 4Runner-ALH Swap In Progress
i did the swap on my 2003 jetta with parts from a 99.5 tdi. everything fit fine. $5000 is over double what you should be paying. i got all the parts i needed for about $1500. http://www.kansascitytdi.com/, this guy only charges $800 for labor. your shop is ripping you off or they aren't very knowledgeable about the process. my advice is to flush both systems thourghly and hope for the best. if you knew the abuse my 01m was put through by the previous owner, you would be questioning how bad they are. update us after the flush.