Drive to Oregon

nois

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat SEL
Driving to Astoria to spend time with friends.
We're traveling I-80, I-15, I-84.

Any tips, warnings, or recommendations for us?

I am not expecting the weather to present any travel issues through the mountains this weekend.

Does anyone carry extra fuel on long trips for the unexpected (like a 5gal jug).

VeeDubTDI

Wanderluster, Traveler, TDIClub Enthusiast
TDI
‘18 Tesla Model 3D+, ‘14 Cadillac ELR, ‘13 Fiat 500e
I've never carried extra fuel on a road trip, except for the one time I bought 10 gallons of biodiesel at a GTG. Totally unnecessary unless you don't pay attention to the fuel gauge.

Have a great trip! The weather should be great. :cool:

DonL

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Jetta TDI wagon (BEW)
The range is so great I have never had a problem, even in rural Nevada. (What part is not rural?)

Driving from Portland to Astoria, going up I-5 to Longview then over the bridge to Rainier and down to Astoria is quicker than out Hwy 30 the whole way and not much less scenic.

Almost all diesel in Oregon has biodiesel in it.

It is still winter in Astoria and will be until July. That does not mean snow, just cold winds, sideways rain and sometimes days that are incredibly sunny and beautiful.

jetlagmech

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 jetta
drove twice in last few months from seattle area to las vegas down 84. On 84 at the Idaho/Oregon border the fuel was cheaper at the Loves truck stop 10 miles into Oregon than it was in Idaho, but the food there was not good.

Oregon requires attendants to fuel at gas stations but you can pump the diesel yourself. The attendant has to start the diesel pump though and they will fuel it if you want them to.

if you have time, just before Portland is Multnoma Falls along I-84. A scenic spot to streatch legs before your final leg to Astoria

Last edited:

DonL

Veteran Member
TDI
Oregon diesel

The rule about the attendant starting the pump is a station rule, not the law. Some stations will not let you pump your own diesel, I drive on.

Best route between Las Vegas and Portland or Seattle is up through Tonapah, Austin, Winnemucca, Prineville, Government Camp. Fuel is plentiful the whole way.

Along the Gorge, on I-84 are lots of real nice spots worth stopping at, including Multnomah Falls. Cascade Locks is pretty impressive too. Best view is to boat from Bonneville Dam to Astoria. Truly fantastic.

nois

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat SEL
drove twice in last few months from seattle area to las vegas down 84. On 84 at the Idaho/Oregon border the fuel was cheaper at the Loves truck stop 10 miles into Oregon than it was in Idaho, but the food there was not good.
Oregon requires attendants to fuel at gas stations but you can pump the diesel yourself. The attendant has to start the diesel pump though and they will fuel it if you want them to.
if you have time, just before Portland is Multnoma Falls along I-84. A scenic spot to streatch legs before your final leg to Astoria
The rule about the attendant starting the pump is a station rule, not the law. Some stations will not let you pump your own diesel, I drive on.
Best route between Las Vegas and Portland or Seattle is up through Tonapah, Austin, Winnemucca, Prineville, Government Camp. Fuel is plentiful the whole way.
Along the Gorge, on I-84 are lots of real nice spots worth stopping at, including Multnomah Falls. Cascade Locks is pretty impressive too. Best view is to boat from Bonneville Dam to Astoria. Truly fantastic.
Thanks for the advice! I heard the attendants get perturbed if you get out at the fuel pump in Oregon. I remember New Jersey stations having that rule, too. Anyone know why?
I was planning to stop at Multnomah Falls along the Columbia River Highway. I found it on a website: http://www.columbiariverhighway.com/historic_columbia_river_highway.pdf. I'll look into Cascade Locks, too.
Heading out tomorrow morning and plan to be west of Omaha by nightfall. We'll be at Golden Spike tower in North Platte Friday at 10am. Wife wants to go to Arches National Park in Utah on the way. I read the speed limit is 80mph in part of Utah.
I'll keep you updated. Should I post some photos here?

whitedog

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Jetta that I fill by myself
Is this a scenic trip or a destination trip? If time isn't a problem, you could head West in Ontario on Hwy 20, then turn North in Bend, following Hwy 97 To the Dalles. You can still hit Multnomah Falls that way.

Or continue on Hwy 20 to the Ocean and turn right.

You could also travel Hwy 20 from Newport Or. to Boston Ma.

nois

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat SEL
Is this a scenic trip or a destination trip? If time isn't a problem, you could head West in Ontario on Hwy 20, then turn North in Bend, following Hwy 97 To the Dalles. You can still hit Multnomah Falls that way.

Or continue on Hwy 20 to the Ocean and turn right.

You could also travel Hwy 20 from Newport Or. to Boston Ma.
This is a scenic trip. I like to get off the interstate when it's worth it. Is Hwy 20 four lane? If I go from Bend to Salem to Astoria, it only adds 2.5 hours as opposed to going up I84. We could go to Multnomah Falls on the way home. Are there any hills on Hwy 20? Not used to hills.

Waynoooo

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Golf TDI
If you are going 84 through parts of Montana/Wyoming, be aware that there are parts where there is NO speed limit. The signs say something like "use reasonable caution". The cops enforce it based on weather conditions and the condition of your vehicle. If you are in a newer TDI, FLOOR IT!!! There are not many chances to really open these cars up. Enjoy the drive!

By the way, I am from Oregon, so if you have questions, ask. It has been a while since I have been home, but some things never change. Astoria is gorgeous, no matter the time of year. If you have the time, visit some of the winery's in the Willamette Valley (Newburg, Yamill, McMinnville areas). you will not be sorry.

If you are a beer drinker, then Portland or the Rouge River valley is the place for you. Downtown Portland (near the Farmers Market) has some of the best brew pubs I have ever been to, outside of the UK.

Enjoy your trip.

Waynoooo

nois

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat SEL
If you are going 84 through parts of Montana/Wyoming, be aware that there are parts where there is NO speed limit. The signs say something like "use reasonable caution". The cops enforce it based on weather conditions and the condition of your vehicle. If you are in a newer TDI, FLOOR IT!!! There are not many chances to really open these cars up. Enjoy the drive!

By the way, I am from Oregon, so if you have questions, ask. It has been a while since I have been home, but some things never change. Astoria is gorgeous, no matter the time of year. If you have the time, visit some of the winery's in the Willamette Valley (Newburg, Yamill, McMinnville areas). you will not be sorry.

If you are a beer drinker, then Portland or the Rouge River valley is the place for you. Downtown Portland (near the Farmers Market) has some of the best brew pubs I have ever been to, outside of the UK.

Enjoy your trip.

Waynoooo
We went through Montana in 2007 and hit a deer on I90. I had slowed down to 75mph by the time we hit and fortunately (for me) the deer was running such that I only hit it's rear quarter with the front right corner of the car. Had one headlight and a bunch of magpies for the rest of the trip. Just passed a deer crossing sign not a quarter mile before. It was at night and now I don't travel after dark when possible.

Any particular micro-breweries you recommend?

whitedog

Veteran Member
TDI
If you want Micro-brews, that's another reason for Hwy 20. It's 2 lane from Ontario to Salem. There is a mountain pass going to Salem, but you won't even know it. The thing to do is stop in Bend and inquire about the Pass conditions. If it's Snowy, then you can go North to 84.

nois

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat SEL
What blends of Bio are commonly available in Oregon?
Need B5 or less.

DonL

Veteran Member
TDI
"Are there any hills on Hwy 20? Not used to hills."

Uh, yeah, one or two. One thing you can count on anywhere in the west is hills.

Arches NP is amazing. You might also consider whether Mesa Verde is in your itinerary. That is one of the problems, there is just so much to see.

As far as I know, all Oregon diesel is 2 % biodiesel, except Portland which mandates 5 %. If the pump is not labeled, the blend is 2 %. All 5 % or higher blends are supposed to be labeled with the amount within 1 %, unless 20 % or more, then they must be within 2 %.

You should not have a problem anywhere in the state.

VeeDubTDI

Wanderluster, Traveler, TDIClub Enthusiast
TDI
‘18 Tesla Model 3D+, ‘14 Cadillac ELR, ‘13 Fiat 500e
I remember New Jersey stations having that rule, too. Anyone know why?
Because they don't want the Real Housewives of New Jersey setting themselves on fire and causing a scene. ;)

Waynoooo

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Golf TDI
I agree with the Highway 20 comments...the Santiam pass is beautiful. For micro brews, I like the Rogue River brews and the Widemer brews. The both have pretty good websites. The others (especially in Portland) you will find by walking around downtown near Portland State University...there are a bunch of them. Enjoy!

nois

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat SEL
I agree with the Highway 20 comments...the Santiam pass is beautiful. For micro brews, I like the Rogue River brews and the Widemer brews. The both have pretty good websites. The others (especially in Portland) you will find by walking around downtown near Portland State University...there are a bunch of them. I things Enjoy!
Thanks for the suggestions. I think we will be taking hwy20 from Ontario to Salem.
We just stopped in Grand Island, NE for the night.

Or Turbo Diesel

Veteran Member
TDI
1995 Passat GLX Wagon, 2003 Jetta
If you have a smart phone, I would recommend the app called "Gas Buddy". It's free, locates fuel and price wherever you go. It makes finding diesel at a favorable price a snap.
Also you should try the app "Waze", also free. It's social GPS. Others using it give you reports on the traffic, accidents, even police reports. The more people use it the better it works. You can make reports too.

Fueling depends on the station's rules. I always get out to make sure things are proper; if the station won't let me pump my diesel, I just don't return. Works great.

I prefer Black Butte Porter, a smooth, dark beer with a hint of chocolate and roasted finish. Brewed in Bend. More info: http://www.deschutesbrewery.com/brew/black-butte-porter

If you have time to visit Astoria, hit the Astoria Column. You get a great view from up there, don't forget the camera.

If you stop at Multnomah Falls, don't try it on a sunny weekend! The parking lot gets packed, I have seen cars lined up on the freeway, waiting to get into the parking lot.

Another possibility is Hot Springs! http://www.hotspringsenthusiast.com/USsprings.asp

And last, if there is time, visit Powell"s city of books:http://www.powells.com/
Yes, you can buy the hot spring book you will need!

Have a great trip. You can contact me if you have any problems or questions. If you want my phone # just ask. I'm a lifetime resident, with Vag-com.

FrozenTDI

TDI
2003 blue Jetta; 2003 silver 2 dr Golf; 2003 red 4 dr Golf
I grew up in Oregon and think there is much beauty in this State. When you take in Multnomah Falls, also do the senic bypass that takes you past Crown Point and a significant number of other less famous falls. There is some outstanding craftmanship on the old highway as you will see. I hope the weather is kind to you. A sunset from Crown Point is breathtaking!

Technically you can pump the diesel in Oregon because it is not a class 1 flammable. It just depends upon the station you decide to fuel with how they handle the question. I included a link with some "why they did it info" and then the nitty gritty cut and paste law. If you are trying to log exact MPG or want to verify they are not adding gas to your diesel, or gouging the paint with the end of the nozzle, you may want to supervise the fueling...

http://www.ktvb.com/news/i-wonder/I-Wonder-Why-cant-you-pump-your-own-gas-in-Oregon-82256587.html

480.310 Definitions for ORS 480.315 to 480.385. As used in ORS 480.315 to 480.385:
(1) �Class 1 flammable liquids� means liquids with a flash point below 25 degrees Fahrenheit, closed cup tester.
(2) �Nonretail facility� means an unattended facility where Class 1 flammable liquids are dispensed through a card or key activated fuel dispensing device to nonretail customers. [Amended by 1991 c.863 �48]

480.315 Policy. The Legislative Assembly declares that, except as provided in ORS 480.345 to 480.385, it is in the public interest to maintain a prohibition on the self-service dispensing of Class 1 flammable liquids at retail. The Legislative Assembly finds and declares that:
(1) The dispensing of Class 1 flammable liquids by dispensers properly trained in appropriate safety procedures reduces fire hazards directly associated with the dispensing of Class 1 flammable liquids;
(2) Appropriate safety standards often are unenforceable at retail self-service stations in other states because cashiers are often unable to maintain a clear view of and give undivided attention to the dispensing of Class 1 flammable liquids by customers;
(3) Higher liability insurance rates charged to retail self-service stations reflect the dangers posed to customers when they leave their vehicles to dispense Class 1 flammable liquids, such as the increased risk of crime and the increased risk of personal injury resulting from slipping on slick surfaces;
(4) The dangers of crime and slick surfaces described in subsection (3) of this section are enhanced because Oregon�s weather is uniquely adverse, causing wet pavement and reduced visibility;
(5) The dangers described in subsection (3) of this section are heightened when the customer is a senior citizen or has a disability, especially if the customer uses a mobility aid, such as a wheelchair, walker, cane or crutches;
(6) Attempts by other states to require the providing of aid to senior citizens and persons with disabilities in the self-service dispensing of Class 1 flammable liquids at retail have failed, and therefore, senior citizens and persons with disabilities must pay the higher costs of full service;
(7) Exposure to toxic fumes represents a health hazard to customers dispensing Class 1 flammable liquids;
(8) The hazard described in subsection (7) of this section is heightened when the customer is pregnant;
(9) The exposure to Class 1 flammable liquids through dispensing should, in general, be limited to as few individuals as possible, such as gasoline station owners and their employees or other trained and certified dispensers;
(10) The typical practice of charging significantly higher prices for full-service fuel dispensing in states where self-service is permitted at retail:
(a) Discriminates against customers with lower incomes, who are under greater economic pressure to subject themselves to the inconvenience and hazards of self-service;
(b) Discriminates against customers who are elderly or have disabilities who are unable to serve themselves and so must pay the significantly higher prices; and
(c) Increases self-service dispensing and thereby decreases maintenance checks by attendants, which results in neglect of maintenance, endangering both the customer and other motorists and resulting in unnecessary and costly repairs;
(11) The increased use of self-service at retail in other states has contributed to diminishing the availability of automotive repair facilities at gasoline stations;
(12) Self-service dispensing at retail in other states does not provide a sustained reduction in fuel prices charged to customers;
(13) A general prohibition of self-service dispensing of Class 1 flammable liquids by the general public promotes public welfare by providing increased safety and convenience without causing economic harm to the public in general;
(14) Self-service dispensing at retail contributes to unemployment, particularly among young people;
(15) Self-service dispensing at retail presents a health hazard and unreasonable discomfort to persons with disabilities, elderly persons, small children and those susceptible to respiratory diseases;
(16) The federal Americans with Disabilities Act, Public Law 101-336, requires that equal access be provided to persons with disabilities at retail gasoline stations; and
(17) Small children left unattended when customers leave to make payment at retail self-service stations creates a dangerous situation. [1991 c.863 �49a; 1999 c.59 �160; 2007 c.70 �276]

480.320 Use of coin-operated pumps and dispensing of gasoline by self-service declared hazardous. The installation and use of coin-operated dispensing devices for Class 1 flammable liquids and the dispensing of Class 1 flammable liquids by self-service, are declared hazardous. [Amended by 1959 c.73 �1]

480.330 Operation of gasoline dispensing device by public prohibited; aviation fuel exception. An owner, operator or employee of a filling station, service station, garage or other dispensary where Class 1 flammable liquids, except aviation fuels, are dispensed at retail may not permit any person other than the owner, operator or employee to use or manipulate any pump, hose, pipe or other device for dispensing the liquids into the fuel tank of a motor vehicle or other retail container. [Amended by 2001 c.285 �1]

480.340 Coin-operated or self-service gasoline pumps prohibited; automatic shut-off devices regulated; aviation fuel exception. An owner, operator or employee of a filling station, service station, garage or other dispensary where Class 1 flammable liquids, except aviation fuels, are dispensed at retail may not install or use or permit the use of:
(1) A coin-operated or self-service dispensing device for the liquids.
(2) A device that permits the dispensing of the liquids when the hand of the operator of the discharge nozzle is removed from the control lever, except one equipped with an automatic nozzle of a type that has been approved by the State Fire Marshal and that has a latch-open device as an integral part of the assembly, capable of shutting off the flow of the liquids reliably when the tank is filled or when the nozzle falls or slips from the filling neck of the tank. A person may not use an automatic nozzle to dispense the liquids unless the owner, operator or employee is in the immediate vicinity of the tank being filled. [Amended by 1959 c.73 �2; 2001 c.285 �2]

480.345 Conditions for operation of dispensing device by certain nonretail customers. Notwithstanding ORS 480.330 and 480.340, the owner, operator or employee of a dispensing facility may permit nonretail customers other than the owner, operator or employee to use or manipulate at the dispensing facility a card activated or key activated device for dispensing Class 1 flammable liquids into the fuel tank of a motor vehicle or other container under the following conditions:
(1) The owner or operator shall hold a current nonretail facility license issued by the State Fire Marshal under ORS 480.350;
(2) After April 1, 1992, a nonretail customer shall purchase at least 900 gallons of Class 1 flammable liquids or diesel fuel from any source during a 12-month period or, if the amount of such liquids or fuel purchased is less than 900 gallons annually, file documentation that:
(a) The fuel qualifies as a deductible farming expense on the customer�s federal income tax return; or
(b) The fuel was purchased by a governmental agency providing fire, ambulance or police services;
(3) The nonretail customer shall provide a federal employer identification number or equivalent documentation to indicate participation in a business or employment with a government agency or nonprofit or charitable organization;
(4) The nonretail customer, other than the owner or operator, dispensing Class 1 flammable liquids shall be employed by a business, government agency or nonprofit or charitable organization and shall dispense Class 1 flammable liquids only into the fuel tank of a motor vehicle or other container owned or used by the business, government agency or nonprofit or charitable organization;
(5) The nonretail customer, other than the owner, operator or employee, dispensing Class 1 flammable liquids shall have satisfied safety training requirements in compliance with rules of the State Fire Marshal; and
(6) The owner or operator shall enter into a written agreement with nonretail customers permitted under this section to dispense fuel at the nonretail facility. Except as otherwise provided in ORS 480.355, the agreement shall at a minimum:
(a) Certify that the nonretail customer will purchase at least 900 gallons of Class 1 flammable liquids or diesel fuel from any source during a 12-month period or, if the amount of such liquids or fuel purchased is less than 900 gallons annually, file documentation that:
(A) The fuel qualifies as a deductible farming expense on the customer�s federal income tax return; or
(B) The fuel was purchased by a governmental agency providing fire, ambulance or police services;
(b) Provide a federal employer identification number or equivalent documentation to indicate participation in a business or employment with a government agency or nonprofit or charitable organization;
(c) Certify that the nonretail customer is employed by a business, government agency or nonprofit or charitable organization and that the nonretail customer shall dispense Class 1 flammable liquids only into the fuel tank of a motor vehicle or other container owned or used by the business, government agency or nonprofit or charitable organization;
(d) Certify that the nonretail customer has satisfied safety training requirements in compliance with rules of the State Fire Marshal; and
(e) Require the nonretail customer to submit a sworn statement, as defined in ORS 162.055, that the information supplied in the agreement is true and correct. [1991 c.863 �50; 1993 c.469 �7; 2001 c.328 �1]

480.347 Use of gasoline dispensing device by emergency service worker; conditions. Notwithstanding ORS 480.330 and 480.340, during an emergency as defined in ORS 401.025, the owner, operator or employee of a dispensing facility may permit nonretail customers, other than the owner, operator or employee, to use or manipulate at the dispensing facility a card activated or key activated device for dispensing Class 1 flammable liquids into the fuel tank of a vehicle or other container if:
(1) The owner or operator holds a current nonretail facility license issued by the State Fire Marshal under ORS 480.350;
(2) The fuel is dispensed to an emergency service agency as defined in ORS 401.025 or to an entity authorized by an emergency service agency to provide services during an emergency;
(3) The nonretail customer, other than the owner or operator, dispensing Class 1 flammable liquids is an emergency service worker as defined in ORS 401.025 or an owner or employee of the entity authorized by the emergency service agency to provide services during an emergency and dispenses Class 1 flammable liquids only into the fuel tank of a vehicle or other container owned and used by the emergency service agency or the entity authorized by that agency to provide services during an emergency; and
(4) The nonretail customer, other than the owner, operator or employee, dispensing Class 1 flammable liquids satisfies safety training requirements in compliance with rules of the State Fire Marshal. [1999 c.456 �2]

480.349 Use of gasoline dispensing device by motorcycle operator. (1) As used in this section, �motorcycle� has the meaning given that term in ORS 801.365.
(2) Notwithstanding ORS 480.330 and 480.340:
(a) Upon the request of an operator of a motorcycle, the owner, operator or employee of a filling station, service station, garage or other dispensary where Class 1 flammable liquids are dispensed at retail shall set the fuel dispensing device and hand the discharge nozzle to the operator of the motorcycle.
(b) An operator of a motorcycle who is handed a discharge nozzle under paragraph (a) of this subsection:
(A) May dispense Class 1 flammable liquids into the operator�s motorcycle.
(B) Shall, after dispensing the liquids, return the discharge nozzle to the owner, operator or employee.
(3) The owner, operator or employee who is handed the discharge nozzle shall return the nozzle to the pump or take any other actions necessary to ensure safe completion of the fueling operation. [2001 c.344 �2]

Note: 480.349 was added to and made a part of 480.315 to 480.385 by legislative action but was not added to any smaller series therein. See Preface to Oregon Revised Statutes for further explanation.

480.350 License required for operation of nonretail facility; application; fee; term; renewal; disposition of fees. (1) Except as provided in ORS 480.355, a nonretail facility shall not operate without a license issued under this section.
(2) The State Fire Marshal shall issue a nonretail facility license to a person if the person submits an application to the State Fire Marshal on a form approved by the State Fire Marshal for each nonretail facility and the application includes:
(a) A statement that the applicant will comply with the requirements of ORS 480.345;
(b) A copy of the form that will be used by the applicant as the agreement required under ORS 480.345 between the applicant and nonretail customers permitted to dispense fuel at the nonretail facility;
(c) A sworn statement, as defined in ORS 162.055, that information supplied in the application is true and correct; and
(d) An application fee of $250.
(3) The applicant for a nonretail facility license shall bear the burden of proof that the requirements of this section and of any rules of the State Fire Marshal adopted to implement this section are satisfied.
(4) In addition to any license or renewal fees, a licensee shall pay an annual fee of $5 for each nonretail customer that enters into a written agreement with the owner or operator of the nonretail facility under ORS 480.345.
(5) A license issued under this section shall be valid for a period of one year from the date of issuance.
(6) A license may be renewed upon payment to the State Fire Marshal of an annual license renewal fee of $250.
(7) All fees received by the State Fire Marshal pursuant to this section shall be deposited with the State Treasurer and shall be placed in the State Fire Marshal Fund. [1991 c.863 �51; 1995 c.79 �292]

480.355 Conditional use license; qualifications; application; review of denial. (1) Notwithstanding ORS 480.345, upon application from the owner or operator of a nonretail facility, the State Fire Marshal may issue a conditional use license under which the nonretail facility may permit persons who are not qualified as nonretail customers under ORS 480.345 (2) to (4) to dispense Class 1 flammable liquids at a nonretail facility.
(2) In issuing a conditional use license, the State Fire Marshal may waive the nonretail customer requirements of ORS 480.345 (2) to (4), but may not waive safety training requirements contained in ORS 480.345.
(3) The State Fire Marshal may issue a conditional use license under this section if the State Fire Marshal determines that:
(a) There is no facility where Class 1 flammable liquids are dispensed by attendants at retail within seven miles of the nonretail facility, and other undue hardship conditions exist, as may be determined by the State Fire Marshal by rule; or
(b) The nonretail facility exists on property used as a private, nonprofit golf club not open to the general public and the private, nonprofit golf club members who are not qualified as nonretail customers use the nonretail facility only for the fueling of vehicles that are used exclusively on the property of the private, nonprofit golf club and are not designed for highway use.
(4) The State Fire Marshal shall consider comments of local residents or local government bodies to determine if undue hardship exists.
(5) The provisions of ORS 480.345 and 480.350 apply to a license application made under this section, except those provisions whose applicability is waived by the State Fire Marshal under this section.
(6) The applicant for a conditional use license shall bear the burden of proof that the requirements of this section and of any rules of the State Fire Marshal adopted pursuant to this section are satisfied.
(7) The State Fire Marshal shall investigate any application made under this section and hold at least one public hearing to determine if the conditional use license should be issued. The State Fire Marshal may waive the requirement for a hearing if the application for a conditional use license is made by a private, nonprofit golf club.
(8) Any person who makes application as provided for in this section, and whose application is denied, shall be entitled to a hearing upon request. The hearing shall be conducted as a contested case hearing pursuant to the applicable provisions of ORS 183.413 to 183.470.
(9) Judicial review of an order made after a hearing under subsection (7) of this section shall be as provided in ORS 183.480 to 183.497 for judicial review of contested cases. [1991 c.863 �56; 1995 s.s. c.3 �35; 1996 c.11 �2; 1997 c.463 �1; 1999 c.95 �1; 2001 c.104 �220; 2001 c.285 �3]

480.360 Exemption from gallonage requirements of ORS 480.345. Any person who was a customer of a facility that is issued a license under ORS 480.350 and was a customer on and since June 30, 1991, and who qualifies as a nonretail customer under the provisions of ORS 480.345, shall be exempt from the gallonage requirements set forth in ORS 480.345 (2). [1991 c.863 �50a]

480.365 Suspension, revocation, refusal to issue or renew nonretail facility license; procedure. In accordance with ORS chapter 183, the State Fire Marshal may revoke or suspend or may refuse to issue or renew a nonretail facility license if the State Fire Marshal finds that an applicant or a person to whom the license was issued:
(1) Falsified the application for the license; or
(2) Failed to comply with any provision of ORS 480.315 to 480.385 or any applicable rule adopted by the State Fire Marshal. [1991 c.863 �52]

480.370 Subpoenas for investigation; effect of failure to comply. (1) The State Fire Marshal may issue subpoenas to compel the production of records, documents, books, papers, memoranda or other information necessary to determine compliance with any provision of ORS 480.315 to 480.385 or any rule adopted by the State Fire Marshal.
(2) If a person fails to comply with any subpoena issued under subsection (1) of this section, a judge of the circuit court of any county, on application of the State Fire Marshal, shall compel obedience by proceedings for contempt as in the case of disobedience of the requirements of a subpoena issued from the circuit court. [1991 c.863 �54]

480.375 Safety inspection of facilities by State Fire Marshal; audit; investigation of law violations. (1) The State Fire Marshal shall conduct an annual safety inspection at all nonretail and dual operations facilities dispensing Class 1 flammable liquids to determine if the facility is operating in compliance with the provisions of ORS 480.315 to 480.385 or of any applicable rule adopted by the State Fire Marshal.
(2) The State Fire Marshal shall conduct annual audits of at least five percent of all nonretail accounts to determine if nonretail facilities are in compliance with the provisions of ORS 480.315 to 480.385 and any applicable rule adopted by the State Fire Marshal.
(3) The State Fire Marshal shall have the same authority to enter into all buildings and upon all dispensing facilities for the purpose of inspection as is specified in ORS chapter 476 relating to inspection of fire hazards.
(4) Upon receiving a complaint, or upon the State Fire Marshal�s own motion, the State Fire Marshal shall investigate whether a violation of any provision of ORS 480.315 to 480.385 or of any applicable rule of the State Fire Marshal has occurred. [1991 c.863 �53]

480.380 Rules. In accordance with applicable provisions of ORS chapter 183, the State Fire Marshal, in consultation with the Department of Environmental Quality, shall adopt rules:
(1) Necessary for the administration of ORS 480.315 to 480.385;
(2) Establishing standards for the design, construction, location, installation and operation of retail, automated or dual operations equipment for storing, handling and dispensing Class 1 flammable liquids at any dispensing facility; and
(3) Establishing standards for public and environmental safety in the operation of nonretail facilities and establishing safety training requirements for nonretail customers authorized to dispense Class 1 flammable liquids at nonretail facilities. [1991 c.863 �57]

480.385 Civil penalty for gasoline dispensing law violations. (1) The State Fire Marshal may impose a civil penalty not to exceed $500 for each violation of any provision of ORS 480.315 to 480.385 or of any applicable rule adopted by the State Fire Marshal.
(2) A civil penalty imposed under this section shall become due and payable 10 days after the order imposing the civil penalty becomes final by operation of law or on appeal. A person against whom a civil penalty is to be imposed shall be served with a notice in the form provided in ORS 183.415. Service of the notice shall be accomplished in the manner provided by ORS 183.415.
(3) The person to whom the notice is addressed shall have 20 days from the date of service of the notice provided for in subsection (2) of this section in which to make written application for a hearing. If no application for a hearing is made, the State Fire Marshal may make a final order imposing the penalty.
(4) Any person who makes application as provided for in subsection (3) of this section shall be entitled to a hearing. The hearing shall be conducted as a contested case hearing pursuant to the applicable provisions of ORS 183.413 to 183.470.
(5) Judicial review of an order made after a hearing under subsection (4) of this section shall be as provided in ORS 183.480 to 183.497 for judicial review of contested cases.
(6) When an order assessing a civil penalty under this section becomes final by operation of law or on appeal, and the amount of penalty is not paid within 10 days after the order becomes final, the order may be recorded with the county clerk in any county of this state. The clerk shall thereupon record the name of the person incurring the penalty and the amount of the penalty in the County Clerk Lien Record.
(7) All amounts recovered under this section shall be deposited with the State Treasurer and shall be placed in the State Fire Marshal Fund. [1991 c.863 �55]

480.390 Nonretail facilities at airports; rules. (1) As used in this section, �nonretail facility� has the meaning given that term in ORS 480.310.
(2) A person may not construct or install a nonretail facility that dispenses aviation fuels at an airport unless the Director of the Oregon Department of Aviation permits the facility.
(3) The director may not permit the construction or installation of a nonretail facility unless the airport owner permits the facility.
(4) The director shall by rule establish a procedure to give permission for nonretail facilities that dispense aviation fuels at airports. [2001 c.285 �4]

Note: 480.390 was enacted into law by the Legislative Assembly but was not added to or made a part of ORS chapter 480 or any series therein by legislative action. See Preface to Oregon Revised Statutes for further explanation.

romad

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2005 Jetta GLS Wagon "Cranberry"
I was able to reduce those 17 clauses to 1 :D

480.315 Policy. The Legislative Assembly declares that, except as provided in ORS 480.345 to 480.385, it is in the public interest to maintain a prohibition on the self-service dispensing of Class 1 flammable liquids at retail. The Legislative Assembly finds and declares that:
(1) The citizens of Oregon are too stupid to be trusted to fuel their own vehicles.

An amendment to add after the word "vehicles" the following " since they keep electing us" was unanimously defeated.

Unfortunately, the Governor and legislature of the CPR feel the same way about our citizens; at least they haven't gone as far as Oregon yet.

whitedog

Veteran Member
TDI

(1) The citizens of Oregon are too stupid to be trusted to fuel their own vehicles.

An amendment to add after the word "vehicles" the following " since they keep electing us" was unanimously defeated.

Unfortunately, the Governor and legislature of the CPR feel the same way about our citizens; at least they haven't gone as far as Oregon yet.
LOL! That's exactly what it boils down to.

Tarbe

Veteran Member
TDI
Touareg and Sportwagon Sold to VW

Well, somebody had to say it! :D

nois

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat SEL
Wow, the last few days have been busy. We did end up taking US-20 from Craters of the Moon NM to Ontario, OR but then took I-84 toward Portland. We absolutely loved the Columbia River Gorge! The falls were awesome. Went to the Blossom Festival Saturday. We stayed with our friends in Warrenton for a week. Hiked the Fort to Sea trail, went to the Maritime Museum in Astoria, Pier 39 Rogue River Brewery outlet was great, went to Canon Beach. On the way to OR, we visited Arches NP and Canyonlands NP near Moab, UT which I highly recommend.
Now we're in Crescent City, CA and are going to visit the Redwood NP before heading back East. D2 is 4.69 in here! I thought 4.37 in OR was bad. 44 mpg helps though.

No trouble from the Jetta other than the tire pressure warning light when we descended Larch Mt. in the Gorge. The tire pressures were fine - it must have been the fast change in elevation and temp. Reset the light and it's been fine.

Loving the TDI! 6M is awesome on the freeway. The western states are FULL of VWs of all models.

r90sKirk

Veteran Member
TDI
All TDI's - No gassers! Luxo-Tourer = 13 Passat (hands down, the nicest car we've ever owned), Most fun = MK4 Golf
What is the weather typically like out in these areas of Oregon 2nd to 3rd week of November?

thanks,

Kirk

tditom

Top Post Dawg
TDI
formerly: 2001 Golf GL, '97 Passat (RIP) '98 NB, '05 B5 sedan
Kirk-
I just got back from an epic road trip helping my son move from Jackson, MI to Portland! (unfortunately not in a tdi, but in his '95 volvo 850 wagon)

We tried to avoid the interstates because the car was so heavily loaded and we wanted to conserve fuel by driving slower without getting run over.

Here is the route we took:
Day 1
I-94 from MI to the merge with I-80 in IN
I-80 until we hit I-380 in IA (just past Iowa City)
I-380 to US20 near Waterloo, IA - camped in a state park
Day 2/3
US20 to US26 in Shosoni, WY - camped in a park in NE
Day 3/4
US26 to WY22 in Jackson, WY - camped in Bridger-Teton natl park. Took the Teton Pass through the Rockies
Day 4/5
WY22 became ID31 at the state line. took that til we hit US26 again.
US26 to Idaho Falls, ID, then US20 again across the middle of ID until we got to Mountain Home, ID and merged with I-84. Left I-84 just across the OR line and stayed on US20/26 until US26 split off at Vale, OR.
US26 until OR126 in Prineville - stayed in hotel in Prairie City, OR.
Day 5
OR126 til we hit US20 at Sisters, OR
US20 to I-5 (we took this route so we could stop by the med school my son is hoping to attend this fall in Lebanon, OR)
I-5 into Portland.

I cannot over-recommend using the US and state highways over the interstates. The pace of travel will better allow you to appreciate the amazing scenery (especially grateful for that after the mind-numbing trip through IA and NE!). we gave ourselves what we thought was extra time but could have used more to stop and explore more of the nature areas.

Travelling in November you will need to pay heed to weather conditions in the various mountain passes you will encounter. Chains may be required by law in some areas.

Overall just an amazing trip with fantastic roads and scenery!

r90sKirk

Veteran Member
TDI
All TDI's - No gassers! Luxo-Tourer = 13 Passat (hands down, the nicest car we've ever owned), Most fun = MK4 Golf
Whitedog & tdiTom,

I have a daughter and son-in-law in Boise, Idaho now (as of last August), and my wife and I are planning to fly into Boise sometime this fall, and take one of their TDI's, and do a nice PNW circle-trip.

We were thinking of over the T-day break as I'd have less days to take off of work, but we could go earlier if you Oregon experts think it's be wiser?

Neither one of us has been to northern CA, so we were going to head from Boise down to see the Redwoods (Eureka & Crescent City area), then work our way up thru Oregon, and into Washington, then head east back over to the northern panhandle of Idaho, then back south down to Boise. Taking two weeks to do this, and I have already put together a prelim route/daily destinations based on Whitedogs and others comments in this thread already.

Maybe I should post that for Whitedog to review, but wanted an early indication of normal weather conditions for that time of year.

Thanks,

Kirk

whitedog

Veteran Member
TDI
As mentioned earlier, the mountain passes may be dicey in November. Since the car will be from Boise, it will likely be ready for winter conditions, so it shouldn't be a problem.

Go ahead and post up your planned map.