governor

troutbum1971

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta TDI sold... 2012 Jetta TDI sold 13 JSW DSG w/ sunroof
Does anyone know if you can adjust the govenor or reprogram it? I can't get over the 123-128MPH

Thanks

troutbum1971

Veteran Member
TDI
HAHA, Maybe I should update where I live LMAO...

I'm in Germany now LOL

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Passat SEL, 2017 Alltrack SE; BB 2010 Sedan Man; 2012 Passat,
140hp or 170? I can't imagine it'd have much more in it to go much higher with out mods, torque can only get you so far.

corvettecrazy

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Jetta TDI manual
The 2.0CR mkv sedan's were drag limited to the 126ish mph range.

According to Car and Driver the 1.8T 2011 sedan is drag limited to 118mph. I wouldn't be surprised given the known differences between the 1.8T and the 2.0CR if the 2012 was drag limited to a speed of somewhere between 125-130.

Meaning the only way to go faster is by performance mods.

troutbum1971

Veteran Member
TDI
@troutbum1971 - I envy you.

HAHA why? because I get to drive fast? LOL:p

damn not really wanting to chip it yet, was hoping for a dealer way to raise the speed limit

but on a side note... i can set the cruise control the fast too :)

TDI_Timmy

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 JSW, DSG, Pano
HAHA why? because I get to drive fast? LOL:p
Fast is only part of it. I love the German roads - and the German drivers. I know there will always be bad apples but my two weeks driving around Germany I felt comfortable with the other drivers around me driving fast. There were a couple odd instances but I can count on both hands the number of dumb things just on my 3 mile drive to work.

troutbum1971

Veteran Member
TDI
Fast is only part of it. I love the German roads - and the German drivers. I know there will always be bad apples but my two weeks driving around Germany I felt comfortable with the other drivers around me driving fast. There were a couple odd instances but I can count on both hands the number of dumb things just on my 3 mile drive to work.

on the autobahn driving is good, in the city, not so much..

TDI_Timmy

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 JSW, DSG, Pano
Just reading through C&D review of 2011 Jetta TDI and they printed off a top speed of 130MPH. Seems like it may be drag limited as corvettecrazy suggested above. I don't know for sure about that, but at 4K you are at peak HP but well on the other side of the torque curve. A tune would probably help you go faster - how many cars are passing you when you are going that fast?

As Elfnmagik said - "no more steam"

n1das

TDIClub Enthusiast, Veteran Member
TDI
2014 BMW 535xd ///M-Sport, 2012 BMW X5 Xdrive35d, former 3x TDI owner
From what I recall in a thread about the speed limiter and ECUs in previous generations of TDIs is that the max speed can be tweaked somewhat using VCDS (VAG-COM). It's thru one of the adapation channels available. The gotcha is it can only be adjusted DOWNWARD, not upward. So if you adjust it downward at all, you can't raise it back up. If you adjust it too far down and it cripples driving at "normal" highway speeds, you still can't raise it back up. New ECU time. (Or maybe reflash it with a tune might fix it?). IIRC, in the Mk4 TDIs in the USA, the limit is set at 190km/h (~ 118MPH).

Like others said, it's a combination of the engine running out of breath and hitting the electronic limit.

Good luck.

Last edited:

NickBeek

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat TDI 2006 Dodge Ram
The one time I tried to stretch mine out a little, a bird hit the windshield at about 110 mph, a split second later the phone rang through the speakers in the car and I almost had a "wardrobe malfunction"!! lol Luckily I am old enough not to knee jerk react to things like this... I just let off the go pedal and coasted down to a "reasonable speed". About the time I reach said reasonable speed, a county sheriff came over the hill in the opposite direction. He did not see me doing anything wrong. :D

I did see a video on you tube where a person filmed himself holding a stead speed of about 130mph presumably in Germany. Then again, they have more HP then we do.... :(

40X40

Experienced
TDI
2013 Passat SEL Premium
I seem to recall one of the most respected tuners on here assuring us that the 2006 Jettas did not have a governed top speed.

I do not know if your newer car has one or not.

Bill

troutbum1971

Veteran Member
TDI
Just reading through C&D review of 2011 Jetta TDI and they printed off a top speed of 130MPH. Seems like it may be drag limited as corvettecrazy suggested above. I don't know for sure about that, but at 4K you are at peak HP but well on the other side of the torque curve. A tune would probably help you go faster - how many cars are passing you when you are going that fast?

As Elfnmagik said - "no more steam"
a few actually, but it's fast enough, i would like be to able to hit 130-140 MPH just because but i can still get around germany at 120 LOL

Elfnmagik

Veteran Member
TDI
Currently De-Dub'd
Just out of curiosity, I wonder if the engine's stock torque could even pull a taller gear at that high of a speed (if not limited)?