Unexplained Front End Shimmy – Need Help

Fuel_Miser

TDI
2000 Jetta
I have a 2000 Jetta A4. I usually very good at diagnosing problems but this one has me confused. I have a front end shimmy, but only under acceleration or climbing hills. As soon as I lift, the shimmy goes away. I’ve had it into shops twice but everything in the front end seems tight. Of course it never does it when I have it with them. Seems to get worse the longer I drive. It can vary from sight to severe. I can be going up a hill and front end is shaking like hell. I can lift and it goes away entirely. On a recent trip (9 hours) it started shaking so badly at one point I thought I would not reach my destination. I stopped for a while, got back on the road and the shaking had almost completely gone away. I drove another 3 hours. That’s what has me confused. It comes and goes. Lately it seems that while under power when I swerve from side to side it makes more noise when I swerve to the right, but again it goes away completely when I lift. I’ve been trying to diagnose this problem for the last 10,000 miles
If it makes any difference I’m running large 245/40R18 tires
Here’s what I’ve already done.
Rebuilt Injectors and replace nozzles.
Swapped tires from front to rear.
Checked steering components, tie rod ends, and replaced all rubber bushings in the suspension. Any help would be appreciated.

beeman

TDI
2003 jetta tdi 5spd
just did my cv joints last weekend.. smooth so very smooth now. Do it you won't regret it

db252

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Golf 2005 Jetta 2003 Jetta 2001 Golf
Just throwing it out there but how about the dmf?

Fuel_Miser

TDI
2000 Jetta
Just throwing it out there but how about the dmf?
That's something I hadn't considered but I'm more inclined to think its something drive line related, because the rpm of the shake seems to match that of tire rotation. You do have me thinking. I'm going to check into your idea further.

Fuel_Miser

TDI
2000 Jetta
You say that it only occurs under acceleration or under a load, could be your CV joints???
I think that's going to be my next step. Beeman had the same suggestion. I just want to make sure before I replace something. Is that the way a bad CV joint acts? Oddly, I've never had to replace a CV joint before.

PDJetta

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'04 Jetta GLS TDI Pumpe Duce Platinum Grey w/ Leather
"Here’s what I’ve already done.... and replaced all rubber bushings in the suspension"

How about the control arm bushings (rears in particular)?

--Nate

jav

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta GLS - 5 speed
I've had a similar issue..very faint vibration/shimmy only accel. I figured it was CV joints... it's just not bad enough to do anything about it yet. It will eb interesting to know if it fixes your issue.

turbocharged798

Veteran Member
TDI
99.5 black ALH Jetta;09 Gasser Jetta
Its one of your inner CV joints. If you have time, you can take each joint apart, clean, regrease, and reinstall on the opposite axle. This way the balls ride on the oppsite side of the race which usually has very little wear(unless you drive a lot in reverse, most people don't). That's what I did on the 99.5 and it cost me nothing and totally fixed the shimmy on acceleration issue.

Powder Hound

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'00 Golf 4dr White 5sp, '02 Jettachero 5sp, Wife's '03 NB Platinum Gray auto(!)
Ding! Ding! Ding! turbocharged798 is the winner with the most complete and correct answer! Save money! Do it yourself! Learn about your car!

Really, everything he says is right on the money. You probably won't even need new boots for the CV joints. Just at least 10oz of good CV joint grease ( a good EP grease will do, if you can't find Redline CV2 grease) and lots and lots of paper towels.

If you don't have a manual, which tells you how to disassemble the joints, then do a thorough search for more information. There's some threads with good pix on here somewhere.

Cheers!

stevekarns

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Jetta
I think that if you are going to do only one CV joint, there is one that the exhaust cooks, there is a plastic guard that is supposed to prevent it but doesn't really help. I had a shimmy on accel and replaced that one shaft, I'm not with my car now and can't remember for sure which side. I'm sure you can look and see where the exhaust runs right next to the axle on the one side. Was a fairly easy task, and if I remember right the parts weren't to expensive. There are some crap parts out there. On the other end of it, highly recommended on here was RAXLE's out of Florida.

PDJetta

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'04 Jetta GLS TDI Pumpe Duce Platinum Grey w/ Leather
I notice a slight shimmy on my '04 and it is when I unload the engine, but not on engine over run. At 50 MPH plus I have to press the accelerator just enough to not load the drivetrain by accelerating, or decelerating, and then the vibration will occurr. I was suspecting worn inner CV joints, but when I load the engine (accelerate lightly), the shimmy stops. I noticed this all of a sudden one day and in 10,000 miles or so, it has not gotten worse. I even condidered replacing the transaxle pendulum mount. I also believe my rear control arm bushings are worn and plan on replacing them soon.

Any ideas what the shimmy is?

Tx.

--Nate

SoaceMunky

Veteran Member
TDI
Blue Anthracite Golf IV, 13 miles and counting ;)
what's a shimmy? is it like a vibration, but low-frequency, almost like as if the brake rotors were warped?
i've been noticing this ever since the genius at firestone decided to remove the tires with a hammer. vibration at all speeds, and while slowing down. maybe struts, maybe mounts... i'm saving up for a 150000 mile overhaul.

Fuel_Miser

TDI
2000 Jetta
Thanks for every-ones help. I will be doing the CV joints. Not sure if I'm going to replace them or swap them as turbocharged798 suggests. I'm in the middle of a move right now, but as soon as I do I will post the results. Thanks Again, I knew this site wouldn't let me down.

cdods

TDI
2004 Golf
I have the same problem. Before I go and replace or swap the CV joints, is there any other way I can confirm the diagnosis?

JBee

TDI
2005 Jetta TDI
I had the same issue. It would only vibrate on acceleration from about 55-75. I got new tires and that fixed the issue. Just an idea...maybe try rotating to see if that helps or changes anything.

Fuel_Miser

TDI
2000 Jetta
I took the time yesterday to replace the CV Halfshafts. Problem solved. I would have liked to take turbocharged978's suggestion and switch them around but I just didn't have the time. Thanks everyone for your help!!